• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Starting QB for Saturday

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Difference of opinion. We were timing one throw to the sidelines with a calendar.

Didn't say they ALL had zip ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

24 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

We're you watching on TV? Being there my son-in-law and I both thought he lacked velocity. He's actually played some football unlike me so I trust his judgment.

I thought he was playing soft toss on the sideline passes...but a few had zip yes...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

13 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I am not a Jordan hater but the quick passes to the WRs take a long time to get there. He's fairly accurate but are strength isn't a plus.

My sons still come over to watch.  We all picked up on same observation.  Need to improve passing or don’t call.  Going to get some guys blown up. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Days Won:  28

I view Noah Johnson just like Jordan Travis at FSU. FSU finally gave him a chance and they are at least competitive now.  I feel Noah can do the same

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

7 hours ago, Brad said:

My sons still come over to watch.  We all picked up on same observation.  Need to improve passing or don’t call.  Going to get some guys blown up. 

Anyone that has had to wait on one of those ducks knows what is up, every split second is scary, not only do you not have an opportunity to go downfield  but you are going to get blown up for a 3 yd loss as it flutters your way.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

45 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I view Noah Johnson just like Jordan Travis at FSU. FSU finally gave him a chance and they are at least competitive now.  I feel Noah can do the same

He is super quick...easily our fastest QB. Would like to see him start and see how he does. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

McCloud doesnt have the arm. He cant run great and has happy feet stuttering. He slows down and dances and doesn't get yardage.

Johnson has wheels. 

Fortin is rather unknown for USF.

Marsh has an arm but had terrible decisions. He is young but has raw talent.

Smith is unknown.

I say roll Fortin, Marsh, and Smith. Put Johnson in to run options and run some schemes to.fit him if we.are.getting blown out or a change of pace qb.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I specifically remember one of the ESPN announcer, after a McCloud pass down the middle, saying "McCloud with a bullet to _____" (Forget which receiver he threw to).

Did the announcer lie?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

9 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I specifically remember one of the ESPN announcer, after a McCloud pass down the middle, saying "McCloud with a bullet to _____" (Forget which receiver he threw to).

Did the announcer lie?

If there's one thing coaches can figure out in practice is whether a qb has the arm to make all the throws they'll be asking of him. To say he doesn't have the arm is pretty clueless ......... but that doesn't mean he always utilizes that arm to the best of his ability and that seems to be the case with JM.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

The difference between a "good" and "very good" (to great) QB is that they can help out or mask issues with the offensive line.  I do not think anyone believes we have a "very good" QB at this point.  McCloud is the type of QB which defensive minded coaches like Strong like to have.   He plays within himself and generally will not make the disastrous mistakes.  The problem is Strong (and now Scott) have failed to provide a good defense and a strong running game with the necessary lines for a guy like McCloud to excel. Now, if you want to state that given our situation another QB should be given more time behind center, I would not disagree. Given the fact that last season Evans ran through ECU's defense, I wondered why Johnson saw no action. 

• Upvote 1