• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 voted 10-2 for not playing football this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

8 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

If they play football, they get tested weekly and if positive it gets addressed immediately. If we cancel the season, they go back to their hometowns and do NOT get tested weekly so if they catch it they may not have gotten it treated right away and could pass it on to family. They are safer playing football.  Unless you have symptoms or want to lie about having symptoms, it's not easy getting tested...at least in Georgia. 

I do not buy this logic for 2 reasons

1) This argument can be made for any student at any university in the US.  By singling our football players, you are prioritizing their health over the rest of the student body

2) increased testing means increased cost, which is fine for wealthy programs like Alabama, but what about lower level programs?  I am guessing that the cost gets passed to the tax payer (for public universities) and the student body for private ones.  Again, this prioritizes athletes health over that of the general public, where everyone can benefit

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

On 8/10/2020 at 10:33 AM, puc86 said:

It’s on quite the streak

You want Grandma to die!

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

You want Grandma to die!

I would say I’m more politely indifferent to things that are inevitable more so than wanting something to happen...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Days Won:  28

12 hours ago, bowman1 said:

I do not buy this logic for 2 reasons

1) This argument can be made for any student at any university in the US.  By singling our football players, you are prioritizing their health over the rest of the student body

2) increased testing means increased cost, which is fine for wealthy programs like Alabama, but what about lower level programs?  I am guessing that the cost gets passed to the tax payer (for public universities) and the student body for private ones.  Again, this prioritizes athletes health over that of the general public, where everyone can benefit

1. If there is no football we really lose money. Football brings USF REVENUE

2. Singling out football players? Yes they are football players that bring this school revenue.

3. If they are RISKING their health to play football that brings this school revenue then yes we test them weekly like we been doing.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

Now that the other conferences have not joined the Pac 12 and BIG 10 they are trying to rush forward a plan for spring...a couple of key things here...peak cold and flu season is between Dec and Feb...and continual playing for that amount of time...spring football is not happening...there are many other variables beyond those two that send this into the ground...if the other conferences do end up cancelling fall (I actually think the season will start now) the restart won't happen till the following fall...

Edited by DJBulls

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

1. If there is no football we really lose money. Football brings USF REVENUE

2. Singling out football players? Yes they are football players that bring this school revenue.

3. If they are RISKING their health to play football that brings this school revenue then yes we test them weekly like we been doing.

Ah, you hit on the key point - revenue 

Keep in-mind that USF (like all colleges and universities) is an educational institution, not a pro sports team, so revenue should not be a consideration (even though in reality it is the driving factor in most cases)

My point is that the coach’s argument about player safety is a bit hollow

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Logic is on the side of Saban, Herman and most likely Scott. They have 100+ young men plus staff under their care. Many coaches feel they can keep the players safer, healthier and less exposed than if they went home. Makes sense. Money?? that old evil thing that oddly makes the world go around. How many colleges, alumni want to see their football program fold? It could w/o funding. Can they play safely? That's the big unknown just like opening up America??? Testing? if you have a university like USF that has a medical school then you should be able to test players/students/staffs. Provide an in-depth safety protocol and if...someone gets the virus? Provide great treatment. Players/Parents can opt to have their child play or not play. I found it interesting that Desmond Howard tore Nebraska's Scott a new one because he spoke out about wanting to play. He didnt mention old Harbaugh who has been vocal too. I think the B10 jumped the gun and panicked now they have to live with it good or bad. I like that USF/AAC (along w/ others) are moving forward making an attempt. Worse case: we dont play but, we get to have the live practices that the Team didnt get last Spring.  

• Upvote 2