• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball America AAC Preview

Guest Jonesy Bull
7 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I think what we’re going to find out is that Mohl is a pretty good pitching coach, not much more.

This combined with a couple of different people saying he is not a very good recruiter is not giving the warm fuzzies for this guy.  

This may end up being the year that we basically clean house with our below average Coaches.  Which in the long run is not a bad thing.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

The team seems fired up, which is good, but I’m concerned where the offensive production is going to come from. I’m hoping we have a few guys step up and we win some games, but if not we could be looking at an ugly season.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

12 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Does Coach Mohl survive if we are lower than 7th in conference?

he shouldnt

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Good analysis.  Thanks!

Its a little concerning that he is not lighting it up on the recruiting trail as you say.  As we know for all sports.  That is where the bread is buttered.

Will be interesting to see which way we trend this year.

He had been with Kingston most of his coaching career and those stops weren't in FL until Kingston came here. Maybe he doesn't have any long term relationships in the state which is hampering the recruiting???  Would like to see us be more competitive this year. We'll start to get an idea pretty soon.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

USF Perfect Game Recruiting Classes Rankings 

2012 58th (Prado)

2013 57th (Prado)

2014 72 (Prado)

2015 3 (Prado/Kingston)

2016 40 (Kingston)

2017 86 (Kingston)

2018 70 (Kingston/Mohl)

2019 70 (Mohl)

2020 53 (Mohl)

2021 30 (Mohl)

2022 28 (Mohl)

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,098
  • Days Won:  56

18 hours ago, JTrue said:

Not a chance if we finish at the bottom again. So far, he's not lighting up the recruiting trail, but there's a learning curve at our level if you're taking projects who aren't yet ready to contribute, so it remains to be seen on his ability to bring in talent (or projectable talent). He had one very good year and one garbage year. This is the tiebreaker, I guess. We've never been a good program for any long stretch, so its hard to say we "should" be better, but I've got to think we can find someone to at least get us into the top 3 more often than not. I know we had injuries last year, so I'm hopeful we trend in the right direction this season, but at some point, you've got to produce. Shrempf is projected to be the real deal, so there's that. 

I agree with nearly everything you wrote, except the idea that "we've never been a good program for any long stretch." From 1984-1997 we only had two losing seasons and went to seven NCAA Regionals. That's a pretty good stretch.

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 hours ago, jamesbebe said:

USF Perfect Game Recruiting Classes Rankings 

2012 58th (Prado)

2013 57th (Prado)

2014 72 (Prado)

2015 3 (Prado/Kingston)

2016 40 (Kingston)

2017 86 (Kingston)

2018 70 (Kingston/Mohl)

2019 70 (Mohl)

2020 53 (Mohl)

2021 30 (Mohl)

2022 28 (Mohl)

So this source is saying that the recruiting rankings are getting better with Mohl?  How can there be rankings already for 21 and 22, not sure how much stock I put in that.

I dont put much stock in rankings anyway.  Im going to trust Chapel and Jtrue analysis of the recruiting more than this website.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

So this source is saying that the recruiting rankings are getting better with Mohl?  How can there be rankings already for 21 and 22, not sure how much stock I put in that.

I dont put much stock in rankings anyway.  Im going to trust Chapel and Jtrue analysis of the recruiting more than this website.

Could be projections based on current commits?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I agree with nearly everything you wrote, except the idea that "we've never been a good program for any long stretch." From 1984-1997 we only had two losing seasons and went to seven NCAA Regionals. That's a pretty good stretch.

Actually, you could even expand that a little and say from 1982-2002 we won 5 conference championships and 10 regional appearances. In our history, it looks like we had a solid middle 20 years, but we had a rough first couple decades and a pretty ugly last couple decades. So we're 2/3 oof and 1/3 good, but not great.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Actually, you could even expand that a little and say from 1982-2002 we won 5 conference championships and 10 regional appearances. In our history, it looks like we had a solid middle 20 years, but we had a rough first couple decades and a pretty ugly last couple decades. So we're 2/3 oof and 1/3 good, but not great.

Yet we still have never won a Regional.  I know we came close a couple times but never quite got over that hump.

Mohl has to be on MKs hot seat. Time to shiite or get off the pot!

Edited by Jonesy Bull