• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shaun King

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

How has he not been hired yet? The people on this board make him out to be the next Don Shula.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I could be wrong but I think Shaun King is a nice guy and get's along well with most of the players. 

That is probably why he has had some success at recruiting. 

However, I haven't seen anything to lend me to believe that he is a great coach. I suspect he will always be that fun guy coach that is kind of hidden on any coaching staff. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

12 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

How has he not been hired yet? The people on this board make him out to be the next Don Shula.

Sometimes great people don't get hired.

Sometimes people aren't hired because they aren't great.

I don't know what the situation is here but for all the accolades and the recruiting awards I'd have thought he'd have a job by now.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

21 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Sometimes great people don't get hired.

Sometimes people aren't hired because they aren't great.

I don't know what the situation is here but for all the accolades and the recruiting awards I'd have thought he'd have a job by now.

There will be another flurry of coaching movement late this week after the majority of the bowls are done and more when the national coaching convention happens shortly after. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,523
  • Days Won:  28

On 12/24/2019 at 4:05 PM, Friscobull said:

Our running backs production the last couple of years has been ordinary at best, we had a hodgepodge of garbage the last few games and one skinny freshman with a history of injuries as our only returning RB with experience.I know the QB, Oline stinks etc..  but his guys did not exactly set the world on fire, Kronkrite actually regressed under his tutelage.

I was going to let this go, but what exactly makes Shaun King A bad coach? He was the AAC top recruiter in 2017 and here is his body of work. 

Shaun King (2016) QB Coach - 

Quinton Flowers was the American Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2016, rushing for 1,530 yards and 18 touchdowns, while throwing for 2,812 yards and 24 touchdowns with only 7 interceptions. Flowers was second nationally in ESPN's Total QBR statistic in 2016

2017 - Running Back coach - (he almost had (3) 1000 yard rushers AFTER Marlon Mack left and we thought the world would end - 

Quinton Flowers - 1078 rushing yards

Darius Tice - 943 rushing yards

D'Ernest Johnson - 796 rushing yards

2018  - 

1    Jordan Cronkrite 1121 rushing yards at 6.1   per carry
2    Johnny Ford    787 rushing yards at   6.8    

2019 - 

Offensive line and offense just sucked and we still had 2000 yards rushing as a team. Crokrite was also not healthy.

I'm moving on from Shaun King but dont chit on the man b/c you are excited about the new staff. He paid his dues and will get another chance to coach somewhere else. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You keep saying this.  It really is the primary reason. I posted the numbers a day or two ago with the APRs.  For some reason you refuse to read or believe it.  

OK, I'll take your word for it, I'm sure you have more information on this than I do.

I just think tactilly, he didn't do a very good job either while Coaching here.  Maybe it has everything to do with the talent on the field, I guess that is possible.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, slowdown said:

I won't say he hasn't been successful but it's not like he has even won CUSA since leaving here, he just got his first ten win season ever in Div 1a, and btw la tech was in okay shape when he took the job. 

In his time at La Tech - Marshall, ECU, Rice, WKU, Old Dominion, FAU, and UAB managed ten win seasons before he did. FAU managing a worst to first turnaround, old dominion moved up from FCS and UAB  literally not fielding a team for a couple years before they did. 

So we aren't talking about a guy who wins 12-13 games a year in lower conferences.  Everything in his career says he would be at best a 7-6 coach here in this conference on average.  Put the academic restrictions in there as well as a lot of negative recruiting momentum with the crumbling Big East, a few bad breaks on the field,  and you got yourself a 3 win coach. Adds up to me

I was pretty hopeful when he came on board, I thought that he could do pretty well here.

But I agree, he is an average to maybe slightly above average coach, and I don't really think he would be able to get it done at our level or higher.  I know he did OK at ECU, and seemed to be an up and coming coach at the time, but it wasn't a good fit here, and I doubt even without the "academic restrictions" he would have just done average here.  Just my guess.

OK - you guys sucked me in to "living in the past" again - Darn it!

Edited by Jonesy Bull

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

why didnt taggart hired king?

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Shaun King really wanted to Coach with CJL, that's why he's not here.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

44 minutes ago, smazza said:

why didnt taggart hired king?

He is still trying to figure out a way to hide Raymond Woodie on his staff. 😀

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2017/12/19/16774062/fsu-hires-raymond-woodie-defensive-assitant-coach-willie-taggart-oregon

• Haha 1