• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Really Wanted Coach Strong To Succeed

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Well... that's a ****** model lol. I get it for proven coaches in higher profile gigs. Similar to how executives will get severance, etc. But to pay someone whether they succeed or fail is BS.

Edited by Sk00b

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Clearly I would have the worst coach in NCAA if I was AD. Either that or someone really hungry to climb into pay for failure. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

As I walked out of Navy’s stadium I knew then the season was ******. 

But the dinner afterward was great.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

Well... that's a ****** model lol. I get it for proven coaches in higher profile gigs. Similar to how executives will get severance, etc. But to pay someone whether they succeed or fail is BS.

Indeed, but it’s what the market is willing to accept. 

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

But the dinner afterward was great.

Indeed it was my friend...the best part of the entire **** trip. 

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Sk00b said:

Craziest **** thing I will never understand. How they hell did contracts ever get to the point where when you fail you still get rewarded. Wtf man... You're telling me that if a clause is written in that if you suck you dont get paid we won't be able to find a coach?

Our AD Made a comment about this when he was hired in 2017.

“To me, losing football games is [reason for being] terminated with cause,” he said. “And the protection that coaches are provided with in their contracts to me is ludicrous. I want to be a leader in the industry and how we write our coaches’ contracts moving forward, so that there’s not 100% guaranteed [salary] protection for their contracts.”

There are numerous examples, but Yurachek made particular reference to former Texas A&M head football coach Kevin Sumlin, who was fired after six years and a 51-26 record.

Because of a raise and contract extension awarded to him in 2013, Sumlin will still be paid the $10.4 million he would have been paid if he hadn’t been fired by the university, according to his employment contract.

“Coaches deserve some protection,” Yurachek said Wednesday. “The expectations they face are so high, especially in our league and in other Power 5 leagues. But for Kevin Sumlin to get paid 100% of his contract at $10 million, I think that was a mistake. Now, I’m not at Texas A&M and I know we compete against them in our conference and they’ll probably hold that against me, but that is a mistake in our industry.”

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

20 minutes ago, pioneerb said:

Our AD Made a comment about this when he was hired in 2017.

“To me, losing football games is [reason for being] terminated with cause,” he said. “And the protection that coaches are provided with in their contracts to me is ludicrous. I want to be a leader in the industry and how we write our coaches’ contracts moving forward, so that there’s not 100% guaranteed [salary] protection for their contracts.”

There are numerous examples, but Yurachek made particular reference to former Texas A&M head football coach Kevin Sumlin, who was fired after six years and a 51-26 record.

Because of a raise and contract extension awarded to him in 2013, Sumlin will still be paid the $10.4 million he would have been paid if he hadn’t been fired by the university, according to his employment contract.

“Coaches deserve some protection,” Yurachek said Wednesday. “The expectations they face are so high, especially in our league and in other Power 5 leagues. But for Kevin Sumlin to get paid 100% of his contract at $10 million, I think that was a mistake. Now, I’m not at Texas A&M and I know we compete against them in our conference and they’ll probably hold that against me, but that is a mistake in our industry.”

So who are you leaning towards for your next coach?

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

So who are you leaning towards for your next coach?

I have no idea. I usually don't get too caught up in coaching searches til its finalized.Everybody claims to have sources

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 PM, pioneerb said:

Try having your two favorite college teams go 15-34 over the past two years.

If you count this year it would be 6-18. You would think I would pick better teams.

You might as well stick to your guns. People who bandwagon to the best teams are the worst kind of people. RollTide

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

You might as well stick to your guns. People who bandwagon to the best teams are the worst kind of people. RollTide

I hate that mentality of people too.  They arent real fans.  Haha I see what you did there!

Being a Bulls and Bucs fan I can say definitively that I am not one of those people.  Maybe Im just a masochist!

Edited by Jonesy Bull

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

32 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I hate that mentality of people too.  They arent real fans.  Haha I see what you did there!

Being a Bulls and Bucs fan I can say definitively that I am not one of those people.  Maybe Im just a masochist!

At least we won that SuperBowl so I’m happy with that