• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Patrick Macon medical redshirt?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, BayIslandBull said:

Doubt it. He can't redshirt twice, and he's not eligible for a medical hardship since he played more than 30% of the season (and played in the second half of th

Well read the rules then comment. 

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

43 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

Well read the rules then comment. 

I did. Maybe you should before soliciting comments by starting a post, d i c k h e a d...

Edited by BayIslandBull
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BayIslandBull said:

I did. Maybe you should before soliciting comments by starting a post, d i c k h e a d...

So post what you read to substantiate your position. Cheerleader...

"Medical redshirts are approved for players who meet strict criteria: They must have suffered the season-ending injury during the first half of the season, and they could not have played in more than three games before sustaining the injury."

"Macon signed with OSU as a part of the 2017 recruiting class to high acclaim, having earned All-American honors at the junior college level out of Arizona Western. However as a junior last season, Macon did not play as he acclimated to the Division I level."

So Macon redshirted last year leaving him with 2 years of eligibility to play. So this is his third year of playing and therefore he has one more year.

Edited by Corey lea

18 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

So post what you read to substantiate your position. Cheerleader...

"Medical redshirts are approved for players who meet strict criteria: They must have suffered the season-ending injury during the first half of the season, and they could not have played in more than three games before sustaining the injury."

"Macon signed with OSU as a part of the 2017 recruiting class to high acclaim, having earned All-American honors at the junior college level out of Arizona Western. However as a junior last season, Macon did not play as he acclimated to the Division I level."

So Macon redshirted last year leaving him with 2 years of eligibility to play. So this is his third year of playing and therefore he has one more year.

Per this board- https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Board/59416/Contents/Patrick-Macon-130777609/

Macon is transferring to USF as a graduate transfer. He is a 6'3" 244 pound linebacker from Oklahoma state. He will have 2 seasons of eligibility left. He was injured at OSU but was the national defensive player of the year at Arizona Western. Definitely worth a flyer.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  2

Per the daily stampede article announcing the transfer 

We’ve reached out to Patrick Macon via Twitter and he informed The Daily Stampede that he will enroll at USF in the summer and will petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility for the 2020 season due to missing the 2018 because of injury.

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/4/1/18290900/usf-football-lands-oklahoma-state-grad-transfer-linebacker-patrick-macon-charlie-strong-mike-gundy

3 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Then there you have it... It would be awesome to have him back for another season. The same way with Barnett. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

8 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

Then there you have it... It would be awesome to have him back for another season. The same way with Barnett. 

he took a red shirt year already. doesn't look like it was due to injury. not sure how they will rule or if they have but the rule states:

2.8.1.5.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a studentathlete
with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five-year
period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control
of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate
for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period.

and later

12.8.1.5.1.2 Circumstances Within Control. Circumstances that are considered to be within the
control of the student-athlete or the institution and cause a participation opportunity to be used include,
but are not limited to, the following

(d) Redshirt year;

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839

NCAA usually doesn’t grant a 6th year to a player who took a non injury redshirt year. 6 years are usually for players who had multiple injury years. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Corey lea said:

Well done Corey Lea...you called it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bullsfan1983 said:

NCAA usually doesn’t grant a 6th year to a player who took a non injury redshirt year. 6 years are usually for players who had multiple injury years. 

The point is that they do and he is petitioning for a sixth. If he gets it...then great. I know it sucks to be wrong, but you are arguing with a former d1 and professional baseball player and scout. Most of the time I just listen to some of the garbage spewed on here...others I decide to interject an opinion. Not always popular, but I have my reasons from experience. I also put a question mark behind it. Barnett could be very good in this system if we raid the portal on the O side.