• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls returning talent while Memphis shops for it

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

I just hope that Penny can live up to the standard of excellence former NBA All Stars have set:  Chris Mullen at St. John's and Clyde Drexler at Houston and Avery Johnson at Alabama and Mark Price at UNCC. All 5 were can't miss hires. 

That is pretty much my point.  Former NBA players as coaches haven't had a very good track record of success......Might be different with Penny, but we don't know that yet.....We do know he can recruit.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

33 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

That is pretty much my point.  Former NBA players as coaches haven't had a very good track record of success......Might be different with Penny, but we don't know that yet.....We do know he can recruit.

Johnny Dawkins is doing okay much to our chagrin.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

18 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That Precious name is just terrible...who the hell would do that to a child? 

Sauron, just ask Frodo.

• Haha 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

He did pretty well with a very veteran team.....Now that they are kind of in rebuilding mode, lets see if he can keep that up.  I'm leaning towards "having my doubts".

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

Dawkins is different. 

1. He wasn't a star player, he was a role players. His career numbers are solid, but not a star, think of him as the 6th-8th best scorer on a team. 

2. He wasn't hired as a head coach because of his star power as a player, he paid his dues as an college assistant coach before becoming a head coach. 

My point was the flashy hires because of their name as a NBA star have struggled in recent years. I think in part guys like Drexler, just assumed that him showing up would make it a success. While coaching in college is a lot of hard work. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457

Just now, Mike Stuben said:

Dawkins is different. 

1. He wasn't a star player, he was a role players. His career numbers are solid, but not a star, think of him as the 6th-8th best scorer on a team. 

2. He wasn't hired as a head coach because of his star power as a player, he paid his dues as an college assistant coach before becoming a head coach. 

My point was the flashy hires because of their name as a NBA star have struggled in recent years. I think in part guys like Drexler, just assumed that him showing up would make it a success. While coaching in college is a lot of hard work. 

One more example on Penny. He was the only coach who didn't know the Refs names. (my seats are great to listen to coaches)

Not that every coach has to learn every refs name, but most have a cheat sheet handy or something. He didn't even try. It actually sounded silly hearing him yell out, "Hey ref"

I'm sure that other coaches forget in the moment, but they can hide it by choosing their words carefully when talking/yelling to the refs. 

This is not picking on Penny, you don't learn the art of coaching overnight, but he needs an assistant like we had in Murry Bartow who can help him with the details. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

40 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

He did pretty well with a very veteran team.....Now that they are kind of in rebuilding mode, lets see if he can keep that up.  I'm leaning towards "having my doubts".

He also did pretty well his 8 years at Stanford overall. His last 5 years had 2 NIT championships and a NCAA Sweet 16 ..... but never did that well in conference play which I assume is why he was let go .............. the aholes up northeast were lucky to get him.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061

1st season 22 and 14, 11 and 7 in conference with a bomb recruiting class coming in.

I think Penny is just fine.

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, Triple B said:

He also did pretty well his 8 years at Stanford overall. His last 5 years had 2 NIT championships and a NCAA Sweet 16 ..... but never did that well in conference play which I assume is why he was let go .............. the aholes up northeast were lucky to get him.

Yeah he was pretty good at Stanford.  It will be harder to recruit to Oveido.  But they did get alot of publicity from that Duke game, so they could get a bump from that.  

I honestly think we have the better coach of the two though.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/10/2019 at 10:01 AM, Jonesy Bull said:

Not sure you can judge Penny's overall coaching ability from that game.  He may very turn out to be a great coach (not just a great recruiter), I have no idea.....although I will say the history of former NBA players as Coaches is not as good as most people would expect.

That said, Memphis is definitely on its way back from Basketball obscurity, possibly to greatness.  Time will tell.

Oh I don't judge his ability to coach on that one game. For example, he took Memphis to Wichita State and won at Koch Arena which is one of the most difficult places for a visiting team to win. When his team left Tampa they were 5-4 in the conference and they finished 11-7 and made it to the NIT.

His team got better as the season went on. The guy can coach. We'll see how good next season when he has a bunch of guys who all need the ball to be effective.

I don't think any former NBA player has as much experience coaching young guys as Penny had when he took the Memphis job. Penny coached MS, HS & AAU. He has an ability to connect with kids beyond "I was a NBA star and a star at this school so you should listen to me."