• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls returning talent while Memphis shops for it

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I love USF basketball but I think there is a gap there already. Only time will tell. Looking forward to Nov. 

I still think experience and continuity is big, and dont forget we have a pretty **** good coach -  very possibly better than Penny.  And its not like we are devoid of talent.

I do put Memphis a little ahead of USF today....but by no means...a big gap.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, Jonesy Bull said:

I still think experience and continuity is big, and dont forget we have a pretty **** good coach -  very possibly better than Penny.  And its not like we are devoid of talent.

I agree with the coaching...we own them there. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

7 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I am not as optimistic, this is almost a fab 5 type class, or at least one of the most hyped in recent memory.  We will need Durr and Kirr to stop the number 1 center and a 5 star? Precious is a 5 star as well, no idea how they will play together but that is a lot of talent.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Its a great accomplishment for an AAC team to have the top recruiting class.

But your right, question is will he be able to keep that ongoing.....Maybe but I doubt it.  I do believe though that Penny is a really good get for Memphis.

Wiseman is definitely one-and-done. He should be a lottery pick. His commitment alone will cause other five-star prospects to consider Memphis.

Penny was a NBA All-Star PG so he should never have difficulty recruiting high level point guards. Get a really good PG and really good bigs often follow.

Penny and Mike Miller are going to be able to recruit. Penny is going to be able to draw up plays.

This is why Memphis fans were so twisted when they hired Tubby.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree with the coaching...we own them there. 

I dunno. That was a HELLUVA coaching job by Penny after his team trailed 27-1, was held to just 4 first half field goals and trailed 38-13 at halftime.

No WAY did I expect Memphis to score 65 second half points. On the road? LOL didn't see that coming. Their defensive pressure in the second half was terrific. Keeping his team's head in the game and convincing them that the game wasn't over at halftime was impressive. 

He may not have 20 years of college coaching experience but I've been telling people for over a year that anyone who underestimates Penny Hardaway's coaching ability is either poorly informed, biased or is being foolish.

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,088
  • Days Won:  56

On 6/10/2019 at 1:27 AM, Basketball Jones said:

I dunno. That was a HELLUVA coaching job by Penny after his team trailed 27-1, was held to just 4 first half field goals and trailed 38-13 at halftime.

No WAY did I expect Memphis to score 65 second half points. On the road? LOL didn't see that coming. Their defensive pressure in the second half was terrific. Keeping his team's head in the game and convincing them that the game wasn't over at halftime was impressive. 

He may not have 20 years of college coaching experience but I've been telling people for over a year that anyone who underestimates Penny Hardaway's coaching ability is either poorly informed, biased or is being foolish.

Eh, they just had one guy who couldn’t miss a shot for 20 minutes. We scored 46 points after halftime.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

6 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Being an NBA point guard is very beneficial to the head coach transition.  Over your playing career you have been in, seen, and executed a plethora of plays. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,450
  • Days Won:  13

Memphis is going to be **** good next year. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Not sure you can judge Penny's overall coaching ability from that game.  He may very turn out to be a great coach (not just a great recruiter), I have no idea.....although I will say the history of former NBA players as Coaches is not as good as most people would expect.

That said, Memphis is definitely on its way back from Basketball obscurity, possibly to greatness.  Time will tell.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

I just hope that Penny can live up to the standard of excellence former NBA All Stars have set:  Chris Mullen at St. John's and Clyde Drexler at Houston and Avery Johnson at Alabama and Mark Price at UNCC. All 5 were can't miss hires. 

All kidding aside, Memphis better deliver this year, because if this team doesn't win and the players don't parlay this into NBA big contracts, it may hurt future classes to fail to live up to the hype.