• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kerwin Bell assumes ‘total control’ of USF offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

12 minutes ago, G8RLegist said:

I agree completely. I don’t recall it ever happening. Although Scott Frost took his back up QB with him to Nebraska last year. 

I just thought it was an interesting idea. Very little chance it happens for any number of reasons. But I will say that Rogan Wells’ older brother played for Kerwin at Jacksonville. Maybe the ties are strong enough. Who knows. 

I'd gladly take the kid as a walk on.   Just not a scholly, gotta earn that and we are going to be hard after a QB this cycle that Bell gets to hand pick.

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

16 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I'd gladly take the kid as a walk on.   Just not a scholly, gotta earn that and we are going to be hard after a QB this cycle that Bell gets to hand pick.

I can see having to earn the scholarship. Will USF be at it’s full 85 limit this year?

Speaking of QB recruits for Bell, it would be awesome if he could pull Tucker Gleason from Plant. I think he’d Be a perfect fit. 

Edited by G8RLegist

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Going fast sucks in the red zone though...

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Going fast sucks in the red zone though...

How so?

1 minute ago, G8RLegist said:

How so?

1. Linemen don’t get lined up correctly 

2. Offsides is pretty common as offense gets too focused on scoring and loses focus.

All of these happend during CWT era...not all the time but enough to notice. 

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

2. Offsides is pretty common as offense gets too focused on scoring and loses focus.

This is where that whole "we want to go fast but not so fast that it negatively impacts our execution" thing comes in.   Going fast is definitely an advantage as you can keep the defense in an unfavorable package or sub package, or keep them tired and on the field.  The offense has to do it's part though.  Like Bell says, execute at a high level.   

Edited by Bull Dozer

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ha! That still happens in the CWT era, just at a different school. :)  I think going fast in the red zone can be even more effective than the rest of the field, provided you do what Kerwin says and only go as fast as proper execution allows. Kerwin’s Red zone efficiency percentage numbers were in the 90’s, I think I read. So I think he gets it. 

36 minutes ago, G8RLegist said:

I can see having to earn the scholarship. Will USF be at it’s full 85 limit this year?

Speaking of QB recruits for Bell, it would be awesome if he could pull Tucker Gleason from Plant. I think he’d Be a perfect fit. 

We will be a bit under after we sign our class (2-3 more kids at most) but I know the staff wants to try to hit the transfer portal hard after the dust settles and in the spring too.   I would love to get Gleason but we haven't had the best luck in the past when it comes to landing Plant QBs.  Hopefully Bell can help us turn that corner.  

As for Wells I think making him walk on sends the right message to the guys already here.  If you have Bell bring his guy on Scholly that sets the table for the kids already here to start looking for favoritism and they will find it, even if it's not there.   Bell would have to be almost harder on Wells than the other QBs to avoid that from happening even without the scholly.   It's a potentially problematic dynamic to bring to a locker room right off the bat, especially when the percentages say that kid can't play at this level.  Kids end up at D2 for a reason.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

5 minutes ago, G8RLegist said:

Ha! That still happens in the CWT era, just at a different school. :)  I think going fast in the red zone can be even more effective than the rest of the field, provided you do what Kerwin says and only go as fast as proper execution allows. Kerwin’s Red zone efficiency percentage numbers were in the 90’s, I think I read. So I think he gets it. 

And this to me was the most important statement he made the entire press conference. This will be key to getting TDs instead of FGs. 

13 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I would love to get Gleason but we haven't had the best luck in the past when it comes to landing Plant QBs..  

Umm, you’ve got one right now. Charlie living next to Plant doesn’t hurt, and getting a high flying offense should help too.