• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well...what did you think?

Guest S.  Bien

As expected.  We didn't give UCF anything to look at and just stuck to basic run plays the entire game.

This is a good sign.  If you recall the past two years we let 1-AA teams give us fits in the game, TTech and Nicholls State.  We let them hang around, never executed properly, and played those games to close.  This year we go out and just put it to FAMU.  There was no mental errors on defense they just simply swarmed and didn't give FAMU an inch.  On offense we stuck to straight vanilla, and when PJ was in he looked very good.  I am also pleased with the starting OL, they just look dominant and played strong not passive.

All in all it looked like a very good game.  The only area of concern was the holder, we need to get the FG game shored up that could haunt us if we don't.

UCF isn't going to be easy.  They've had two weeks to prepare, they're healthy and hungry.  This game gave great exercise to our running game which was important.  It really gave our OL confidence.  This game will help later down the road because we got a lot of guys playing time today, we made enough mistakes that we've got things to take care of, and we absolutely dominated from the opening kick off so the mental mistakes were gone, and the guys were all about business.  Something we hadn't done the past two years even against 1-AA comp.  PJ looked comfortable and fluid, and Chad Simpson is simply a speed merchant that kid is FAST!

I am not worried about the penalties because over half came in the second half, and I counted 4 by the OL in a 4th quarter drive alone when all were 2nd teamers.  We still need to be a bit more opportunistic on offense, catch passes, block that extra man longer, get open and hold onto the ball.  Minimize the mistakes next week, no turnovers, and feed Hall and we should win against UCF.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  685
  • Content Count:  7,646
  • Days Won:  6

Thanks, GSJ - I never knew the rules were different with the coin toss.

Guest S.  Bien

Oh, and on defense we did what we did by playing basic coverage, and by barily blitzing.  We played a very vanilla defense today, again to not give UCF too much, and that's a good sign that in base formations we were able to still completely clobber FAMU- who does have some decent athletes- from the opening play to the closing play.

On defense it was great to see the intensity maintained from the opening kick-off until the final whistle.  Even with 2nd and 3rd team defensive players in there they still shut down FAMU, and played exceptional- another good sign for the defense.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

yea i noticed we got the ball both times... also the direction we were going changed every qtr instead of 1st and 4th the same and 2nd and 3rd the same

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  685
  • Content Count:  7,646
  • Days Won:  6

Bien, do you really think the holder was the problem with the 3 Benzer misses?  I could not tell from the replays.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Bien, do you really think the holder was the problem with the 3 Benzer misses?  I could not tell from the replays.

Snaps were bad on two of them ....... Hasn't Baker been the holder his whole time here?

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

I am not worried about the penalties because over half came in the second half, and I counted 4 by the OL in a 4th quarter drive alone when all were 2nd teamers.  We still need to be a bit more opportunistic on offense, catch passes, block that extra man longer, get open and hold onto the ball.  Minimize the mistakes next week, no turnovers, and feed Hall and we should win against UCF.

Around 75% of the USF penalties occured in the second half. My worry is that these depth players correct these mistakes.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291

Denson did not show or have confidence if he can play as QB since why can't he throw some more balls against easy defense like FAMU instead run too much especially 30 points ahead.  He can't do that against other opponents this year. He fumbled and lost a ball once again.  I think next year or 2 years from now, Carlton Hill has more chance to be starter.

UCF game next week should be very close game and I predict USF will win by 3 points.  ;)

Go Bulls!!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I think the defense is back.  Maybe not with a vengenance but they are good.  Our LBs are excellent.  Nicholas, Moffit & St Louis will be one of the best groups in the BE by Nov. and if Stevie Nicks shuns the NFL for USF in '06 we'll be talking Top 10 in the nation.  DEs are improved too.  Prolly due to TJ.  Tim Jones is a stud especially vs. D1AA teams.  Hall is the horse that will pull this wagon to a bowl game.  Denson is quick as a greased pig on speed but his arm is crap and he scares me the way he carries the rock.  Mike Jenkins will be All World by his senior yr.  I think the 2005 OL is better than the 2004 OL.  I see talent in Carlton Hill but if what I've heard about Grant Gregory is true Grant may be the man for 2006 even if PJ starts every game.  PJ still has not convinced me he can be consistent enuff to keep the rushing lanes open for Hall with his arm.  Jim Leavitt sounded conscient(sp?) of the fact the penalties are upsetting to the fans and he's making a conscient(sp?) effort to let us fans know when discussing it on the radio.  He mentioned benching two players in the second half in the post game show.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I just wanted to reiterate that Mike Jenkins looked very impressive tonight, as did the defense on a whole for the second week in a row.  With the exception of those two big runs last week against Penn State the D was great so that was very promising.

Also, I was impressed with Julmiste once again.  For those of you who didnt see the game the boxscore is a little deceptive.  He looked very good when he was in.  Once again I was most impressed with his decision making ability.  He also scrambled very well on a couple of occassions to get out of trouble and made a few positive plays as a result.  As Bien stated, I believe the reason we didnt pass much is, one...because we didnt need to, the running game was dominating tonight.  And two...CJL may not have wanted to give anything away to UCF for next week.  

All in all, despite the low passing numbers, PJ and the offense was still impressive.  As what about Cedric Hill, he looked like a beast!