• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well...what did you think?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

means little

beating up on florida A & M, a program in disray ,will not tell us a thing about how we will do against ftu/oc/ou

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...

This game was barely more than a glorified practice... so there wasn't a lot to see...

Positives:

1) No dropped passes.

2) Reserve RBs (Ponton, Simpson) are good.  Looks like we're set at RB for  a few years.

3) Defense is solid. Moffet. St. Louis. Nicholas. Jenkins. T Jones. J Jones. It's one thing to play vanilla, another thing to keep a I-AA team from getting a single first down until midway through the 3rd quarter, when the D was half starters and half 2nd teamers.

4) Limited penalties for first team.  With the exception of some ill-timed personal foul penalties, USF's first team did fairly well. (First play of the game, WR committed false start -- talk about being eager).

Negatives:

1) Long snapper.  At least three times there was a low snap.  One of them  Baker actually was able to pick up and get it right.  The other times he couldn't.  CJL needs to work on this extensively.  But it does look like there will be a change at starting PK.

2) Personal foul penalties. Why? Why? Why? It's FAMU.  One of these gave FAMU new life -- USF had partially blocked a FG attempt that missed, but lo and behold, we give 'em 15 yards and a new first down... result: FG made and shutout blown.

3) Amarri Jackson's hands.  One pass (behind him a bit) hit his hands and fell incomplete. First punt return he completely whiffed on -- it bounced over the FAMU defender and Jenkins grabbed it and returned it quite a ways... after that Chambers returned most FAMU punts.

4) Punt blocking.  I could tell from my seat that FAMU was really coming after it.  Yet Baker took his time kicking it away, and the Rattlers blocked it.

5) Herd of Thunder.  Two reasons: A - WHY would anyone pick Pink Floyd songs to play for a college football game (Pink Floyd is good when you're high, not drunk).  B - With the FAMU band watching, the HOT tries to "get busy" during Pink Floyd's Money.  Talk about no ability to dance whatsoever.

JMHO.

Looking forward to the next game.

Guest S.  Bien
Bien, do you really think the holder was the problem with the 3 Benzer misses?  I could not tell from the replays.

On the extra point it was, and on the first FG it looked like Baker was flipping the ball around AS HE WAS KICKING IT!  I know laces out, but Baker must know you've got to get it down even if you don't have laces out.

By the way, for all those yank off's that cracked on Travis Lipp, well guess what Travis' job was other than reciever?  Holder for the FG's and X-Points.  Tell me he isn't missed NOW?  Granted knowing this may piss people off more at him for being ineligible.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

I saw bad snaps . . .

The DEFENSE was Amazing !!! As stated above, nothing special/fancy, just "we're better with just pure strength and talent" ... I really see us dominating ucf, just hope we don't over pursue too much ... don't wanna give them momentum. Allowed less than 100 - it was my personal goal  8)

It was a nice crowd, some 43K. I was on the visiting side. How did the upper deck look behind me ?

PJ looked good - just wish he would have gotten more passing plays. The Running game is STRONG ! The O-line pushed them around for the most part.

The score was nice, wanted MORE !, but the first 2 drives showed our dominance.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

I like the different look at RB with Hall taking a breather.  Ponton providing power with speed and Simpson just flat-out fast!!  I was very impressed with Simpson and hope to see him on the field more often.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Starters on both sides should have been taken out at least in the 3rd. I saw many starters in even at the 4th. Taking a big chance in a done deal game.

O line looks out of shape. Did not have the same intensity as they had with PSU. Maybe it was the game.

I, in my 50 years have never seen a double reception on kickoffs. I though it was a glitch that went overlooked. But... who knows!

Kicking game NEEDS big improvement. Snapper, holder, and kickers need to work super hard on this!. Also we only had 1 kickoff go into the endzone. In order for us to survive in the big east, with the abundance of great K.O. returners, we need it to be touchback time. Our coverage on K.O.'s is crap. Too many yards given up, too many missed tackles. This has been 2 games in a row, so it's no fluke.

Denson is too small to QB. He can't see over the lineman, has to sprint out. Not a pocket passer. He does have super quick feet however. Hill showed his greeness, but showed me our QB for the future. This kid is going to be a great one!!

Amari Jackson showed why he is working on athleticism, and not brains. Has to learn the rules for KO's, (stay away from the ball if you are not going to return it) It **** near hit him 2 times! And when he scores, stay out of the stands. I know the kid is excitied, but that's a no-no. He was lucky the zebra's didn't flag him. CJL did, however, as he was replaced  on K.O.'s . This will come with expirience. Besides, here is a kid playing Basketball at HCC last year! And especially not in front of 48 k people! Hell, I'd be excited too! But he just has to learn. CJL will see to that I am sure!

Overall, a nice performance, expected outcome, and good work-out. Now the real fun begins, starting with UCF.     Reaper

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

merebe-Denson is too small to QB.

i said this the day denson said he wanted to come to usf and i was shouted down by resident expert sbien

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

... Hill showed his greeness, but showed me our QB for the future. This kid is going to be a great one!!

...     Reaper

All I saw was a FR QB ... I just hope we don't need to worry about a #2 this season, but I do think that Hill needs more reps, because CD just wants to run too quick. This was the 1AA Defense that he couldn't find WR's. PJ looked comfortable and hope he progresses this JR season.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Denson looked like a deer in headlights out there. Definitely opted to run first before surveying his recievers.

Simpson and Nicholas looked really impressive.

As long as the recievers catch what's thrown in their direction, PJ should have a solid game next week.

See u all at Ray Jay when the Bulls stampede through the Golden Turds.

Many of Denson's runs were designed QB runs.  Delayed draws and bootlegs.  I only recall one time when he dropped back to pass and then pulled it down to run -- the rest he was supposed to run.

However, he does not look comfortable in the pocket.  Throws were too high and/or too hard... sound familiar??  If he has some game time to play and get comfortable leading the offense he could be good... but we can expect PJ to play QB for most of the rest of the season.

And Rebe... I think you meant punts not kickoffs:-), but I agree with your thoughts compeletely... Jackson needs a bit of "seasoning"...