• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Players transferring out...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Antoine is still here... weren't they experimenting with him as a DB at some point? I know he caught some balls the last few games.

Edited by George Jenkins

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, George Jenkins said:

Antoine is still here...

There's your proof, then. We cut his production in half and I forgot all about him.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

Useing exceptions to try and make a point makes little sense. 

Not recognizing the importance of coaching especially at the early stages of an athletes career is a mistake. 

It was clear that USF did not improve on offense and in fact performed worse during the season. Well coached teams get better as the season progresses. 

Preperation, execution, technique, game planning and confidence are a coaching staffs job & IMO certain members of this staff let their players down. 

It’s not a mistake that every great player in every sport has a personal trainer and coach no matter what level they playi at.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I think what we all miss are the 50+ yard screen "passes" for TDs. Perhaps if Horne never got hurt, we would have seen that element again, but for some reason, those plays were basically not called this year.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

4 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

I think what we all miss are the 50+ yard screen "passes" for TDs. Perhaps if Horne never got hurt, we would have seen that element again, but for some reason, those plays were basically not called this year.

Those, jet sweeps, etc... anything to get the ball in the hands of your play makers. I expected a drop off with Q being gone... we all have to take a step back and remember how good he was. BUT, someone pointed out after last week, there are simple concepts we're not executing... McCants uncovered, check-with-me to the sidelines, and still, don't get the ball to him. Happened multiple times in that game. That's where Q would have done his own thing. It helps to be the GOAT and basically say "go ahead and bench me".

Anything that resembles creativity would have been a welcome change this year. In fairness... I saw on Friday 2 pretty intricate WR routes that were good scheme. One we connected I think, but, bad placement took away any chance for a big play. The other, BK completely missed the throw that would have been an easy TD. Either way, thats 2 plays in the whole game... 2.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

We we were missing was an exciting offense. One that scored points and was scrappy. We have become disgusted with a guy that thinks knees are acceptable when you’re losing. Who allows the same play to be called consecutively for 4 or 5 plays at a time. Who is either exceptionally arrogant or has lost his football iq. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

McCants not reaching anywhere near what we all hoped he'd do this year. Play calling is a part of that. Who's playing QB is a huge part as well. I don't think he's worse catching or blocking, though.

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I really would like to see some sort of numbers on drops the past two years. Seems like is tough to go on. I know there are games when it "seems" like something like is happening and I know I've seen it, then I look at the box score and realize I wanted it to be true. Overall, I'm sure the WR corps are worse than last year, we lost MVS to the NFL. I don't remember him being the best blocker in the world, but I'm sure he was pretty good as a senior and soon to be pro-WR. In reality, saying our WR got worse from last year is impossible to backup. Add to that, you had DJ and Tice running the ball along with QF. Of course our WRs looked better blocking last year. 

MVS - gone in 2018

McCants - same

Salomon - same production, but mentally worse

Alaka - gone in 2018

Antoine - gone in 2018

Wilcox - way better

McCants not reaching anywhere near what we all hoped he'd do this year. Play calling is a part of that. Who's playing QB is a huge part as well. I don't think he's worse catching or blocking, though.

Salomon I agree with. He looks like he checked out halfway through the season.

St. Felix looks pretty **** good for a freshman.

Wilcox is waaaaaaay better across the board.

Bronson missed last year. But his stats going back to 2014-2016 don't show any decline. More catches, more yards this year. Lower YPC. Pretty consistent with the overall production vs. our much more explosive offensive form previous years.

Clerveaux and Philipps absolutely better this year.

Can't argue with any of this. QF of course was able to buy a few extra seconds behind a less than great OL, and that helped the WRs in a big way. Hopefully McCloud or Battle are capable of doing the same.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

16 minutes ago, Massbull said:

Useing exceptions to try and make a point makes little sense. I get what you're saying here, but my point was that our WRs didn't get worse from last year. They performed about the same. Which I didn't disagree with and goes to your third point.

Not recognizing the importance of coaching especially at the early stages of an athletes career is a mistake. I absolutely believe coaching has a major impact, especially early on. But there's only so much it can do. All the coaching in the world isn't going to make BK a QB that will win games for us. They might get him to a point where he doesn't lose them, but that's about it. 

It was clear that USF did not improve on offense and in fact performed worse during the season. Well coached teams get better as the season progresses. Yes. At this age, players should definitely be getting better as the season progresses and as they get older. 

Preperation, execution, technique, game planning and confidence are a coaching staffs job & IMO certain members of this staff let their players down. I agree to an extent. And that was what the point of the former player I quoted was. When you're a junior in college, you're 95% of the player you're going to be. Coaching might get you a little better. A little more refined. Etc. 

It’s not a mistake that every great player in every sport has a personal trainer and coach no matter what level they playi at. Yes.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I took issue with the comment that our coaches were making our players worse. I'm not defending them, trust me. There is a long list of things to ***** about when it comes to every member of the staff, which is why I don't understand when we just make things up to add to it. Reminds me of a few weeks ago when the 147th Fire Gilbert thread was going and someone said we should call a play action pass on the first play of the game because Gilbert ALWAYS runs on the first play. The truth is, Gilbert runs on the first play about half the time. When it was pointed out, the guy was like, "Whatever... that's not the point... Gilbert sucks." I get it. We suck right now. We didn't get better throughout the season. Our offense was atrocious in the second half of the year. Why make things up to add on to the list?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Could be that the pressure put on by these coaches is what is making guys worse... How many of BBs completions were on short out-routes with a defender draped on the WRs back as he caught the ball? How many times did the offense feel like we could blow someone out?

The "yips" as someone mentioned earlier is hard to get out of when every play seems like it's so important because of how bad the team is struggling. A few games ago, Salomon had like 54 drops, then, he finally catches one and fumble trying to make a big play that the team needed. I think to an extent, these guys have been under so much pressure that they are making things worse on themselves... Again, Q is a big part of the reason, but, the last 3 years, it had a "no big deal" feeling if someone screwed up. We're going to get our points and youll have a chance to make it right. Honestly, now it has to feel like "if I drop this, we're going to lose this game" to these guys.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

The coaches never put our playmakers in position to make plays. They coached scared all season and at the end people caught on. We didn’t try to adopt, just rolled over. Sorry, but miss me with all this apologist bs