• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What did Strong say?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

21 minutes ago, Knight_Light said:

1) Did you just compare at HUGE Public Institution like S. Florida with over 50,000 students to a small private school with only 6,500 undergrad students in SMU? Ok, all would say, "that was dumb".

2) I hope you get your wish in your believe that it "doesn't matter" where a college football stadium is located or even if you don't even have one like your school.

It doesn't change the fact that multiple times more students stay outside and tailgate than go in the stadium.  Also, we have an OCDome that doesn't draw flies as far as students go.  I don't know how many students are on or near campus but probably greater than 20k.  200 of them find their way to the Yuengling Center.  There is some inherent problem at USF with students being engaged. Been that way as far back as when our daughter attended starting in '02.  Would guess it goes back farther than that. And as others have pointed out when we were in a good conference and playing well we did fill the student section at Ray Jay of 12,500.  Winning and opponents matter more than location, as I said, IMO.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

It doesn't change the fact that multiple times more students stay outside and tailgate than go in the stadium.  Also, we have an OCDome that doesn't draw flies as far as students go.  I don't know how many students are on or near campus but probably greater than 20k.  200 of them find their way to the Yuengling Center.  There is some inherent problem at USF with students being engaged. Been that way as far back as when our daughter attended starting in '02.  Would guess it goes back farther than that. And as others have pointed out when we were in a good conference and playing well we did fill the student section at Ray Jay of 12,500.  Winning and opponents matter more than location, as I said, IMO.  

Everyone would admit that Florida is a COLLEGE Football State first....WAY over College Basketball right?

While UF has had some hoop success, basically no other state team has...hence why most state teams focus on FOOTBALL as their priority sport and I don't think that will ever change with their fan base. 
I enjoy college hoops...but for most in FL, they don't care.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Long history of other Florida teams having huge success before the USF team existed along with Tampa having a lot of other professional sports alternatives along with the other entertainment offerings along with the fact that we hit the big time then got relegated and you get appropriate attendance for the teams we are playing and beating/losing to. Tampa just isn't that into minor league sports. Orlando has the Magic and then minor league teams. We have 3 major league franchises. This gives the not incorrect impression of current USF football as being minor league based on our conference in comparison to professional teams.

It looks empty in the bigger stadium but the attendance is ok for where we are.And Friday will be spectacular with half the upper bowl for sale.

Even Knight admits there is a demographic tidal wave happening where kids just aren't into sporting events that much anymore.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Here is another good quote.

Sterlin Gilbert a year ago (reported on 11/15/17):

"I just think that everyone, except us in this building and on this field, forgets this is a new offense, okay?" Gilbert said. "It's a new offense. Things are new, things are different. ....So it (takes) time," Gilbert said. "I know people don't want to say that word, it's a bad word, it's a four-letter word, but it is what it is."

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/2017/11/15/amid-criticism-usfs-sterlin-gilbert-says-time-needed-to-master-offense/

24 minutes ago, Knight_Light said:

Everyone would admit that Florida is a COLLEGE Football State first....WAY over College Basketball right?

While UF has had some hoop success, basically no other state team has...hence why most state teams focus on FOOTBALL as their priority sport and I don't think that will ever change with their fan base. 
I enjoy college hoops...but for most in FL, they don't care.

So is Texas and yet Houston and SMU don't sell out.  Those are the only stadiums I've been so can't speak to Tech, A&M, etc.  Okay, you are right, you are all knowing. No one's opinion other than yours matters.  The Orlando Magic and Miami Heat don't play basketball in Florida. 

19 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Long history of other Florida teams having huge success before the USF team existed along with Tampa having a lot of other professional sports alternatives along with the other entertainment offerings along with the fact that we hit the big time then got relegated and you get appropriate attendance for the teams we are playing and beating/losing to. Tampa just isn't that into minor league sports. Orlando has the Magic and then minor league teams. We have 3 major league franchises. This gives the not incorrect impression of current USF football as being minor league based on our conference in comparison to professional teams.

It looks empty in the bigger stadium but the attendance is ok for where we are.And Friday will be spectacular with half the upper bowl for sale.

Even Knight admits there is a demographic tidal wave happening where kids just aren't into sporting events that much anymore.

Totally agree with you.  There are many reasons why USF struggles with attendance.  We are transplants and had our daughter not gone to USF I would probably not know anything about it.  So many of our friends that live here are transplants and are fans of Mich St, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, etc.  They'll go to the occasional game with us but they aren't USF fans.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

So is Texas and yet Houston and SMU don't sell out.  Those are the only stadiums I've been so can't speak to Tech, A&M, etc.  Okay, you are right, you are all knowing. No one's opinion other than yours matters.  The Orlando Magic and Miami Heat don't play basketball in Florida. 

I'm too lazy to look it up but I hypothesize that the non P5 schools that do fill the stands for the most part aren't in cities like Tampa and Orlando with a multitude of entertainment options. Just look at the Temple game Saturday. Philadelphia is a major league sports city with tons of cultural offerings and the kids don't come out.

Ya, Ruston, LA comes out for LA Tech. I'm sure smaller cities support the minor leagues, but the bigger cities aren't going to.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Hey, just another bad year.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, usf97 said:

"I just think that everyone, except us in this building and on this field, forgets this is a new offense, okay?" Gilbert said. "It's a new offense. Things are new, things are different. ....So it (takes) time," Gilbert said. "I know people don't want to say that word, it's a bad word, it's a four-letter word, but it is what it is."

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/2017/11/15/amid-criticism-usfs-sterlin-gilbert-says-time-needed-to-master-offense/

I have a 4 letter word you might not like Sterlin.....NEXT

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, usf97 said:

Gilbert is so prideful