• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I was wondering if someone who attended the spring game could give some insight into CO and BK? Before BB was in the picture, one of these guys would have been our QB this year. How did they look?

I think BB is a good kid/man/whatever you want to call him. I applaud him for chasing his dream and I want to see him succeed. However, at this point, I think I see why he didn't stick at his previous schools. He has a ton of physical talent, he's made some big plays for us to win some games, but, he seems like a 1-read QB. If pressure gets to him, at best, he can take off and pick up a few yards, but, he's not looking to throw any more. He's missing throws badly. The dart he threw to McCants should have had some air under it to allow him to make a run after the catch, as it was, McCants had to make a miraculous play to even catch the ball.

The Salomon fumble play was another bad throw. Darnell had his guy beat, but, had to stop and wait for the ball. This allowed defenders to gather around him and he screwed up trying to make a play. Totally his fault, gotta secure the football, but, if it had been out in front of him, that play doesn't happen.

So... I don't really care to bash BB, that wasn't the goal, just some weaknesses that I see watching him. Bringing it back around to the original question... I am assuming BB is the best we have and that's why he's playing. For those who were at the spring game, were we completely lost? Was this team sunk if CO or BK had to be the QB this year? Any intangibles that jumped out? Throwing accuracy off?

I guess against our defense, anyone could look OK, I am just trying to understand the unwavering loyalty to BB. I've said it before, even if one of those guys is a step back, I think you get more out of the team. The team battled together in the spring, the guys saw them behind Q last year. I think there is a team-mentality that <CO/BK> is OUR guy and if this "new" guy is going to be given the job, he's got to make more plays. I can't find reference, but, I always heard a tale of one of the Marks brothers for the Dolphins making a comment when asked about a play he missed saying something to the effect of "the man with the million dollar arm" has to make a better throw.... or something like that. I wonder if this team has that mentality about BB... he's the "anointed" one, so, they are relying on him to make the plays.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I think BB is a good kid/man/whatever you want to call him. I applaud him for chasing his dream and I want to see him succeed. However, at this point, I think I see why he didn't stick at his previous schools. He has a ton of physical talent, he's made some big plays for us to win some games, but, he seems like a 1-read QB. If pressure gets to him, at best, he can take off and pick up a few yards, but, he's not looking to throw any more. He's missing throws badly. The dart he threw to McCants should have had some air under it to allow him to make a run after the catch, as it was, McCants had to make a miraculous play to even catch the ball.

This has been the case since the first game, and it really hasn't gotten much better.  

If we lose another game, I wouldn't be opposed to giving CO a start or two just to see what we have for an extended stretch.  I think we know what we have in BK already and having CO's scrambling ability may be what this team needs to add an extra weapon.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

This has been the case since the first game, and it really hasn't gotten much better.  

If we lose another game, I wouldn't be opposed to giving CO a start or two just to see what we have for an extended stretch.  I think we know what we have in BK already and having CO's scrambling ability may be what this team needs to add an extra weapon.  

Yeah, I wouldn't be had at that.  Honestly there could be some garbage minutes the next few weeks, and not the good kind.....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

This is my problem with the team in general. Fundamentals seem to be an afterthought.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

I was at the spring game and to be honest, I like what I saw from CO more than I did from BK.  They both ended the game with the same amount of passing yards I believe but Oladokun seemed more elusive and a bit quicker.  In terms of accuracy, they each seemed decent.  I will say that Barnett does look a level above each.  I don't like the single reads I'm seeing from him but based on all factors I feel like he's giving us the best chance to win.  Now I could be 100% wrong on who's really giving us the best chance because we haven't seen enough real time play to be definitive but I think Barnett winning the job happened for more of a reason than him being a 5 star out of high school. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

17 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I was at the spring game and to be honest, I like what I saw from CO more than I did from BK.  They both ended the game with the same amount of passing yards I believe but Oladokun seemed more elusive and a bit quicker.  In terms of accuracy, they each seemed decent.  I will say that Barnett does look a level above each.  I don't like the single reads I'm seeing from him but based on all factors I feel like he's giving us the best chance to win.  Now I could be 100% wrong on who's really giving us the best chance because we haven't seen enough real time play to be definitive but I think Barnett winning the job happened for more of a reason than him being a 5 star out of high school. 

Thanks, good insight. I am sure you are right, but, I wonder if the team believes that he actually WON the job, or, if they feel like it was handed to him.

It's so hard to tell anyway. I am sure that Q probably didn't look stellar in practice, but, it's hard to judge the "it" factor until they're on the field. Q had "it". Maybe none of our options now have it...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,693
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

You will feel the wrath of CaliBull if you question BB's talent/ability.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

My hope is that BB takes a huge leap next year...remember Flowers first year playing wasn't the best but the following year he looked much better.

5 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Thanks, good insight. I am sure you are right, but, I wonder if the team believes that he actually WON the job, or, if they feel like it was handed to him.

It's so hard to tell anyway. I am sure that Q probably didn't look stellar in practice, but, it's hard to judge the "it" factor until they're on the field. Q had "it". Maybe none of our options now have it...

I’ve had that same exact thought myself from time to time. We’ll never know but I do see a ton of potential and talent with BB. Of course there are things I see that are questionable and I’m not saying there isn’t talent with the other guys either, but you’re spot on with the “it” factor. 

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You will feel the wrath of CaliBull if you question BB's talent/ability.  

Haha that was a good one. Cali firmly believes in Barnett, but I love seeing that and I love the energy and support Cali shows for this team.