• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do We See Offensive Creativity This Week?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, USF Bulls Football said:

This. Creativity may not be the right word, but I think B.B. comes out throwing.

I meant creativity. Something other than running the ball up the gut after EVER big gain that gets in their territory. Against Illinois we could make it to just past midfield then it looked like we had no idea what to do. Some of that played into the ECU game as well. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

Last year I remember hearing that Strong was hesitant to open the playbook until we were in the meat of our conference schedule........and we never saw anything different other than last year in UConn and the UCF finale. Just more of the same. Why did we regress in playcalling since GT?

46 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

Last year I remember hearing that Strong was hesitant to open the playbook until we were in the meat of our conference schedule........and we never saw anything different other than last year in UConn and the UCF finale. Just more of the same. Why did we regress in playcalling since GT?

We’ve basically been getting by on athleticism alone. Schemes don’t seem to be much of a factor in winning these past couple games. We have the talent of decent p5 school,  but at some point we’ll face a team that exploits that if the trend continues. 

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

I mean, there is more to it than being creative. That HB Dive is supposed to go for 4 yards. Now, you are comfortable w a run or pass. If that hb dive goes for 1, you are in a passing down and B.B. is getting hammered w a blitz. So much of the offense is built on the little things being successful, especially “winning on first down”.

To answer the original query, no, we shouldn’t open up the playbook vs umass.  

10 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

We’ve basically been getting by on athleticism alone. Schemes don’t seem to be much of a factor in winning these past couple games. We have the talent of decent p5 school,  but at some point we’ll face a team that exploits that if the trend continues. 

Yep. I worry when we play a team that can negate our Florida speed. Tulane (on D), Houston, UCF and probably even Cincy. Also Temple on the road in the cold.....

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777

If they do most people outside of Amherst and the Bay area won't see it. 😀

10 hours ago, Hueyhog20 said:

Yep. I worry when we play a team that can negate our Florida speed. Tulane (on D), Houston, UCF and probably even Cincy. Also Temple on the road in the cold.....

Every one of those games are legitimate concerns. 

1 hour ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Every one of those games are legitimate concerns. 

It’s funny how we are playing those 5 teams in a row.....imagine starting 7-0 and finishing 7-5....oh the meltdown!

Note: *I think we’ll lose only three as worst case* 

1 hour ago, Hueyhog20 said:

It’s funny how we are playing those 5 teams in a row.....imagine starting 7-0 and finishing 7-5....oh the meltdown!

Note: *I think we’ll lose only three as worst case* 

We could win all five, but we could lose all five as well.  You're definitely spot on with your assessment.  If we come out of Houston and Cincinnati 1-2 I'll be happy which is 100% doable.  I think we'll make it out of Philly with a W.  They're so up and down in terms of wins and losses and I don't see them being a huge threat.  Cold weather is always a threat but Lincoln Financial isn't a crazy environment.  In fact RJS seems like a tougher place to win more times than not compared to LF.