• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nico Sawtelle Revisited

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

We could do better... He is the "Dylan Haynes" of USF...the guy who got Strong fired at Texas.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, Corey lea said:

We could do better... He is the "Dylan Haynes" of USF...the guy who got Strong fired at Texas.

People said that (ad nauseam) about Auggie, too...the leading tackler of all-time. That position is more about decision-making and being in the right place than it is about speed & athleticism IMO, even though we'd love to see a guy who has high marks in all areas. If the coaches think he's the best guy to be there, I'll go with it.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

5 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

People said that (ad nauseam) about Auggie, too...the leading tackler of all-time. That position is more about decision-making and being in the right place than it is about speed & athleticism IMO, even though we'd love to see a guy who has high marks in all areas. If the coaches think he's the best guy to be there, I'll go with it.

The LB position is typically the leading tackler on any team.  We've had some very good ones.  Sam Barrington jumps off the page. 

Auggie was very serviceable.  Great?  That's up for debate.  He lacked speed and athleticism.  Football acumen was off the charts.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Sawtelle had 13 tackles. Not a bad game. I haven’t seen a replay so not sure how much he hurt us on other plays 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,551

15 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Sawtelle had 13 tackles. Not a bad game. I haven’t seen a replay so not sure how much he hurt us on other plays 

I think he had a sack too. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878

26 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

The LB position is typically the leading tackler on any team.  We've had some very good ones.  Sam Barrington jumps off the page. 

Auggie was very serviceable.  Great?  That's up for debate.  He lacked speed and athleticism.  Football acumen was off the charts.

Always thought Sam was solid, too, but as far as the leaders for USF, he's #10. There's NFL names below, but the numbers say Auggie was our #1.

image.png.a944d3caa6a51e4d83ee911c4f1c1f93.png

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

On 9/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, Brad said:

Tha phrase is banned here.  I need to check the censored word/phrases list.  

That's hilarious brad...and it brought back bad memories.

Wasn't tthat the year that it had the same kind of feeling like this year?  The "did just enough to win?"  Until a team schemes us and just blow us out of the water?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

Nico is a great player.  Good ball skills, tough as nails, and a knack for making plays when it counts.  But imo he's not as strong as you like as your anchoring lb to be.  It seems he has a hard time shedding blocks.  But to his defense he is playing out of his natural position which i believe wlb would be more fitting.

And Big 10 teams have big power based offensive linemen.

Edited by Supersurch