• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Illinois game TV

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Other than the possibility of a legal issue who would pay for this?  

I'm not sure what you mean, but every away game should be on in their home market.  Otherwise don't piss and moan about the local community not supporting your product if they can't watch the product away from home without pirated feeds or 1 week free trials

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I'm not sure what you mean, but every away game should be on in their home market.  Otherwise don't piss and moan about the local community not supporting your product if they can't watch the product away from home without pirated feeds or 1 week free trials

But my point is this is impossible because of broadcast rights. Further, the university and conference have no control over non conf away games. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But my point is this is impossible because of broadcast rights. Further, the university and conference have no control over non conf away games. 

And my point is how did the Conference, USF, local television not anticipate that exposure of a team getting votes in both polls be good for the Conference, School, local interest be worth acquiring the rights to show the game. Television on Saturday's are littered with games that almost no one in the Tampa Bay Area could have an interest in (how does East Carolina at Va Tech sound on WTOG?). USF vs Illinois would be a ratings winner compared to some of these games. Television is a business searching for ratings. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SpikeBull said:

And my point is how did the Conference, USF, local television not anticipate that exposure of a team getting votes in both polls be good for the Conference, School, local interest be worth acquiring the rights to show the game. Television on Saturday's are littered with games that almost no one in the Tampa Bay Area could have an interest in (how does East Carolina at Va Tech sound on WTOG?). USF vs Illinois would be a ratings winner compared to some of these games. Television is a business searching for ratings. 

You CANNOT ACQUIRE THE RIGHTS! They are not for sale! The Big 10 spent millions for their network. They want consumers to buy it...NOT sale the content. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You CANNOT ACQUIRE THE RIGHTS! They are not for sale! The Big 10 spent millions for their network. They want consumers to buy it...NOT sale the content. 

Then why is Rutgers vs Kansas on Sunshine Network (Spectrum in Manatee County) on Saturday? Seems USF VS Illinois would have been a better choice. 

I realize this could be a Big 12 thing since the game is at Kansas, but still....

Edited by SpikeBull

Just now, SpikeBull said:

Then why is Rutgers vs Kansas on Sunshine Network on Saturday? Seems USF VS Illinois would have been a better choice. 

Because Kansas is a free agent for this game as no network wanted the game (the Big 12 does not have a network and ESPN did not want it nor did Fox). Thus, I suspect the game is being produced by a local company in KS who is then allowed to sell it. It could be produced by RayCom. 

I hear where your coming from but it goes back to if the AAC and USF want to be considered "Big Time" and "P6" they need to provide better access to their product. Relying on another conferences network or a source you may use for one week above and beyond a family's normal media sources (and payment) is not a great way to grow and showcase your product. Casual fans will not go out of their way to hunt the telecast. 

The point isn't can you view the game, why is it difficult, expensive or takes a free trial to view a single game with national and local interest. 

Edited by SpikeBull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

58 minutes ago, SpikeBull said:

I hear where your coming from but it goes back to if the AAC and USF want to be considered "Big Time" and "P6" they need to provide better access to their product. Relying on another conferences network or a source you may use for one week above and beyond a family's normal media sources (and payment) is not a great way to grow and showcase your product. Casual fans will not go out of their way to hunt the telecast. 

The point isn't can you view the game, why is it difficult, expensive or takes a free trial to view a single game with national and local interest. 

We get your outrage at the situation but typically the home team owns the TV rights- in this case Illinois who has a contract with the Big Ten network that handles the distribution of the programming. It is not unusual and for years there were certain games that the Gators played-- I think the payday ones against nobodies that were owned by some company that would only allow you to buy access via pay per view or being on their system. It happens with Pac 12 games as well. All these conference networks are aimed at controlling their own tv revenues. The do distribute some of the content to networks and ESPN etc-- but some of it they hold to just their network.

I doubt the AAC and USF are excited when teams cannot have their games shown in their own areas. You can have access but you have to pay for it or head to a bar that carries those networks.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

I just realized I get Big Ten network and a bunch of alternate Big Ten channels on PSVUE.  Maybe I can watch the sleepy Soldier Field game?