• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's soccer is 0-4?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

One of the bell cow programs at USF is winless so far? And they've scored ONE goal? We miss you George Kiefer.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

The non-conference schedule is brutal. 3 of those 4 losses have come against ranked opponents.

I've only caught one match so far (VaTech). There were chances in front of goal that weren't taken. The midfield seemed less organized than I've seen from this team in the past. The defenders were a bright spot in what was otherwise a frustrating viewing experience.

Off the field, I was also disappointed by the Goalmouths. From the feed I was watching, it was easy to think they weren't there unless you were specifically looking for them. There was just a handful of them hanging out near the back of the berm not making the noise that they've become known for.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  19

Hoping for the best. George was a special coach, I counted him in the same category as Ken and Jose. Not saying we can't get back there with this current staff, but it is time to find some wins. I'll all for playing a top schedule, but you also got to schedule games you believe you can win, then go out and win some of them. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

The OOC schedule was front loaded with some tough matches. I'm not getting panicky until I see what's up during conference play.

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,333
  • Days Won:  10

7 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

One of the bell cow programs at USF is winless so far? And they've scored ONE goal? We miss you George Kiefer.

I don't miss George.  He was short term focused and put our program in a hole.  Bob is now working through this and will bounce back.  Bob loaded the schedule with difficult teams to help recruiting.  Give him time, he was successful at Florida Gulf Coast.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

Last night we played piss poor for the first 15 - 20 minutes.  Gave up a PK just a few minutes in and the other goal was played poorly by the defense on a fast break (or whatever you call it in soccer).  But we played very well the last part of the first half and the entire second half.  CBB has a long term approach going on.  There was reason he asked for a 5 year deal.  Let's give him a few years. And, as was mentioned, we played some really tough opponents.  Interestingly, VP of A mentioned that maybe we shouldn't stack the schedule like we did.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Rizman said:

I don't miss George.  He was short term focused and put our program in a hole.  Bob is now working through this and will bounce back.  Bob loaded the schedule with difficult teams to help recruiting.  Give him time, he was successful at Florida Gulf Coast.  

I strongly believe that coach will get it right. I liked the little I saw in year one with a very young team. His FGCU squads were ones that I always paid attention to.

I'm interested in understanding what you mean when saying Kiefer was short term focused and put us in a hole. I felt that the program struggled to get to the next level but that next level would have been consistent top-15/20 finishes which would be quite the task even for the best coaches.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

14 hours ago, Rizman said:

How was Kiefer short-term focused? He was at USF for 15 years. And if he "put us in a hole,"  more of our coaches need to dig that kind of hole. His record at USF was 162-86-51 with six NCAA Tournaments and two Elite Eights.

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,333
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

How was Kiefer short-term focused? He was at USF for 15 years. And if he "put us in a hole,"  more of our coaches need to dig that kind of hole. His record at USF was 162-86-51 with six NCAA Tournaments and two Elite Eights.

The players he brought in were transfers from Jr. college or only using this program as a spring board to pro.  He was successful, that not the issue.  He brought in highly skilled players but they were not, repeat not Bulls.  Meaning they did not feel a stake in the program.   Different mindset on how to be successful.  Kiefer's worked, now Bob's is a different approach and will take time.