• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

17 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I asked you about Notre Dame not michigan and how is this team based on last year's team's performance

You really think last year doesn't come into play for the rankings.  Also, teams like ND and Michigan will always get the benefit of the doubt in the rankings.  Is ND really the 10th best team in the country?  We don't really know.  Just like we have no idea how anyone else, UCF included, would have fared against them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,569
  • Days Won:  28

I think USF just needs to end this season ranked period. If we can win the AAC and our bowl game we should enter next year ranked. Then in 2019 we will truly have a schedule strong enough to even discuss crashing the playoffs or winning a "G6 National title" like UCF lol hopefully they can add a quality P5 opponent for 2019.  We pretty much need to ensure we stay in the rankings period. In 2022 if we start the season ranked high enough, then we will have our  best chance to crash the playoffs. By then the 1st two CCS recruiting classes will be some well seasoned seniors and juniors. 

image.png.98d231a4fedd817b98032d6e232c47e8.png

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

You really think last year doesn't come into play for the rankings.  Also, teams like ND and Michigan will always get the benefit of the doubt in the rankings.  Is ND really the 10th best team in the country?  We don't really know.  Just like we have no idea how anyone else, UCF included, would have fared against them.

I'm sure it has some impact (that's why ucf is ranked at all), but these are rankings based mostly on projections.  

Of course p5 teams and ND are getting the benefit of the doubt.  Their schedules are by and large tougher than the g5 schedules annually.  They also generally have higher ranked athletes and more of them for depth.  Why wouldn't they get the benefit of the doubt especially in preseason projections?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

I'm sure it has some impact (that's why ucf is ranked at all), but these are rankings based mostly on projections.  

Of course p5 teams and ND are getting the benefit of the doubt.  Their schedules are by and large tougher than the g5 schedules annually.  They also generally have higher ranked athletes and more of them for depth.  Why wouldn't they get the benefit of the doubt especially in preseason projections?

I've never seen a program ranked after 4 straight losses and I don't think benefit of the doubt should apply anymore at that point. I also don't think ranking teams based on recruiting rankings gives very much credibility

Edited by NavyUSFGuy

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

47 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

I've never seen a program ranked after 4 straight losses and I don't think benefit of the doubt should apply anymore at that point. I also don't think ranking teams based on recruiting rankings gives very much credibility

Unfortunately what should happen and what does happen are often different

1 hour ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

You keep looking at last year, a different team.  Who said anything about recruiting rankings?  Now are you questioning whether 5 star athletes are really 5 star athletes?  Are all those 3 star athletes on the g5 rosters being under ranked as well now?

Bottom line is Mich was ranked #14 in the preseason poll based on projections.  They lost to a top 10 team on the road by a touchdown and dropped 7 spots.  They didn't enter after losing

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

The only thing more fruitless than voter polls before 4 or 5 games is the dissecting of those polls. Brett thinks in a head to head matchup UM beats the Kanigits and there's nothing yet to really contest that ..... or support it .... it's just his gut feeling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

The only thing more fruitless than voter polls before 4 or 5 games is the dissecting of those polls. Brett thinks in a head to head matchup UM beats the Kanigits and there's nothing yet to really contest that ..... or support it .... it's just his gut feeling.

That's my point.  These are just predictions.  There's no argument this early in the season for a g5 school to be ranked above a p5 school.  Win your games and let it play out

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, chapelbull said:

There's no argument this early in the season for a g5 school to be ranked above a p5 school

Yeah, but come on, man, they're a reigning Final National Poll Leader ....

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

15 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:
15 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Michigan lost by a TD at top 10 ranked Notre Dame.  ucf beat Auburn LAST YEAR and a terrible UConn team this year.

As for Auburn, who cares? Those top teams are going to shake out as they play each other in conference play.  Auburn could be #2 or they could be #10 right now and it doesn't really matter

That doesn't justify anything. If you really think Auburn is that good and UCF is coming off an undefeated sugar bowl season against them, and opens with a 30+ point win, you can't put them behind a Michigan team who did nothing last year and loses the first game this year. Shouldn't you have to win, or at the very least have won something last year to be ranked? Or is that not how this works? 

You are trying to apply your logical approach to  measure the strengths of various teams to try to argue with SEMI-QUALIFIED OPINIONS of some reporters, or in the case of the coaches poll- some administrative assistants usually this early in the season. 

C'mon-- does any of this stuff matter? I see people getting awfully excited about where some teams are in the pre-season rankings -- which are rarely historically accurate with the final end of the season results (for the most part).  

I would almost be shocked if they left out certain teams that seemingly always get put on these polls.

So no-- they will not be supplying anyone with any justification for their rankings. They might not even be able to list the teams the same way again if asked to do so without looking. I bet some just copy some old list they have laying around. It is all total BS.

And I will not be standing here saying you are wrong or right-- just that you are wasting your time thinking about it.