• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do We Have Too Many Freshmen Playing this Year to be Successful????

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I was listening to the Daily Stampede podcast they made an interesting point that the depth chart has way too many first year players in the two deep for the team be successful. Is this a legitimate concern?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

32 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I was listening to the Daily Stampede podcast they made an interesting point that the depth chart has way too many first year players in the two deep for the team be successful. Is this a legitimate concern?

It was the Daily Stampede.  I'll just leave it at that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Part of this is because this week is Elon week.  I expect a major shift in the depth chart for Tech.  I also heard a reason for the large number of freshmen on this weeks depth chart is we have quite a few guys dinged up and the staff would rather rest them in a game that we should win so they're ready for next weekend.  Also, the new red shirt rule is probably a factor here too.  

3 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I was the Daily Stampede.  I'll just leave it at that.

What are you now?

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

Depth is one of those things that can sneak up on you. If we stay healthy and return a couple currently injured guys, I feel like we could compete with any team in our conference (QB is still ???? tho). We have an insane amount of depth at the skill positions. We are undersized at LB and DB... but that's partially on purpose. Scheme is 3-3-5... we want fast dudes that can aid in run support even when lining up 10yds off the line. I think we see at least a slight improvement on defense this year. 

The question mark is on offense. If BB comes out slinging the ball like Paxton Lynch, then this season has every opportunity to be the best in USF history. If we sputter and end up swapping QB's several times... then it could get ugly fast. Defense is going to keep us in games even if the offense sputters... but it's not going to be good enough (like UF 2012) to win games if we can't finish offensive drives.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

28 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Part of this is because this week is Elon week.  I expect a major shift in the depth chart for Tech.  I also heard a reason for the large number of freshmen on this weeks depth chart is we have quite a few guys dinged up and the staff would rather rest them in a game that we should win so they're ready for next weekend.  Also, the new red shirt rule is probably a factor here too.  

What are you now?

Sorry, typo.  Fixed now ;) 

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

38 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I prefer to think that some of the freshmen are so good they can't be kept off the field. But yeah, it was surprising to see that.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

39 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

What are you now?

I think this is the main reason.  The staff has 4 games to get them as much PT as possible and Elon is one of the better opportunities on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Not convinced the depth chart is the ‘real’ depth chart, honestly 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I prefer to think that some of the freshmen are so good they can't be kept off the field. But yeah, it was surprising to see that.

I feel that is the case. Charlie brought a lot of talent in and its evident by all of the players that transferred out this summer.