• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The thrill is gone.... (Off Topic)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

7 hours ago, Meeps said:

Regarding Auburn, no one on this board has any idea what the players or coaches really thought. I provided actual statements from the horses mouth, and you in turn argue against them with nothing other than your opinion. Congrats. You just lost.

Keep believing everything you read on the Internet, Sparky ... The Auburn players and coaches reacted with class, giving all the props to UCF. I guarantee you hear different, off the record comments going into that game if they were asked how they felt watching 2 teams they'd beaten get ready for the real championship game in relationship with their game with you. It's only human nature.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Keep believing everything you read on the Internet, Sparky ... The Auburn players and coaches reacted with class, giving all the props to UCF. I guarantee you hear different, off the record comments going into that game if they were asked how they felt watching 2 teams they'd beaten get ready for the real championship game in relationship with their game with you. It's only human nature.

It's also human nature at high levels of competition to want to go out and beat your opponent.  It's also human nature to want to take down the unbeaten guy.  The whole 'they didn't really want it' argument is untenable.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

No. its not plain nor simple nor true

Good luck finding anything objective to support that.  Meanwhile the opposite to your statement does have objective basis.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

30 minutes ago, ECUshoein said:

It's also human nature at high levels of competition to want to go out and beat your opponent.  It's also human nature to want to take down the unbeaten guy.  The whole 'they didn't really want it' argument is untenable.

Keep trying with your straw man arguments. Nowhere did I say "they didn't really want it". What I'm saying is that if you think Auburn went into that game with the same mental edge they would have in a playoff or did in either game they played against the two playoff teams, you're kidding yourself just like UCF guy ... UCF had a great year, but that's all it was was a great year. Hopefully we'll have one like that at some point ... maybe ECU will ....it's the national championship nonsensical justification that has them showing the exact opposite type class than the Auburn players and coaches did after the loss. 

Edited by Triple B

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

52 minutes ago, ECUshoein said:

It's also human nature at high levels of competition to want to go out and beat your opponent

Immaterial bowl games are not high levels of competition. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

53 minutes ago, ECUshoein said:

It's also human nature to want to take down the unbeaten guy

I truly don’t think that occurred to Auburn. Undefeated in the “P6” doesn’t resonate with anyone other than some in AAC.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, ECUshoein said:

Good luck finding anything objective to support that.  Meanwhile the opposite to your statement does have objective basis.   

All I need is my eyes to know which was the better team and an understanding that the score doesnt always project that. Auburn beat Alabama, so are you saying the UCF  was the best team in the nation last season? If so, don't bother responding because I do't think you quite understand this game. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, ECUshoein said:

They were better than Auburn, plain and simple.  

I have no choice but to agree with this.  I did not watch every play but of the ones I did, UCF was controlling the lines of scrimmage.  To me, that is telling. 

Now, the emotion part, I have no statement to make.  The only thing I can say about that is that ESECPN's argument that the entire P5 is superior to G5 was once again shown to be false.  If Auburn and the SEC were so much better, the Tigers would have been able to roll their helmets out at the 50 and win the game. 

Edited by Mission9

10 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

All I need is my eyes to know which was the better team and an understanding that the score doesnt always project that. Auburn beat Alabama, so are you saying the UCF  was the best team in the nation last season? If so, don't bother responding because I do't think you quite understand this game. 

True.  The better argument is the fact that the system is flawed where an undefeated team has absolutely no path to a championship and another  can finish 2nd in a division, avoid an elimination game (SEC championship) and then waltz into the playoffs.  I think at minimum there should be a "play in" game for a UCF type team just like there is in basketball for the teams on the margin. 

Edited by Mission9

12 hours ago, ECUshoein said:

In Tampa atleast.  2007 was quite a year.  

Of course they count.  I think his rationale was that they were in a lesser conference at the time while the Bulls were rocking the recruiting at a higher level; less meaningful instead of 'not counting' in his eyes.

I countered with the fact that many of the important players in the first couple of games had been acquired while the team was an Independent and in CUSA. There was an advantage but not as much as some may think.