• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

You just got hired...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, E.T. said:

With a population of nearly 210,000, Des Moines is one of the largest cities with a Minor League Baseball team.

This would be my only question regarding a minor league promoter, they are usually a much smaller market.

Overall, think we have some great ideas.

Having GaTech as the second game is great.

My thought:

Have two 3 game packages - UCF, UConn & Tulane ... and ... GaTech, ECU & Elon. GaTech and UCF are the only two draws. 

Tampa has a minor league baseball team, so there is that. Also we are closer to minor league than we are to major league both in appeal and budget. Minor league baseball sells something most people don’t want by finding ways to make it interesting and appealing to individuals not interested in the teams on the field necessarily, our largest market we can appeal to has no vested interest in Usf vs ecu.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Hold more promotional events around Tampa and the surrounding districts (Zephyrhills, Plant City, Lakeland, Bradenton/Sarasota, as well as Tampa). The media is not going to tell our story so it's up to USF to get the story out there. Get us in front of people and sell, sell, sell, always have ticket reps present. 

Need to also devote more resources to Bulls club and develop an alumni athletics ambassador network. It's beyond me why we aren't tapping into guys like Grothe and Lindsey Lamar who grew up in this area and don't get featured with the program. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

21 hours ago, puc86 said:

Tampa has a minor league baseball team, so there is that. Also we are closer to minor league than we are to major league both in appeal and budget. Minor league baseball sells something most people don’t want by finding ways to make it interesting and appealing to individuals not interested in the teams on the field necessarily, our largest market we can appeal to has no vested interest in Usf vs ecu.

Taking a family of 4 to a minor league game is extremely cost effective.  I think it's 5 bucks for a ticket to a Tampa Tarpons game.  But they still only average a round 1K per game.  

But, you're right.  There is no vested interest/appeal to the average joe living in the TB area. You're market is students and alumni and you hope to get some local football fans who don't want to pay/can't afford bucs tickets.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

College Football and minor league baseball are two different fans bases and the cost is much different.

I don't see marketing to students a high priority, it's free and if they are not aware - they're not coming.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

50 minutes ago, E.T. said:

College Football and minor league baseball are two different fans bases and the cost is much different.

I don't see marketing to students a high priority, it's free and if they are not aware - they're not coming.

Except those students are your future season ticket holders and you want them invested. I bought tickets the first year after I finished. I suspect most of the 2006-2010 generation aren't coming because they remember the heights and the upsets. They're waiting for that to happen again. They can't fathom the downgrade in conferences and seem to believe USF hasn't earned their support. The current generation can be built a little more organically. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, E.T. said:

College Football and minor league baseball are two different fans bases and the cost is much different.  - Agree

I don't see marketing to students a high priority, it's free and if they are not aware - they're not coming.  - Disagree

I think marketing to students is extremely important. Agree with bbfan below, they are the future.

2 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Except those students are your future season ticket holders and you want them invested. I bought tickets the first year after I finished. I suspect most of the 2006-2010 generation aren't coming because they remember the heights and the upsets. They're waiting for that to happen again. They can't fathom the downgrade in conferences and seem to believe USF hasn't earned their support. The current generation can be built a little more organically. 

This is where marketing Alumni comes in. I know Alumni get a 20% discount on season tickets, maybe the same on game day sales...

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

One big problem is the hoops the small vendor has to jump thru to produce USF themed products. No other school in the State has the rules USF has. Go to any arts and crafts fair and ask why they don't have USF products.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

4 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

USF hasn't earned their support.

This concept is difficult for me.  I tend to support just about every school team I am connected to.  I support USF because I went there.  I support three highs schools and two middle schools because my kids went there.  I support two other high schools because I coached at them.  

That support ranges from buying tickets to games and attending (even though my kids are gone) to donating for equipment and uniforms.

What is it that one's alma mater must do to earn the purchase of a ticket?  Win?

That makes it sound as if USF is failing at a deeper level.  It's not Athletics, it's the school.  People go and have no attachment?  Sports is the easiest way to stay attached.  

I'm not criticizing you or your point, just trying to figure it out.  When my phone rang 20-21 years ago asking if I wanted to donate to a non-existent football program, the answer was an enthusiastic YES!  Just as I had  been donating to Athletics and was a season ticket holder to basketball.  Went to games in the dome as a student, and wanted to continue that post-graduation.  Had I waited around for USF to earn my support, I might have been lost.  ****, I could be running something called the GatorSwamp.com had I been that remiss.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

This concept is difficult for me.  I tend to support just about every school team I am connected to.  I support USF because I went there.  I support three highs schools and two middle schools because my kids went there.  I support two other high schools because I coached at them.  

That support ranges from buying tickets to games and attending (even though my kids are gone) to donating for equipment and uniforms.

What is it that one's alma mater must do to earn the purchase of a ticket?  Win?

That makes it sound as if USF is failing at a deeper level.  It's not Athletics, it's the school.  People go and have no attachment?  Sports is the easiest way to stay attached.  

I'm not criticizing you or your point, just trying to figure it out.  When my phone rang 20-21 years ago asking if I wanted to donate to a non-existent football program, the answer was an enthusiastic YES!  Just as I had  been donating to Athletics and was a season ticket holder to basketball.  Went to games in the dome as a student, and wanted to continue that post-graduation.  Had I waited around for USF to earn my support, I might have been lost.  ****, I could be running something called the GatorSwamp.com had I been that remiss.

Well it’s obvious you are very into sports,  but not everyone is.   Do you support USF School of Theatre and the Arts?  

Colleges have let TV Networks dictate scheduling, obviously the fan in the stands isn’t very important to them.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Do they compete against other theatre teams?

Is there an active outreach to alumni?

Ned, I think you're smart enough to know that many people attend sporting events for social reasons, i.e. my wife. 

Personally, if I were in the theatre, as I imagine you are, I probably would see if I could find an online stream of it too, ESPN's the OCHO for theatre?

The question is should they have to earn  my support, first.  Get the point?