• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

P Pablo Garabitos

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Probably can't use that because someone's neighbor's uncle's ex wife may be cooking the books

You can trust these numbers all you want to. But i've seen how they get put in and I just don't think we live in very honest society when it comes to trying to get ahead.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Believe me or don't, but I coached at Palm Beach Gardens and Stoneman Douglas, two VERY good high school baseball programs and we cooked the books consistently. If I were guessing, I'd say our stats were in the neighborhood of 10%-15% inflated. Stolen bases that shouldn't have been counted. Keeping errors off of guys we wanted to protect, giving errors elsewhere to keep an ERA down. Base hits that were definitely errors by the other team. Stuff like that.

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Believe me or don't, but I coached at Palm Beach Gardens and Stoneman Douglas, two VERY good high school baseball programs and we cooked the books consistently. If I were guessing, I'd say our stats were in the neighborhood of 10%-15% inflated. Stolen bases that shouldn't have been counted. Keeping errors off of guys we wanted to protect, giving errors elsewhere to keep an ERA down. Base hits that were definitely errors by the other team. Stuff like that.

its a very common practice. We use Game Changer which makes it a little harder to cook them. I think a lot of schools are going that route because it keeps a much more in-depth look at the numbers and you can manage who can see them, you can also have them automatically uploaded to max preps but they can obviously be edited because the score book doesn't get uploaded. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

#metoo

Saw a high school kid’s Dad keeping team stats for MaxPreps; outright inflating his kid’s numbers.  Never would have  suspected him either.  

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

#metoo

Saw a high school kid’s Dad keeping team stats for MaxPreps; outright inflating his kid’s numbers.  Never would have  suspected him either.  

The struggle to get kids recruited is real......for some

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Of course stats are inflated and books are cooked.  It's called home cooking and it happens to different extents at all levels.  I've been around the high school game for over 20 years myself so save the "I know because I've seen it" stuff.  Stats are relevant for a number of reasons.  Hell, the level of competition varies greatly across classifications and areas of the state/country so that inflates statistics as well.  Point is that 1 earned run in 70.2 innings is impressive and there's no need to quantify it.  And the total number of runs given up **** sure isn't a better indicator of ability.  Bottom line is no one is being recruited or drafted based on their ERA or any other high school stat and you shouldn't be looking at any one state to assess someone's ability.  There's 10 pages of me trying to explain that someone on this board (oh the irony).

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

#metoo

So have I and **** well through a fit when the numbers were corrected by the coaching staff

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If you know South Florida baseball (real South Florida), Cardinal Gibbons HS has a left field fence that's probably 25-30 feet shorter than the sign says. Everyone knows it. But not the college/professional scouts who only drop by once or twice and think the kid with 10 HRs has legit power.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Manatee is sub .500 this year and winless in the district.  http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/manatee-hurricanes-(bradenton,fl)/baseball/schedule.htm

You're right. Still not a bad ball club that I saw and he did dominate them. That's a tough district. Sarasota has won multiple state championships.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

I don't know about the legitimacy of the his numbers, and I've never seen him pitch in person. I will say that he was the all-area player of the year as a junior and looks to be on his way to repeating it. If you know anything about prep baseball in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area, that says a lot. There has always been good prep baseball here, numerous state champs (Sarasota, Riverview, Venice) and a long list of MLB draft picks/stars hail from the area. USF has had some good success over the years with kids from this area (Joe Cavallaro, Casey Hudspeth, Kevin Boles). He looks to be a very good addition to a team that's losing some key arms after this year.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

33 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Of course stats are inflated and books are cooked.  It's called home cooking and it happens to different extents at all levels.  I've been around the high school game for over 20 years myself so save the "I know because I've seen it" stuff.  Stats are relevant for a number of reasons.  Hell, the level of competition varies greatly across classifications and areas of the state/country so that inflates statistics as well.  Point is that 1 earned run in 70.2 innings is impressive and there's no need to quantify it.  And the total number of runs given up **** sure isn't a better indicator of ability.  Bottom line is no one is being recruited or drafted based on their ERA or any other high school stat and you shouldn't be looking at any one state to assess someone's ability.  There's 10 pages of me trying to explain that someone on this board (oh the irony).

So have I and **** well through a fit when the numbers were corrected by the coaching staff

High school and college are two completely different animals so our discussion on SM is completely irrelevant. Hey if think the kid amazing by all means