• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

P Pablo Garabitos

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

I put this info on the baseball commits link on the Prospects/Recruits board, but it's a little buried and I think it's worth repeating here. Lakewood Ranch High pitcher Pablo Garabitos - a USF signee - has a stat line this season (according to Max Preps) that I had to do a double take on. He's 10-0. In 70.2 innings, he's allowed 39 hits, ONE earned run, walked 12 and struck out 90! He threw a one-hit shutout with 13Ks on Tuesday night vs. Manatee to put his team into the district title game. I have no idea what his draft status might be for the summer, but we obviously need to get this kid on campus. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

“It’s tough to say,” said Kennedy when asked if the University of South Florida-bound Garabitos is a better hitter or pitcher. “He’s hitting .400 and his ERA is pretty good, too. It’s tough to say. He’s a ball player. He wants to compete. He wants the ball. He wants to be up at the plate at the right times.”

Link

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

And he's pitching against some very good teams - district with Manatee, Sarasota, Palmetto are all really top-level high school programs. The school where I work has a good program. We're 17-4 and Manatee pounded us 13-7.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

He's 10-0. In 70.2 innings, he's allowed 39 hits, ONE earned run, walked 12 and struck out 90! He threw a one-hit shutout with 13Ks on Tuesday night vs. Manatee

K:BB ratio is awesome. The ERA things isn't as crazy as you might think. Errors are pretty common and that gets a lot of HS pitchers off the hook, , his 7 total runs against is pretty good. He clearly throws a ton of strikes, which is half the battle. I haven't seen his name in any of the MLB draft projects 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

These are the times I really regret my dad is no longer an MLB scout.  I would have had the inside info by now.  :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brad said:

The picture of his stride makes my elbow hurt. Might want to look at that to get his arm back on time, the picture makes it looks like he puts a ton of torque on it.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Perfect Game has OF listed as his primary position with SP secondary.  It has his FB topping out at 87 as of last summer, but he seems to throw a lot of strikes.   Didn't see him listed in the top 250 prospects or the top 100 high school prospects.  He did participate in the Breakthrough Showcase in Bradenton last summer which produced 16 draft picks in the 2017 draft.  He sounds like a very good USF signing with some professional potential.

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

And he's pitching against some very good teams - district with Manatee, Sarasota, Palmetto are all really top-level high school programs. The school where I work has a good program. We're 17-4 and Manatee pounded us 13-7.

Manatee is sub .500 this year and winless in the district.  http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/manatee-hurricanes-(bradenton,fl)/baseball/schedule.htm

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

K:BB ratio is awesome. The ERA things isn't as crazy as you might think. Errors are pretty common and that gets a lot of HS pitchers off the hook, , his 7 total runs against is pretty good. He clearly throws a ton of strikes, which is half the battle. I haven't seen his name in any of the MLB draft projects 

That's the point of an ERA 

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

That's the point of an ERA 

Right but one error might happen after the first batter and then pitcher proceeds to give up four hits and three additional runs. the pitcher still leaves with no earned runs but that doesn't tell the story.  In college where E's are less common, ERA is a better stat to look at, but when looking at high school pitchers, you will find a lot bad HS pitchers with good ERAs because its pretty typical for HS to have at least one error per game. 

I like to look at runs against period, Earned or not, but a lot of people think that's un-fair to the pitcher. I take the approach as your job to get soft contact and get out of innings even when the defense gives up and extra out.  

this kid only has 7 total Runs against, that pretty fantastic over the course of ten starts.  But the number of .010 would suggest that he is a world beater and that's probably not true. 

Edited by BrassBulls12
  • Upvote 1