• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

P Pablo Garabitos

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Right but one error might happen after the first batter and then pitcher proceeds to give up four hits and three additional runs. the pitcher still leaves with no earned runs but that doesn't tell the story.  In college where E's are less common, ERA is a better stat to look at, but when looking at high school pitchers, you will find a lot bad HS pitchers with good ERAs because its pretty typical for HS to have at least one error per game. 

That wouldn't be "no" earned runs.

I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really apply.  Maybe if the guy was 0-10 with only 1 earned run

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

That wouldn't be "no" earned runs.

I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really apply.  Maybe if the guy was 0-10 with only 1 earned run

I meant to change "after the first batter" to "after the second out" which would make the statement true. I'm just saying there are a lot of High School pitchers who can't break a light bulb on a brick wall with sub 1.50 ERA's, I see this every year. If you look at ERA's for HS pitchers, you're gonna get burned more often than not. 

I'm not saying he is  a bad pitcher, just that ERA doesn't do much to separate pretenders from contenders in HS. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

ERA means very little in high school. The "official" scorer is someone's dad sitting in a lawn chair. Schools notoriously pad their kid's stats, protect their ace pitcher with shady errors for his ERA or to keep a no-hitter going. They give their own kids hits to raise their batting averages. The numbers are fun and they tell a story, but they're not even close to accurate. We did it all the time at both high schools I coached at. Especially for our kids bound for baseball well past high school.

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

he "official" scorer is someone's dad sitting in a lawn chair.

This was going to be my next point. all the number are put in by someone who is biased, in some way. To put it in perspective, 63 FL pitchers have sub 1 ERA's and 179 nationwide. Are we really going to assume there are that many stud pitchers? Runs against is good because the scores have to be officially put in so its harder to go around that number, although some do by just not inputting in the stats part. 

12 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

This was going to be my next point. all the number are put in by someone who is biased, in some way. To put it in perspective, 63 FL pitchers have sub 1 ERA's and 179 nationwide. Are we really going to assume there are that many stud pitchers? Runs against is good because the scores have to be officially put in so its harder to go around that number, although some do by just not inputting in the stats part. 

Why is runs against good if all the runs are being scored off errors and defensive miscues?  1 earned run in 70.2 earnings is pretty **** good, I don't care who's daddy is keeping Gamechanger.

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Why is runs against good if all the runs are being scored off errors and defensive miscues?  1 earned run in 70.2 earnings is pretty **** good, I don't care who's daddy is keeping Gamechanger.

No one said "all", just enough to pad the numbers. Of his 7 unearned runs who's to say that five of them were earned just not put in that way? I've said throughout this whole thread that he does seem to be pretty good. But I don't think we have the fourth best High school pitcher in the state (which is where his ERA ranks). We probably have closer to a solid top 20 pitcher in the state ( which is where his total runs against ranks and strikeouts would put him). Meaning he is a quality D1 recruit, not a guy we should worried about losing to the draft. 

But again they are all just numbers that someone put into a website, nothing more. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,035
  • Days Won:  469

How about whip and k/9ip?

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Probably can't use that because someone's neighbor's uncle's ex wife may be cooking the books

14 minutes ago, Brad said:

A quick calculation would put his whip at about .78 ( 39 hits, 12 BB, over 70.2) which is pretty good. but again, as team they have 46 E's as a team, so you have to question how many were truly E's. 

he averages 8 k per 7 innings. again pretty good, not out of this world. 

Edited by BrassBulls12