• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

I think Holtz is our best coach, except for recorded wins.

This is being asinine.

You can compare stats of two coaches.

You cannot compare stats of a quarterback to a corner or defensive end. QBs, and offensive players in general, have more "raw stats" recorded for them. Period. I get how it sounds laughable in a vacuum but with context it makes sense.

What you're left with is being able to compare with your eyeballs their dominance at a position. Or, by proxy using someone's more educated eyeballs. A consensus All American honor is much more significant than anything Q ever did here, on a personal level. So is being drafted. And starting in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Auggie Sanchez signs with Falcons!

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, mjadams said:

Im just not giving that honor to someone who was on our campus maybe 12 months? 

I wasn't even thinking that when I scoffed at JPP being our best Bull ever. Selvie's stats were that good as FR and his SO year was probably our best defensive season ever. Then he played two more years that were well above average.

I love me some Marlon Mack, and he was amazing, but it's not like he smoked Andre Hall statistically and wasn't even in the also mentioned for national stats.

I'm not entirely sure how you quantify Jenkins and Allen if you don't use stats, obviously they were great and went on to the NFL, but their numbers weren't light years ahead of everyone else. I'm sure you can make the case that their excellence led to a lack of countable stats.

I'm a numbers guy, and when you put QF up against every other person to play his position at USF, put him up against every other person to play QB in college football, he wasn't just outstanding by our standards, he was insanely good by ANY standards.

Selvie gets bonus points points for 4 years of excellence and 1 of those being a consensus All-American.

QF gets his bonus for playing the most important position on the field and 37 school records.

QF wins by a hair. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

Mr. JTrue, any consideration for the competition levels QF faced compared to many of the players from the Big East era?

Also, I think Mack outplayed Hall, then again, it was in the AAC.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

25 minutes ago, Brad said:

Mr. JTrue, any consideration for the competition levels QF faced compared to many of the players from the Big East era?

Also, I think Mack outplayed Hall, then again, it was in the AAC.

I was going to throw that in, but deleted it. I started typing something up in regards to Mack v. Hall, but then realized the same could be said for QF. I believe the old Big East and our schedule was tougher back then, but I think the way in which QF smoked all QB stats before him makes it tough to ignore. I think if you're adjusting for schedule, it makes Selvie's contributions even more impressive, but I still look at all the records and lean towards QF for the overall award. If we decide it's very hard to compare position to position, then take whoever you think is the best USF player at a spot and replace him with someone else. Where would the biggest drop off be? Sort of a poor man's WAR like they use in baseball. Wins Above Replacement. 

And we're about to see what the drop off is between QF and a replacement...

Edited by JTrue

It's pretty insane to me to say the drop off would be huge from Q to Grothe or Blackwell. The Great 8 would've only been in danger of losing to the same 2 teams that Q did.

Except Grothe never did lose to UCF.

That's also not a fair comparison. A QB is naturally capable of completely losing the game if he's inept. A DE will not. I could play DE and we'd still have won a bunch of games last year. We'd win zero if I played QB. Likewise, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders wouldn't have broken 37 records here... Simply because they couldn't. You'd be delusional to say they're not better players, though.

Q has had the most statistical impact of any player in our history. I don't care to debate that. I'm suggesting his stats, and the competition he played against, don't tell the whole story.

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Looking at Nichols stats and impact I am surprised that he did not get drafted. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266
  • Days Won:  0

How has D'Ernest not been signed yet?