• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gotta love CFU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

29 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

I agree that I no longer buy the argument that Auburn had nothing to play for. They were playing for SEC pride and they let all of the SEC down. UCF called the SEC out and backed up their talk. No one is going to tell me Auburn was no up for that game. UCF was the better team and it remains to be seen if they were better than both UGA & Bama. To say that UCF does not deserve a share of that national title is just being in denial. 

Actually, saying UCF is in the same class as Bama or UGA is being in denial.  Again, we can argue that there should be an expanded playoff format that gives a team like UCF a shot at winning a national title, but under the current format there is no way they deserve to be CoChamps.  Just not realistic. There is literally no way they go 13-0 playing an SEC type schedule.

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Actually, saying UCF is in the same class as Bama or UGA is being in denial.  Again, we can argue that there should be an expanded playoff format that gives a team like UCF a shot at winning a national title, but under the current format there is no way they deserve to be CoChamps.  Just not realistic. There is literally no way they go 13-0 playing an SEC type schedule.

They wouldn't need to go 13-0 to get in the playoff in the SEC so the argument whether or not they could is not logical. Alabama's "SEC gauntlet" was Vanderbilt (5-7)-Ole Miss (6-6)-TAMU (7-6)-Arkansas(4-8)-Tennessee(4-8) then they had a couple close wins, their best wins over LSU and Miss State, played a FCS cupcake in the middle of the conference schedule and then lost their only game vs a top 20 opponent. Here is sagarin elo rankings for some sec teams. It is basically 3 great teams in Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia, a couple other fringe top 25 teams in South Carolina and Miss State and then garbage.

florida 91
tennessee 119
arkansas 102
ole miss 106
texas a&m 46
lsu 34
vanderbilt 105
kentucky 73
missouri 78

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,004
  • Days Won:  469

What a difference a conference is making for Wichita State, huh?

1 hour ago, bullsfan1983 said:

They wouldn't need to go 13-0 to get in the playoff in the SEC so the argument whether or not they could is not logical. Alabama's "SEC gauntlet" was Vanderbilt (5-7)-Ole Miss (6-6)-TAMU (7-6)-Arkansas(4-8)-Tennessee(4-8) then they had a couple close wins, their best wins over LSU and Miss State, played a FCS cupcake in the middle of the conference schedule and then lost their only game vs a top 20 opponent. Here is sagarin elo rankings for some sec teams. It is basically 3 great teams in Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia, a couple other fringe top 25 teams in South Carolina and Miss State and then garbage.

florida 91
tennessee 119
arkansas 102
ole miss 106
texas a&m 46
lsu 34
vanderbilt 105
kentucky 73
missouri 78

Every one of those teams finishes in the upper half of the AAC.  Heck, most of them probably have a good shot at winning it.  And the argument is UCF should be CoChamps or have a shot in the CFP because they went 13-0 so saying they wouldn't be 13-0 in the SEC is "logical".  But I'll take it a step further and say they would have been lucky to finish .500 in the SEC this year.  And I'm not an SEC shill in the least, but realistically we and UCF are not built to withstand the grind of a week in, week out SEC schedule.

Edited by chapelbull
  • Downvote 2

The argument should be the CFP should be expanded to 8 teams and include a G5 team or teams like USF, UCF, etc should be added to one of the P5 conferences. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Every one of those teams finishes in the upper half of the AAC.  Heck, most of them probably have a good shot at winning it.  And the argument is UCF should be CoChamps or have a shot in the CFP because they went 13-0 so saying they wouldn't be 13-0 in the SEC is "logical".  But I'll take it a step further and say they would have been lucky to finish .500 in the SEC this year.  And I'm not an SEC shill in the least, but realistically we and UCF are not built to withstand the grind of a week in, week out SEC schedule.

Most years I agree this year the SEC was horrible and many teams had lame duck coaching situations. Missouri finished above .500 and their wins were Missouri State, Idaho, UConn, Florida (with interim coach), Vanderbilt, Tennessee (with interim coach), and Arkansas (with lame duck coach). If you don’t think UCF could have pulled that off I’ll have some of what you are smoking. There were 3 excellent teams in the SEC this year, 2 other teams that on a game to game basis could give a top team trouble and then garbage. 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

The argument should be the CFP should be expanded to 8 teams and include a G5 team or teams like USF, UCF, etc should be added to one of the P5 conferences. 

That has been my argument since they ever stated this BS P5 4 team playoff format. For now, just call it what it is. G5 teams are pretty much excluded from it.

4 minutes ago, bullsfan1983 said:

Most years I agree this year the SEC was horrible and many teams had lame duck coaching situations. Missouri finished above .500 and their wins were Missouri State, Idaho, UConn, Florida (with interim coach), Vanderbilt, Tennessee (with interim coach), and Arkansas (with lame duck coach). If you don’t think UCF could have pulled that off I’ll have some of what you are smoking. There were 3 excellent teams in the SEC this year, 2 other teams that on a game to game basis could give a top team trouble and then garbage. 

LOL, you're leaving out UGA, Bama, Auburn, USC, Miss St., LSU, etc.  Even if they had all those "weaker" teams on their schedule they're not running the table against them, when they have to play them week to week.   I'm definitely not the one smoking something.  

10 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

That has been my argument since they ever stated this BS P5 4 team playoff format. For now, just call it what it is. G5 teams are pretty much excluded from it.

It's always been that way.  We didn't have a playoff at all until just the past few years.  Obviously most teams went into the season without a shot at the title hence the bowl system. 

59 minutes ago, CostSegAdvisor said:

Two key points that get missed:

1) team would NOT need to run the table to be included in playoff if played that schedul

2) if played that schedule would be earning $30-35 million (or more) per year so with those resource would be able to step up recruiting, facilities, and edth.

so of course would be able to compete...year in and year out.

give UCF, USF, Memphis or Houston those extra fund s and there would be a difference 

Those points aren't being missed, they just don't apply this year.  UCF didn't play that schedule and they don't have those funds.  They'd be lucky to be .500 in the SEC this year.