• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Dominoes Are Starting To Fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

But he didn't go undefeated!

lying+season+gif.gif

Whoa Olivia Munn in G4 days.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

You can defend him all you want, but he's never gonna be the guy that gets us to that next level. If you wanna win 7-10 games a year in perpetuity, than sure by all means keep him around as long as he wants to be here. The guy is an above average recruiter and defensive mind, but an average at best head coach. 

He's certainly not the go for the throat kind of coach Frost is. I wouldn't get rid of Strong at this point but I do think his conservative mentality will keep us from a 14-0 season while also avoiding the lows of an 0-12. Personally I'd take a 2 year turn around Peach Bowl win from an 0-12 rather than consistent above average 9-3, no conference championships and Birmingham bowls in perpetuity.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Rich Rod has had a crappy reputation for the past decade. Then he loses his job for sexual misconduct.....and u have the audacity to even make this comment? Im sorry what has Charlie done to het this treatment besides lead us to a 10-2 season?

Also, we won 10 games in spite of him, not because him. When you have the most talented roster your school has ever seen led by the best player you've ever had (most likely ever will have), you don't lose to the only two teams on your schedule with a winning record. You beat your hated rival, play in a conf champ game, and then in a major bowl game...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I think you got to give him “at least” one year with his players and his system with those players before burning down the house

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think you got to give him “at least” one year with his players and his system with those players before burning down the house

The problem is we didn't have one year for him to be able to figure it out with his own system and players. I feel pretty strongly that a major reason he was hired was because Harlan believed we needed an established coach who could come in and simply take the talent we had on the roster and not screw it up. He knew this was supposed to be the year the program was taken to the next level and didn't want a first time head coach learning on the job. If you would've told me last year when we were looking for a coach that we were gonna go 9-2, while sitting on our asses yet again on the first Saturday in December and then taking another trip back to wonderful Birmingham, I would've said just find an up and coming coordinator or smaller G5 head coach who is hungry and wants to make a name for himself. The G5 teams that have had success lately have done exactly that. The ones who went the way of the older retread who had flamed out at a P5 school like Cincy (Tubberville) and UConn (Edsall) haven't fared so well.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

23 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

The problem is we didn't have one year for him to be able to figure it out with his own system and players. I feel pretty strongly that a major reason he was hired was because Harlan believed we needed an established coach who could come in and simply take the talent we had on the roster and not screw it up. He knew this was supposed to be the year the program was taken to the next level and didn't want a first time head coach learning on the job. If you would've told me last year when we were looking for a coach that we were gonna go 9-2, while sitting on our asses yet again on the first Saturday in December and then taking another trip back to wonderful Birmingham, I would've said just find an up and coming coordinator or smaller G5 head coach who is hungry and wants to make a name for himself. The G5 teams that have had success lately have done exactly that. The ones who went the way of the older retread who had flamed out at a P5 school like Cincy (Tubberville) and UConn (Edsall) haven't fared so well.

To be fair UCONN tried to do what you're advocating when Edsall left for Maryland and they hired Diaco after the brief Pasqualoni era..  Diaco inherited a program that under Edsall that had been consistently making bowls, and just missed bowls under Pasqualoni and proceeded to not have a single winning season in his 3 years there.  Also, it's intellectually dishonest to claim Edsall is a failure when this season was his first season back...  I'm expecting UCONN to be back to being pesky in a couple years once Edsall gets a few recruting cycles in up there.   He knows how to recruit and win at UCONN.....

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

So you would advocate getting rid of him? Dropping a coach after only one year will make it very difficult for anyone to want to coach you at the school

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

To be fair UCONN tried to do what you're advocating when Edsall left for Maryland and they hired Diaco.  Diaco inherited a program that under Edsall only had been consistently making bowls and proceeded to not have a single winning season in his 3 years there.  Also, it's intellectually dishonest to claim Edsall is a failure when this season was his first season back...  I'm expecting UCONN to be back to being pesky in a couple years once Edsall gets a few recruting cycles in up there.   He knows how to recruit and win at UCONN.....

He sure is tearing it up on the recruiting trail so far....

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=AAC

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

So you would advocate getting rid of him? Dropping a coach after only one year will make it very difficult for anyone to want to coach you at the school

No I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying I don't think he is the guy we need to take us to the next level and it wouldn't be a bad thing at all if he decided to leave.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, goldenbrahm1996 said:

He sure is tearing it up on the recruiting trail so far....

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=AAC

He never had the best recruiting classes in the conference and it didn't stop him from winning the Big East Twice and sending a decent amount of kids to the NFL.   Edsall knows what he's doing.