• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Dominoes Are Starting To Fall

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

51 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

When you have the most talented roster your school has ever seen

So we lose two of the most prolific offensive players in the history of the program but this year's team was more talented .......... riiiiiiiiiight.

Edited by Triple B

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

Whoa Olivia Munn in G4 days.

She's normally a G6 for me, but it is **** cold out today.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

37 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

The problem is we didn't have one year for him to be able to figure it out with his own system and players. I feel pretty strongly that a major reason he was hired was because Harlan believed we needed an established coach who could come in and simply take the talent we had on the roster and not screw it up. He knew this was supposed to be the year the program was taken to the next level and didn't want a first time head coach learning on the job. If you would've told me last year when we were looking for a coach that we were gonna go 9-2, while sitting on our asses yet again on the first Saturday in December and then taking another trip back to wonderful Birmingham, I would've said just find an up and coming coordinator or smaller G5 head coach who is hungry and wants to make a name for himself. The G5 teams that have had success lately have done exactly that. The ones who went the way of the older retread who had flamed out at a P5 school like Cincy (Tubberville) and UConn (Edsall) haven't fared so well.

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So you would advocate getting rid of him? Dropping a coach after only one year will make it very difficult for anyone to want to coach you at the school

No but I understand and share the frustration. We didn't get a Gruden to take the team that was ready for the next level to the promised land. Instead we squandered our best team against a very weak schedule and ended up treading water.

Now I'm just willing to see how Charlie does with his system and his players. I won't be frustrated anymore with how he's using the talent he inherited. I'll be able to have a new set of frustrations or joys.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

No but I understand and share the frustration. We didn't get a Gruden to take the team that was ready for the next level to the promised land. Instead we squandered our best team against a very weak schedule and ended up treading water.

Now I'm just willing to see how Charlie does with his system and his players. I won't be frustrated anymore with how he's using the talent he inherited. I'll be able to have a new set of frustrations or joys.

For the people who are even toying with the idea of seeing CCS fired, you're going to be finding a lot more frustrations than joys no matter what he does the rest of his time at USF.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Everyone keeps saying "best team" the reality is that we likely had our best OFFENSE ever last year (2016). The defense on this team was terrible in 2016 and not good in 2017. We were much better, and the stats show that we were somewhat good, but, our LBs were not very good and at the end of the day, that is a huge factor to a defense. I am sick of hearing how this was our best team ever. People get caught up with the offense and forget that the other side of the ball was not great. UCF thrashed our defense in the first half. Houston sustained drives against us.

CCS was relatively aggressive at UL, but, he had a defense to back it up. I personally believe that his feeling this year was that talent on defense just wasn't great, so, if he could use the offense to sustain drives and eat up clock, that was better than putting the defense out there to get run down and fatigued. I personally don't buy into the fact that CCS is too conservative overall. I do think he very specifically guarded his defense with a conservative offense this year, but, we also saw huge strides in the defense's productivity with a good coach. Assuming he continues to build talent on that side of the ball, I think CCS gets more aggressive when he doesn't have to worry as much about losing a game with his defense. I for one was more than happy when Texas Tech scored quickly and gave the ball back to Flowers (actually, felt the same about UCF, but, fumble). Back in the CJL days, we all would have much rather had the Houston situation where our defense just had to get a stop to preserve a win. That defense was build for closing games. The one from this year was not.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,002
  • Days Won:  38

50 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

You get to see for one more year and then we have to land a Scott Frost after he goes.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, Rocky Style said:

You get to see for one more year and then we have to land a Scott Frost after he goes.

I do have that feeling. He didn't get any offers this year but I think he's 2 and done here.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I think FSU has a problem

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

54 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think FSU has a problem

Could have sworn I read this days ago. Bruce needs to get on the ball ...

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

You can defend him all you want, but he's never gonna be the guy that gets us to that next level. If you wanna win 7-10 games a year in perpetuity, than sure by all means keep him around as long as he wants to be here. The guy is an above average recruiter and defensive mind, but an average at best head coach. 

yea the same was said about Taggart. And the same peoplw who crapped on him are the same people missing him.