• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Guest Vanilla Rice

Sherrif, my boy Hugh Smith told me how crazy you were back in the day.  He calls you "Crazy Luke."  I'm sure Jimbo didn't appreciate the humor, but it's always nice to hear someone on the team has a good sense of humor.  

I don't want to add things on posts to start rumors as I have knowledge of what's going on.  It's funny reading this thing sometimes, but I just don't like when people sometimes talk about players not getting it done.  It's not like it's the intention of players to play bad.  Sometimes when you lose a game it's just that the opponent is just better (except for the case with Army).  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vanilla Rice

S. Bien, how is it that you've been to practice when no one is allowed at practice (not even the media).  

Anyways, okay sports fans here's the bottom line.  USF will not be hurting at D-line this year with Searcy moving over to offense and with Ramon quitting the team and Curtis getting the boot.  Every year you look for eight guys that can play.  That's all you need!  Now, where losing Ramon and others will hurt is for the future.  Although you are only looking for eight guys that can play, you always want young bucs waiting in the wings gathering experience.  But this year it will not hurt.  But from the way it's looking, it looks like the recruiting priority this year will be defensive linemen.  You have Tim graduating and you have Terrance and Stix gone as well.  In the long run it might hurt because finding defensive linemen in this state isn't like finding WR or DB.  Florida is bar none the BEST state for football talent in the country.  Unfortunately, that talent is mostly skill position players.  The quality DT's and DE's in this state most often go to the Big Three or other SEC schools.  That is why when you look at USF's d-line they are somewhat undersized.  it's because you want guys that are athletic and can move rather than big fat guys who can't.  Unfortunately, the top DL in the state typically look at other schools because they are looking for one thing......which school can get them to the NFL.  Usually if you are one of the state's top defensive linemen you will chose FSU, UF or Miami or an SEC school.  So what's left over?  Basically undersized but athletic defensive tackles.  That is why Tim Jones is playing tackle and not end.  Although he has the size, speed, spin, etc. for a future pro DE.....he is also the biggest person USF has to play on the defensive line and with Terrance, Stix and Buie, and with the lack of experience in the interior, Tim is best suited for the team this year at interior.  BUT, like everyone knows, at USF, a lot of the defensive lineman pull swing duty and play everywhere.  Tim has played both inside and outside as has Terrance royal as I'm sure T. Rob will this year too.  Again, the reason for that is you are looking for EIGHT guys who can play.  Whether they can contribute inside or outside.  All you need is eight guys who can play.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Rice - Certain groups such as the Tampa Sports Club, certain donors, etc. have been granted access to practice.  In fact the Tampa Sports Club has an annual outing at a USF spring practice.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

as omni said, and in fact I bumped into him at that practice.

vanilla, now that's what I am talking about- bringing some real information.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Great thread.  The question remains in my mind - Do we have 8 guys who can play on DL this year?  Royal, Robinson, Searcy, Jones are proven.  Cray has had some PT.  Who are the other 3 who can play?

Guest Vanilla Rice

Sorry S. Bien.  Spring practice is one thing.  Fall practice is another.  Practice is closed to EVERYONE.  Even the media can only show up like 15 minutes before it's over and that's when we are doing nothing but running wind sprints or something stupid.  Right now all you need are eight guys that can play and of those eight guys some of them will swing both inside and outside.  This year won't be a problem.....next year is a different story unless some defensive linemen get recruited and signed.  one good thing is that you can pretty much promise them immediate playing time due to the lack of depth.  But you're solid with Eric and Tim up front and Terrance and either Stix or T. Rob at the ends.  Backing those guys up you are still solid with Cray, Clebert and Buie.  The only thing that worrys me is that you are giving up a lot of size when you go up against Big East offensive linemen and those linemen are HUGE (West Virginia, Louisville have some of the biggest O-linemen in the country).  Don't expect Searcy to return to d-line.  

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Sorry S. Bien.  Spring practice is one thing.  Fall practice is another.  Practice is closed to EVERYONE.  Even the media can only show up like 15 minutes before it's over and that's when we are doing nothing but running wind sprints or something stupid.  Right now all you need are eight guys that can play and of those eight guys some of them will swing both inside and outside.  This year won't be a problem.....next year is a different story unless some defensive linemen get recruited and signed.  one good thing is that you can pretty much promise them immediate playing time due to the lack of depth.  But you're solid with Eric and Tim up front and Terrance and either Stix or T. Rob at the ends.  Backing those guys up you are still solid with Cray, Clebert and Buie.  The only thing that worrys me is that you are giving up a lot of size when you go up against Big East offensive linemen and those linemen are HUGE (West Virginia, Louisville have some of the biggest O-linemen in the country).  Don't expect Searcy to return to d-line.  

No problem, I think I'll get a chance to check you all out again at a fall one if things work out.  I've been to fall practices in the past, and I know what you're talking about- twice as intense.

Searcy looked pretty good on the OL at the spring game hopefully he can contribute there.   I hear that George Kearse, a very good DE/DT we signed in 2003 with Buie, is still on track for JC graduation in the fall, and still wants to come to USF.  He didn't play last year to get academics in order.  Hopefully he will help fill DT depth in 2006.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

The two greatest helps to our undersized DL will be rushing the ball successfully w/Hall (keeping the D off the field) and making the opponents O's one dimensional.  That was the biggest success of the 2002 squad.  Nobody could rush on them.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Vanilla Rice... if you get a chance to talk to Hugh... grab his number for me. My cell phone got ruined and certain numbers of friends that I try to hook up with in Tampa are lost. By the way... Hugh is a great wingman... we had a lot of fun nights bar hopping trying to score.  Ask him about the girl from Holland. Great story... Welcome to America... Remember... caring is sharing!

Guest Vanilla Rice

The Sherrif,

Yeah, I talk to Hugh pretty regularly.  I dont' want to post his e-mail or cell number on here as I'm sure the crazy's will go wild with that or get minor wood from that.  Hugh told me some pretty funny stories about you and how you used to have girls put signs in front of Eight Mile (aka the old trailers) that said "play Luke."  He also told me about the time you were hurt or something and you came to the spring scrimmage with a lawn chair and a big cup of lemonade.  I'm sure Jimbo was furious about that.  ha ha ha.  Anyway, I don't want to post my e-mail on here either (as there are some crazy's on here).  But if you want to post your e-mail, I will send it to him.  Hugh checks his e-mail regularly as he just e-mailed me today.  He's up in Canada and his cell cost more to use up there.  He's doing good with the opportunity that he has.  He was cut, then signed to the practice squad which was a blessing in disguise.  It was between Hugh and this guy from Maryland who is the ACC's career leader in punt returns and the Tiger Cats went with the Maryland guy.  But the guy got hurt so now Hugh is getting his big shot.