• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ya get what ya pay for

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

They (the Athletic Dept.) are not forced to post here.  

When there are a handful of people clamoring over an issue, anyone from any side of the issue can simply post here to address the issue.  Eric does a terrific job using this board among his means of communication to Bulls fans (as does Vicki).  

Eric is well respected and his posts are valued.  In no way is his involvement here only as a method of "self-defense".  And I really don't think it was this time.  He used this medium to inform others of what has happened and what is actively happening.  

It is better to have that involvement than to delete posts that question the progress of the program.  By coming on the board and addressing the issue, the program advances.  

Many good things come out of questioning the programs and people at USF.  Sometimes they come on here as Eric did, sometimes a story appears on TBO or the St. Pete Times addressing the very issues discussed here on this board.

Therefore, I still stand in support of a Bulls fan to question our beloved alma mater.  I will not, however, stand for rude or insulting comments made about out administrators, coaches, players and programs.  That is where the line is drawn and that is why some of the posts about T.V. were edited or deleted.

Finally, the bottom line is getting information out.  If you, or anyone else, can contradict a claim (or negative post) made by the usual suspects please do so.  If I can contradict it, I will.   If Eric or any other personality from USF wants to contradict the claim and/or dispense good information this is an ideal vehicle for it.

This is not a "homer" site, but rather a site that openly welcomes all Bulls fans including those that are not satisfied with the status quo (whether fully informed or not).  We want to help build a strong Bulls fan base and stifling opinion is not a good way to do it.

HMMM interesting for you to say such a thing, when someone posts this:

Some of you I know are going to rip on some of this, but I don't think it's right to wine about what we aren't doing without stating what we are doing.

Sorry Brad, but that sounds to me like a defense.  Say what you want, and no one wants a 'homer' site, but this has become an increasingly antagonist website.  I am not all pro-USF, but it appears that unless you're willing to outright bash the Athletic Department or a program then you're just a 'homer', or as smazza so eloquently calls it 'ass lover'.

Eric's post is unlike many of his past; this one was clearly trying to defuse a few issues and provide some fact and clarity as opposed to the BS assumed about them on this site.  I am finding this site becoming nearly offensive at times for USF fans, and riddled with misnomers or BS spread about USF with an antagonistic point of view.  It's almost ironic how we all complain about fan support on a thread, and in that very same thread some fans bash the Athletic Department, almost uncontrollably.  Does it occur to someone that maybe we're facilitiating that type of apathy?  Why come to this board as a burgeoning new fan, interested in USF information because all you'll get is an earful from smazza, sheriff and the rest of the naysayers.

I trust your opinion, and your efforts on this site but just read some of the threads.  I look at this website and think of the old adage, "Who needs enemies when you have friends like this."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

My point is Eric posts here frequently, he not only appears on the board to "defend", but mostly to inform as he did in his post.

I see the same negativity you mention.  I can't speak for people new to the board, but I think most of us know who is grinding what ax when negative comments are made.  

When we have as large a group of Bulls fans posting, we're bound to have some that mostly see only negatives.  

The latest duo, identified by SCBullsFan is a couple of disgruntled Bulls fans urging each other on in their negativity.  I think I know what drives each to be so critical.  When I take that into consideration, I simply skip right by their posts.

We have far more supportive and positive thinking Bulls fans on this board - my guess is they do the same.  They see the same old posters with the same old complaints and they choose not to even repond to their recycled criticisms.

Again, there are a number of ways to deal with negative posts.  The best being to confront the compainant with facts, not insults or censorship.

modified to replace USFBulls83 with SCBullsFan

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

This naysayer just wants what is best for our University. SBien... you put me on the defensive... it wasn't the other way around if you take a look.

I'm going to call Uncle Smazza up now and discuss our next plot on the adminstration from the West Coast...

Come on bien... I offer to help organize meet and greets from over 2100 miles away. I've volunteered to donate what I can afford to bus funds for student road trips... call someone else a naysayer.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

...it was the game opponent and ESPN/Vitale that brought out the fans to that game, not the cookout....  If we were playing anyone else, that wouldn't have happened, cookout or not.

Let's try and keep the truth to a minimum, shall we? It takes all the fun out of attendance directed diatribes. :o

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

The student body suffers from two problems:

Ignorance and Apathy.

It's had to combat either of them and the inertia they possess.

Remember one of Newton's laws: objects at rest tend to stay at rest... an apathetic student body will tend to stay an apathetic student body.

There is one sure thing that can cure apathy: WINNING.

(See Lightning, Tampa Bay; Buccaneers, Tampa Bay; etc)...

Regardless of the affinity we all have for USF, students view athletic events the same way they view frat parties, movies, Ybor nightclubs, etc... it's about Entertainment.  Winning is entertaining.  Losing is not.

I think CJL and CRM are doing the right things to put their teams on par with their competition. To be sure, football is closer to its competition than men's basketball .... but both are close enough to solve the winning problem.

Just win, baby!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Let's try and keep the truth to a minimum, shall we? It takes all the fun out of attendance directed diatribes. :o

Like Lt. Daniel Kaffee, some people can't handle the truth.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Guys, I am not saying let's have a BBQ/ Kegger EVERY game. Heck we do this at the tailgate! But to have at least one or two for each season, especially for the big games doesn't seem like too much of a liability. We are a wet campus, but current trends are striving to be a dry one. What was it like in the 70's-80's when we were REALLY wet with the Empty Keg on campus. What was done to get students involved? THESE are the answers I am looking for. I guess with anything nowadays, everything comes with a price. Wheter it is liability or apathy. I guess it's all part of the plan.   ::toasting::

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,158

Hey Guys:

Didn't mean to cause a stir with perhaps some poorly chosen words on my part.  I think most of you know that I don't mind people criticizing us as long as it is constructive.  I don't think we know everything and if we aren't willing to listen to the fan base that we rely upon to financially support our program, then we aren't doing our jobs.

I used the defense term with some sarcasm.  I've had conversations with most people on this board and those that know me well know how much I love to use sarcasm.  I don't find the comments from anyone in this subject heading to be offensive or demeaning, I just wanted to make people aware that we are doing some things to address the very issue this topic is about.  I think I have a pretty good handle about which comments to take seriously and which ones to take with a grain of salt.

Keep the ideas coming and I'll try to keep you posted on some things we are doing.  It is an exciting year coming up and we hope that it is the best in the history of USF Athletics.

Go Bulls!

Eric

P.S. to Reaper

The Florida game was before my time here in Tampa.  I've only been here for 3 years.  But I hope we have that again at some point in time.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

This naysayer just wants what is best for our University. SBien... you put me on the defensive... it wasn't the other way around if you take a look.

I'm going to call Uncle Smazza up now and discuss our next plot on the adminstration from the West Coast...

Come on bien... I offer to help organize meet and greets from over 2100 miles away. I've volunteered to donate what I can afford to bus funds for student road trips... call someone else a naysayer.

I get where everyone is coming from, and honestly Terry your criticism, when given, has always been constructive and reasonable (although incessant and almost irreversible on some topics like hoops).  I suppose I get tired of reading every **** thread on this board where at least one post has someone insistant on providing a reason why we're not doing things right or better.  

Maybe it's the way this board is constructed.  On other websites you can view the entire thread, so for instance, if you see that smazza has replied to a thread, you don't have to respond, or even read his post.  On this site when you open a thread you have to read ALL the responses regardless of the ridiculousness, and then almost feel compelled to respond.  It could just be perception, some threads start off quite innocuous but then sprinkle in a smazza response, then one or two of us jumping on him, then 1-2 anonymous jokers and suddenly these threads become pissing contests where there's no winner and USF gets thrashed in some manner.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

The bottom line is that if someone meant harm to USF or simply didn't care, they likely would not spend the time on this board.  

Everyone here has a desire to see USF succeed.  Some people express that desire and associated feelings in different, even harmful, ways.  As you know Mr. Bien, it is much easier to slam someone at USF if you don't have a relationship with that person.  Eric has a relationship with just about everyone on this board and people respect him.   We all appreciate his feedback and information.  By engaging with the fans that post here, he is building a stronger base for USF.  Sort of like shooting fish in a barrel (or gators in a swamp).

I doubt they'll come a day when things are just rosy with everyone.  We add new fans everyday.  Many newer fans have not suffered through what older fans have (no decent internet presence, no online audio for games, no football program, no watch parties, no student buses, etc.).  These folks at USF have made huge strides in their efforts.  When new fans compare us to Florida and Florida State in terms of our image and marketing - that's a good thing.  Tough to win the comparison, but good to be compared to.

Now for the long-time fans who often spew negativity - I think they mean well too.  I just don't think they are close enough to things to know how to address things properly.  And yes, sometimes you just have to ignore them.

USF is pulling out of yet another station on its journey to national prominence.  Change doesn't always happen fast enough.  If some don't want to climb aboard, that's too bad.