• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ya get what ya pay for

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

Is it not scary that we both complain about the same things between our two schools.  Lack of Student support!!!!!

Wish I knew the answer, but this has been a 20 year problem that has not been solved.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien
Is it not scary that we both complain about the same things between our two schools.  Lack of Student support!!!!!

Wish I knew the answer, but this has been a 20 year problem that has not been solved.

The difference is some geniuses on this board seem to think one man is to blame, or that there is even blame to be spread.  They fail to rationalize that until you do great things, metro fans will only provide passing interest- and that especially includes students.  Furthermore the budget and revenue have never been available to support the grandeous ideas.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

great things

a cure for cancer isn't needed

consistently winning games is

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

What suggestions have you given to help marketing to students SBien? When was the last time you were up at 3 AM passing out 2000+ flyers to a game throughout the campus? Remember... those flyers couldn't have anything keg related on them? If I recall, that was at my expense, my time, etc. We built something that had a chance to last longer than one season... but we received help only from individuals that weren't on the marketing side of things (Vicki Mitchell was in a different position at the time and provided us with a good amount of our support).

In 35 years (that's roughly how long hoops has been going on at USF), besides a period in the 90's, when has USF reached out to capture the student or coordinated efforts to mold the ways of future alumni? If you can answer that, then maybe this discussion would not be going on. Creativity can stretch limited dollars a long way... Look at the Washington Nationals... 1st place without a proven superstar and limited resources.

I would say to Veit to adapt and overcome... be more open minded. This is not a personal vendetta against Veit. When he fails, the university suffers... the hardcore fans such as ourselves suffer. There was more to just living in those tents than just drinking beer and mingling with coeds. We wanted what Duke has... my roommates will tell you how much it killed me seeing crappy attendance. What type of different gimmicks I used to lure people to the game and to keep them entertained while there so they would come back. Seeing all that goto waste really hurt. Seth wanted what I wanted (a packed place to play in front of). Whether his shortcomings as a coach cost us, he also contributed a lot more to marketing than any shoestring budget that got wasted.

If I had packed it in after the first couple of weeks with excuses when myself and Robbie were wondering if things would ever pick up, I would've missed out on three of the best following months of my life. Forget excuses SBien... creativity is the answer.

And your telling me if the budget was eclipsed but fans were coming they wouldn't reallocate funds? Come on now... it happens all the time.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

Sheriff:

Those limited resources and lack of superstars will catch up with the Nationals, at the end of the year they'll be lucky to finish third behind Marlins and Braves

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Reach the students now... and they will come back as grads.

Sheriff that has to be your best post.....ever.

Do whatever it takes (free food/beer) to get students to the games.

Make attendance a big part of winning the IFC best fraternity/ best sorierity award. If the sorieties show up the guys will follow, especially with beer and/or food.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

You shouldn't have to bribe students or lure them with food to watch their own team play. That might work the first couple times, after that they won't show up unless the event itself is something good. I'll bet that of the kids who end up going regularly, would have dropped by anyway and for the kids who never show up again, you have just wasted your money. It's up to RMC to re-establish a winning tradition on campus and "own the dome." The students aren't going to come out to watch a train wreck.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

Cyber, you say do whatever it takes to get students even if its food and beer. You can get the students out for the beer and food, but how do you get them into the seats? I can show up for the food and beer and then leave and not watch the game. What now? You can't serve food inside because of consessions. That's the problem you get with free food and beer.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Cyber, you say do whatever it takes to get students even if its food and beer. You can get the students out for the beer and food, but how do you get them into the seats? I can show up for the food and beer and then leave and not watch the game. What now? You can't serve food inside because of consessions. That's the problem you get with free food and beer.

Easy...

Get a card stamped when you enter the Sundome and get the card stamped when the game is over. No stamps, no eats.

You can also liven up the party afterwards by getting a local band to play some music....many bands will pay for free.....or get a DJ

All I am saying is that they should try something different that won't break the bank.  Regular events like this shouldn't be that hard.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

do what it takes to get students involved and to the games