• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

#26 verbal 2018 Jordan McCloud QB 3*

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

1-on-1 with USF Commit Jordan McCloud (Plant)

Jordan McCloud USF

Plant QB Jordan McCloud committed to USF on Monday. (Photo Courtesy: Jordan McCloud)

By Chris Torello, Spectrum Sports USF Reporter
Last Updated: Monday, July 31, 2017, 11:08 PM EDT

TAMPA -- 

Plant three-star dual-threat quarterback Jordan McCloud announced his commitment to USF via Twitter on Monday afternoon. McCloud became the 13th recruit since Thursday to commit to Charlie Strong and the Bulls.

(The following is a phone interview conducted with McCloud following his commitment to USF. The interview has been transcribed.)

Chris Torello: What made USF the right choice for you?

Jordan McCloud: “It’s close to home, and USF recruited me really hard. I felt like I could go in there and play really early and contribute. That’s what I want. To help the team and win games. Simple. And the goal was to get this commitment done before the start of the season.“

CT: How does USF plan to use you when you get on campus in 2018?

JM: “They see me as a quarterback. The offense that the Bulls run is something that I am excited about and that is a big reason. I wanted to go somewhere where the coaches saw me as a quarterback.”

CT: Do you look at a guy like Quinton Flowers as the quarterback and think “We are around the same height – 5’11”, 6’0” – and if he can do it then so can I?

JM: “Yes sir. Quinton does a lot of things that I do. I think I can come in there and be effective for USF.”

CT: Who were some of the most important coaching relationships for you at USF? ‘

JM: “Definitely (Running Backs Coach) Shaun King and Coach Strong. They told me I have a real good chance to play. They tell me all I have to do is work hard, believe in myself and just trust the process. They have been really great in recruiting me.”

CT: What do you make of the last four days of commitments (13) for USF?

JM: “We are trying to do something pretty special over there. I know the coaches are working hard. They are trying to get some really good players. We all want to get this program back to when the Bulls were the number two team in the nation (back in 2007).”

CT: What did (your brother) Ray Ray (former Sickles star) say when you told him you were committing to USF?

JM: “He was so proud of me. He said I made the right choice with USF.”

CT: Has there been any pressure to go to a big-time program in a Power-5 conference? (Jordan has Power-5 offers from Oregon, Iowa State, Boston College, and Maryland)

JM: “Ray Ray gave me some great advice on all of that. He told me ‘don’t get caught up in all of the schools and scholarships. If you are good you will be found and you will get yourself to the right place.’ I did that, and I have with USF.”

CT: How have you settled in at Plant after transferring from Sickles? How different has this experience been with the Panthers?

JM: “Being at Plant has been really good. I have the opportunity to be under one of the best quarterback coaches in the country – (head) coach (Robert) Weiner. He has taught me so much football this offseason. I never really had that before in my career. The biggest thing has been the mental part of the game. I think we have a lot of talent here and I think we are all working together and working real hard to get to State. We want to win a State Championship. ”

USF now has 26 commitments (24 from Florida) and the 30th-best recruiting class in the nation for 2018, according to Rivals.com. The Bulls also have the second-best recruiting class in the AAC, only behind Houston, according to Rivals and 247 Sports.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

My favorite part:

JM: “Ray Ray gave me some great advice on all of that. He told me ‘don’t get caught up in all of the schools and scholarships. If you are good you will be found and you will get yourself to the right place.’ I did that, and I have with USF.”

I wish all recruits were more aware of this

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

If you're talented it doesn't matter really where you go to college, the NFL scouts will find you. There are a lot of players in the NFL that came from smaller schools. 

If I was a recruit I'd want a chance to compete for a starting spot from day 1. I wouldn't want to sit on the bench for years. 

Edited by Rex Havoc

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  0

Really hope they didn't edit any of his responses because he sounds like he has his head on straight. Hope he sticks around.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

The McClouds come from a great family. Both are solid young men. Glad to have him. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

15 hours ago, usf97 said:

Great first start as Plant QB! Hopefully, some of their other players will want to play with him at USF. 

Final word II: "I thought Jordan MthecCloud did a fantastic job and showed a lot of toughness. He also made some great decisions tonight. Jordan is a cool customer." — Weiner on his senior quarterback, who transferred in the offseason from Sickles

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On 8/2/2017 at 11:08 PM, Rex Havoc said:

If you're talented it doesn't matter really where you go to college, the NFL scouts will find you. There are a lot of players in the NFL that came from smaller schools. 

If I was a recruit I'd want a chance to compete for a starting spot from day 1. I wouldn't want to sit on the bench for years. 

There are a lot of players in the NFL that sat the bench learning for a couple years, too. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, JTrue said:

There are a lot of players in the NFL that sat the bench learning for a couple years, too. 

I said "I wouldn't want to sit on the bench for years." If he wants to go sit that's fine, just personally wouldn't want to do that.