• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf: Joaquin Niemann #1 in the WORLD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,032
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Days Won:  10

I would love to see him wearing some USF gear during the open!

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Ricky the Bull said:

I would love to see him wearing some USF gear during the open!

I expect that his caddy, USF player Cladio "Yayo" Correa, will be wearing some USF gear, just as he did in the US Open sectional qualifier.

DBmrwN7XUAAqoe-.jpg:large

https://www.instagram.com/yayocb/

Edited by Mama_Bull

17USO_01I6423_1
Joaquin Niemann (right), of Chile, the No. 1 amateur in the world, greets reigning Masters champion Sergio Garcia on the practice range. (USGA/Darren Carroll)
A/Darren Carroll)

Looks like back-to-back #SergioGarciaJr champ, Joaquin Niemann, is playing a practice round w. the host himself @TheSergioGarcia @AJGAGolf

Edited by Mama_Bull

Great practice round today with @joaconiemann @McIlroyRory @TheSergioGarcia and @RCabreraBello Ready for the first round of the US Open 

Joaquín Niemann testing his drive in Erin Hills (AFP)
Joaquín Niemann ready for his first US Open:

Google Translation:

Joaquín Niemann ready for his first US Open: "We have to hit rich shots all week"

The national amateur golfer, the best amateur in the world, will play from that Thursday the first major of his career in the field of Erin Hills.

The 18-year-old Chilean golfer Joaquín Niemann will debut this week in a major with his participation in the US Open, which will be played since Thursday on the Erin Hills, Wisconsin tour.

" The experience so far has been incredible and I hope to continue enjoying four more days ," said Niemann, who participates in the first major of his young career after passing the demanding classification, which only managed to surpass less than 1% of the almost 9,500 candidates .

" You have to stay calm and try to hit rich shots all week, " the Chilean told EFE news agency, during his preparation with the main figures of golf worldwide.

Joaco Niemann, first in the world amateur ranking, joins the other five Chileans who have competed in a golf grand slam: Enrique Orellana, Matías Domínguez, Tomás Gana, Martín Ureta and Hugo León.

NiemannJoaquín Niemann will have his first time at the US Open Golf (AFP)

" We are going through a very good generation that wants to demonstrate that there are very good players in South America, " said the young Chilean player, who will join the University of South Florida next year.

The national has played his last practice round in Erin Hills along with the Noririan Rory McIlroy and the Spaniards Rafael Cabrera Bello and Sergio Garcia, brand new winner of the Masters of Augusta.

" I enjoyed Sergio and Rafa very much. They are very nice and I asked them about everything , "said Niemann, who has stayed with the fundamentals for the US Open.

The Chilean will begin his participation in Erin Hills this Thursday from 9:46 Chile with German Stephan Jaeger and Frenchman Joel Stalter.

College teammates join forces at U.S. Open

By: Brentley Romine | June 14, 2017 9:10 pm

ERIN, Wis. – If Maverick McNealy could have Viraat Badhwar hit a few putts for him this week at the U.S. Open, he would. Instead, he’ll just have to settle for his former Stanford teammate reading them.

“I’ve got the best green reader in the world,” McNealy said of Badhwar, who will caddie for McNealy at Erin Hills.

Said Badhwar: “I don’t what I’ve done to earn that title to be honest. … He won’t need my help (on the greens), but hopefully I’ll be there for him if he does.”

The Cardinal pair isn’t alone at Erin Hills. There are several current, former or future tandems of college teammates at this year’s U.S. Open. Incoming South Florida freshman Joaquin Niemann will have future Bulls teammate and fellow Chilean Claudio Correa on his bag. Pepperdine’s Roy Cootes will loop for current teammate Sahith Theegala.

Correa and Niemann made a deal that if Correa caddied during Niemann’s sectional qualifier and Niemann advanced, he’d get to carry Niemann’s bag at Erin Hills. Cootes and Theegala had a similar agreement.

“Going into it, I was like, ‘If we make it, you gotta take me here,’” Cootes said. “And now we’re here.”

Cootes and Theegala, both rising juniors, have known each other since junior golf. They’ve spent the last two years as roommates and are moving into a house with two other friends for their final two years at Pepperdine.

For Theegala, having a familiar face on the bag helps ease the pressure that comes with playing in his first major championship.

“It doesn’t really feel like I’m at a major championship, and it’s because of Roy,” Theegala said.

Cootes said he’s noticed Theegala’s game take off this year. Theegala qualified for and made the cut at the Genesis Open last February, then ended up in a tie for 49th.

“It’s some of the best golf I’ve ever seen him play,” Cootes said.

Niemann, 18, is also playing some of the best golf of his young career. He’s won six straight tournaments, including most recently the Mexican Amateur, and last month supplanted McNealy as the world’s top amateur.

While playing with Rory McIlroy and Sergio Garcia on Wednesday, Niemann’s game caught the eyes of the major winners.

“They like my low driver,” said a grinning Niemann, referencing his straight and piercing ball flight off the tee.

Correa, a rising senior at South Florida, has long been impressed with Niemann and can’t wait to get him to Tampa, Fla., this fall.

“He’s playing so great right now,” Correa said. “He’s going to be a great addition to the team. This week is great because I’m going to learn even more about his game and I can teach him some things that I’ve learned in college so that he’s even more prepared when he gets to campus.”

McNealy and Badhwar have spent more time together than either of the other teammate tandems this week. They’ve been teammates for four years and even partnered for the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball two years ago. This is the first time, though, that Badhwar has caddied for McNealy.

“It’s so fun on so many levels,” McNealy said. “Viraat has been my roommate, teammate and best friend for the last four years. It’s been great to get to know him. If anyone understands my golf game well it’s him. He’s played so many rounds with me. He’s been so helpful with me in terms of helping me with my game and improving. He’s the best putter I know, and I think that’s the big difference between me four years ago and me now is my putting.”

McNealy and Badhwar are so much in sync that “he’s just been handing me clubs and they’ve been correct,” McNealy said.

McNealy and Badhwar are set to walk at graduation this Sunday. McNealy had to finish his last exam on Wednesday morning while Badhwar stopped at the turn during McNealy’s Tuesday practice round to take his final two exams “in a barn.” Literally, it was a barn.

Asked if he’d have to leave McNealy on Sunday should McNealy make the cut, Badhwar quickly responded.

“I really hope I’m not there for graduation,” Badhwar said. “Who wants to sit through that when you could be walking through this?”

Cootes, however, said he’d have to leave Theegala if they make it to Sunday in order to make it back to California for the Cal State Amateur. But what if Theegala is in contention?

“If he’s in the top 10, I might have to stick around, so we’ll see how it goes,” Cootes said. “You know, it’s not the golf course that fits his game the best, but we’re going to love it either way and have so much fun doing it.”

Nothing like experiencing your first U.S. Open with your best ‘mate.

http://golfweek.com/2017/06/14/us-open-2017-amateur-college-teammates/

19120558_1398215606928102_7676020037366317056_n.jpg

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Even par thru 2. 

Joaco is +1 through 11 holes.

He made his first birdie of the day on the 1st hole (par 5 613 yards.)

The official US Open leaderboard seems to update faster than the PGA:

http://www.usopen.com/content/us-open/scoring.html