• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf: Joaquin Niemann #1 in the WORLD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  167
  • Days Won:  0

Most golfers go to college because it offers special entries into tournaments for those who win championships.

Staying on the tour is difficult but getting on tour is nearly impossible. Tiger won both the Amateur and the college championships and when he graduated he received 7 exemptions into tournaments at the end of the year and 7 more at the beginning of the next year. Even if he hadn't won, if he had enough high finishes, he would have received exempt status when they calculated the monies at the first reshuffle.

Ty Tryon is was the only person to qualify for the tour while still in college. He missed his final year, and it was the worst thing for him.

There was another kid I can't remember his name (but he was the one who sued his dad because his dad made him sign a contract in high school) who did not go to college and did fine. Either way, no matter how good you are, there are no signing bonuses in golf, unless you have a titlest deal like Tiger, and a college education is very important.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

30 minutes ago, keith S said:

There was another kid I can't remember his name (but he was the one who sued his dad because his dad made him sign a contract in high school) who did not go to college and did fine. Either way, no matter how good you are, there are no signing bonuses in golf, unless you have a titlest deal like Tiger, and a college education is very important.

Sean O'Hair:

"A featured article by Steve Elling in the January 21, 2005 Golf World alleged:

Marc O'Hair, 52, signed management contracts with his son, says he invested $2 million in his boy's professional future and subjected Sean to a physical and psychological regimen that would make most drill sergeants blush. Sean broke free in 2002 and has not spoken to his father since a perfunctory greeting at Sean's wedding more than two years ago.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_O'Hair

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  167
  • Days Won:  0

That's right. When my son was in high school, Bill Tryon had a match set up every weekend there wasn't a tournament with Sean, Ty, my son a 5 other local boys and both Bill and Sean's dad told me I was crazy making my sons go to college.

By the way, the boy from Ole Miss that just won the national college championship got an exemption to last weeks PGA tournament and finished 3rd or 4th. By winning the National collegiate, he got 7 exemptions from PGA tournaments. There is no guarantee, but the sponsors want to see the new champion.

My son's played at Ole Miss with the coach and assistant coach. There are telling my son's that the young man is coming back next year, and that's probably a mistake. He had a chance to get a one million dollar sponsorship and 7 exemptions this year, and 7 next. That's enough to keep you in the game for a while.

Edited by keith S

29 minutes ago, keith S said:

That's right. When my son was in high school, Bill Tryon had a match set up every weekend there wasn't a tournament with Sean, Ty, my son a 5 other local boys and both Bill and Sean's dad told me I was crazy making my sons go to college.

By the way, the boy from Ole Miss that just won the national college championship got an exemption to last weeks PGA tournament and finished 3rd or 4th. By winning the National collegiate, he got 7 exemptions from PGA tournaments. There is no guarantee, but the sponsors want to see the new champion.

My son's played at Ole Miss with the coach and assistant coach. There are telling my son's that the young man is coming back next year, and that's probably a mistake. He had a chance to get a one million dollar sponsorship and 7 exemptions this year, and 7 next. That's enough to keep you in the game for a while.

The current Ole Miss golf coach is our former USF golf coach. That was his college alma mater and took the job there three years ago.

His current player, Braden Thornberry finished T4 yesterday at the PGA FedEx St Jude Classic. He would have earned about $ 250,000, had he been a professional. He also would have received an exemption into the next regular PGA event, based on a top 10 finish, but because he is still an amateur he doesn't get that benefit. He also does not receive any FedEx points. The PGA tour is protecting their own.

Since he has already won the individual NCAA title, and has shown he can compete with the best players, I agree that he would probably be smart to turn professional now and reap the rewards.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Sean O'Hair:

"A featured article by Steve Elling in the January 21, 2005 Golf World alleged:

Marc O'Hair, 52, signed management contracts with his son, says he invested $2 million in his boy's professional future and subjected Sean to a physical and psychological regimen that would make most drill sergeants blush. Sean broke free in 2002 and has not spoken to his father since a perfunctory greeting at Sean's wedding more than two years ago.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_O'Hair

How many times do we see this story. Amazing how parents can't let a kid breath without taking total control. There is a time to let go. 

It is currently raining at the US Open, but it is expected to stop shortly. Niemann will be playing in a practice round today with former #1 Jason Day and Bryson DeChambeau.

Niemann is listed at 1000/1 odds to win.

https://www.stanjames.com/UK/802/betting#bo-navigation=159535.2,159536.2,202631.2,214251.2,484852.2&action=market-group-list&tab=alltournaments

Ther are 14 amateurs in the 156 player field.

Last year, only one amateur, Jon Rahm, made the cut.

WAGR #1 Niemann and WAGR #2 Maverick McNealy, who is also playing in the US Open, are battling it out to see who will be WAGR #1 at the conclusion of the US Amateur on August 20th. The player who is ahead at that time will receive The Mark H McCormack Medal and gain entry to both the 2018 US Open and the 2018 Open Championship.

http://www.wagr.com/en/Mens-Ranking.aspx

Sleepers: U.S. Open

June 13, 2017
By Rob Bolton, PGATOUR.COM 

Joaquin Niemann … His résumé is the stuff of hyperbole, but you need to be familiar with it. Just 18 years of age, he's already the world's top-ranked amateur. To put that into some perspective, he kicked aside all-everything Maverick McNealy of Stanford for the honor in April, while recent NCAA individual champion Braden Thornberry ranked 16th prior to his T4 at the FedEx St. Jude Classic. Niemann arrived at Erin Hills having won his last five competitions by a respective nine, six, eight, four and eight strokes. That blistering streak was sparked by a win in a professional competition in his native Chile, which was already his second pro victory of 2017. His run of wins included titles at Innisbrook's Copperhead Course (host of the Valspar Championship) and at the Mexican International Amateur this past Sunday, which is where he traveled after surviving a playoff in the U.S. Open sectional qualifier the previous Monday. Committed to the University of South Florida this fall, he opened the year with a playoff loss at the Latin America Amateur Championship.

Joaco is certainly getting a chance to play with some great playing partners.

Wednesday practice round:
8:12 AM
Joaquin Niemann (a)
Rory McIlroy
Sergio Garcia
Rafa Cabrera Bello

1. The 14 amateurs in the field competing for the #USOpen came together for dinner last night with Jerry Pate.

DCOUt-4XoAAoCAh.jpg

Some golf pundits are expecting Joaco to do well at the US Open:

10. Joaquin Niemann — Here’s the bombshell of the week. An 18-year-old kid from Chile who’s scheduled to be a freshman at the University of South Florida this fall is going make the biggest splash. I walked nine holes with him on Monday, and did more than just hold his own with a pro.