• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf: Joaquin Niemann #1 in the WORLD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

20 minutes ago, Boomer said:

So I know nothing about college golf.  How does a #1-in-the-world golfer come to USF (or any college) and be coached by someone other than who has coached him up to this point?

In my mind, I imagine for bigger sports like baseball, basketball, and football that universities have the equipment/facilities/coaches who are truly a higher level than the little league/AAU resources.  But for golf, I wonder how much they really can improve a guy like this.  I know he said that he believes his future involves college golf before turning pro, but why?  Does someone from USF start working with him on his swing like they work on a quarterback throwing motion, or does the golfer keep that relationship with his current coach?

Also, there's probably a good chance he won't be here more than a year or two before he decides he's ready to turn pro. Kid is the real deal.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Perhaps, someone else here can better answer your question.

Most of the top professional players attended college, before turning professional. Even Tiger Woods went to Stanford for three years.

I'm sure there are various reasons for doing so and not all of them are golf related.

I expect that a top amateur like Niemann just needs some fine tuning on the various aspects of his game, to get even better. 

Everybody has their strenghts and weaknesses.

He probably also needs some training to develop his body and mind.

The USF coach  can point out what he needs to work on to achieve his maximum potential and will help him to do that.

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,632
  • Days Won:  3

Thanks for the responses!

Claudio Correa and Joaquin Niemann are in Mexico playing in their national amateur tournament.

They are paired up in the team competition representing Chile, as well as playing for individual honors.

Leaderboard: https://www.ghintpp.com/fmg/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=69

Former USF golfer Aksel Olsen is playing on the European Challenge Tour for the KPMG Trophy and is T2 after the first round.

Leaderboard: https://www.europeantour.com/en/challengetour/tournaments/2017/kpmg-trophy/#leaderboard

Since USF sports have now concluded, I figure some here might be interested. 

Edited by Mama_Bull
  • Upvote 1

Joaquin Niemann won the Mexico Amateur Championship by 8 strokes (-13).

https://www.ghintpp.com/fmg/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=69 

His team, representing Chile, finished in second place. 

This is US Open week. Pairings and tee times for the first two rounds have already been posted:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/2017-us-open-round-1-and-round-2-tee-times/?cid=rr_editorial_p4

Fantasy golf rankings, sleepers: 2017 U.S. Open at Erin Hill

...Joaquin Niemann: World’s top-ranked amateur is the real deal. He rarely misses fairways. If he can handle his nerves and make putts, he’ll make the cut at the very least.

http://golfweek.com/2017/06/09/fantasy-golf-rankings-sleepers-2017-u-s-open-at-erin-hills/

Edited by Mama_Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know if he will use it but the IMG golf academy is 45 minutes away from USF in Bradenton. World class facilities and coaches. 

32 minutes ago, SpikeBull said:

I don't know if he will use it but the IMG golf academy is 45 minutes away from USF in Bradenton. World class facilities and coaches. 

I'm sure he is aware of them.

He won both the 2015 and 2016 IMG Academy Junior World Championships:

"The Santiago resident counted the IMG Junior World Championship among those [6] victories. He took that championship in July, successfully defending the title he won 12 months earlier." 

http://www.wagr.com/en/Ranking/Player.aspx?playerid=12017&ismens=True

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

16 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Fantasy golf rankings, sleepers: 2017 U.S. Open at Erin Hill

...Joaquin Niemann: World’s top-ranked amateur is the real deal. He rarely misses fairways. If he can handle his nerves and make putts, he’ll make the cut at the very least.

http://golfweek.com/2017/06/09/fantasy-golf-rankings-sleepers-2017-u-s-open-at-erin-hills/

It would be very fitting of USF's luck if Niemann does very well at the US Open then decides to go pro and never makes it to campus...

30 minutes ago, TExpress said:

It would be very fitting of USF's luck if Niemann does very well at the US Open then decides to go pro and never makes it to campus...

I hear you.

However, I really don't think that would happen, in HIS case.

From everything I've read, he appears to be very level headed and is looking forward to attending USF.

Current USF golfer Claudio Correa will once again be caddying for him this week. They will be rooming together at USF. I don't know whether USF men's golf coach Steve Bradley will be attending. He was with them last week at the US Open sectional.

Steve Bradley @stevbra
Incoming freshmen @joaconiemann wins Mexican Am by 8 shots. Last 6 finishes: 1st (4 times) & 2nd (twice). Playing in @usopengolf

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

6 hours ago, TExpress said:

I think the majority of golfers go to college rather than straight to the pros.  I'm not sure why I think that, but if anyone would go straight to the pros it would have been Tiger, so there is precendent.