• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Judge Margaret Taylor to Charlie Strong on the team: " It's fairly clear you do not have control"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Judge and USF football coach she chastised have 'positive' meeting at Tampa courthouse

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:28pm

TAMPA — A Hillsborough judge made news last week when she publicly blasted University of South Florida football coach Charlie Strong after one of his players was charged with sexual battery.

But this week, relations were decidedly better between Judge Margaret Taylor and Coach Strong when the two had a cordial meeting at the courthouse Tuesday.

"It was a very positive conversation," reported Chief Judge Ron Ficarrotta, who met Strong for coffee and asked if he would be willing to meet with the judge who gave him the dressing-down. Strong agreed, and the two spoke for about ten minutes in the chief judge's chambers.

"I think Coach Strong was able to educate Judge Taylor on some of the issues," Ficarrotta said. "It went very well."

In courtroom video gone viral, Judge Taylor had advised the new USF coach to "think long and hard" about the job "before any other members of this community have to suffer at the hands of one of your players." At the time, Taylor was deciding bail for defensive end LaDarrius Jackson, 22, who is charged with the sexual battery and false imprisonment of a woman he knew in her dorm room. This week he was charged with the sexual battery of another woman in March.

First the judge ripped into Jackson, saying if the allegations were true, his behavior was "outrageous" and she was "embarrassed and ashamed" to be a USF graduate.

Then she went after the coach, who was not in court, noting another Bulls player was recently charged in a road rage incident and questioned whether the coach had control of his team.

Her stinging rebuke made USA Today and ESPN. In the fallout, some questioned her impartiality in a case that hadn't yet gone to trial, while others said her comments were not in line with Strong's record for discipline. The judge voluntarily removed herself from the case.

Before the meeting Tuesday, the chief judge gave Coach Strong a tour of the courthouse, where he shook hands with fans in the hallways and sat in on drug court.

Neither the coach nor the judge could be reached for comment Wednesday regarding the rapprochement. But Brian Siegrist, associate director for communication for USF athletics, called it "a very good meeting on both sides. And they both left with a good understanding."

"I know he appreciated the judge reaching out to him," Siegrist said.

Sue Carlton can be reached at carlton@tampabay.com.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/judge-and-usf-football-coach-she-chastised-have-positive-meeting-at-tampa/2323470

If he didn't leave with a new season ticket holder, it was a wasted meeting ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If he didn't leave with a new season ticket holder, it was a wasted meeting ...

I believe he may of. She seems cool now. I guess we can remove her from the hate list. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

18 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

I believe he may of. She seems cool now. I guess we can remove her from the hate list. 

She runs her dumb yapper like she did, she's always on the list.  She's only kissing ass because everyone piled on her.  Like getting caught and saying "sorry"when the truth is you're only sorry you got caught.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

She runs her dumb yapper like she did, she's always on the list.  She's only kissing ass because everyone piled on her.  Like getting caught and saying "sorry"when the truth is you're only sorry you got caught.

Hopefully she gives a huge donation to USF athletics 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The Chief Judge, Ron Ficarrotta, must have read the riot act to her. LOL

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

59 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

But you put on quite a show
You really had me goin'

7 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

The Chief Judge, Ron Ficarrotta, must have read the riot act to her. LOL

He is a good guy. He let me off easy with a warning back in the day for being caught in Ybor underage drinking. He just told me he better not see me again in his courtroom. I was very thankful. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

This is all part of Vinik's marketing plan.  Very nicely done Mr. Vinik!  More press for USF = more ticket sales!

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

It's obvious that the meeting was not her idea but the chief judge's.  Hopefully we'll find out more about what was said in the meeting, but if she apologized to him or in any way took anything back from what she said, she needs to do so with a public statement at this point - not in a private meeting.

Some will say let it go, but in my book, she doesn't get off this easy.

She stays on the list for now.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

"I think Coach Strong was able to educate Judge Taylor on some of the issues,"

Glad to see Coach Strong was the one doing the educating.