• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan is now on the clock

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

No matter what else an AD does, ultimately, they are judged by their coaching hires. If the coach performs, the AD gets rewarded. If the coach fails, they're gone. Winning teams help fundraising-a virtuous circle. 

Harlan gets one mulligan at MBB, even with how poorly Antigua did. 

Now the revenue sports hires are all his. Charlie Strong is his hire. Brian Gregory is his hire. If they succeed Harlan has a good shot at getting a P5 call up or at least a raise here. If Strong fails, he is gone. If Gregory can't resuscitate this program within 5 years (I feel that's a reasonable period given the poor state of the program), it's hard to see Harlan getting an extension if Strong doesn't at least tread water football wise. 

I want Harlan to succeed because that means that USF athletics has done well, but there's a lot of work to get to that point-fundraising must do well. The teams must do well. I don't know how well Harlan is doing at building bridges. 

Is anyone concerned about the possibility of Strong failing? Or having a disappointing season? 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Of all that's going on in the revenue sports, Charlie Strong is the least of my worries.  He's set up for success this year as long as he doesn't get cute with the offense, and that will only help successive recruiting efforts in football.

I'm highly skeptical of Gregory, though, but definitely holding out hope that he can bring the program back from the depths. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

34 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

No matter what else an AD does, ultimately, they are judged by their coaching hires. If the coach performs, the AD gets rewarded. If the coach fails, they're gone. Winning teams help fundraising-a virtuous circle. 

Harlan gets one mulligan at MBB, even with how poorly Antigua did. 

Now the revenue sports hires are all his. Charlie Strong is his hire. Brian Gregory is his hire. If they succeed Harlan has a good shot at getting a P5 call up or at least a raise here. If Strong fails, he is gone. If Gregory can't resuscitate this program within 5 years (I feel that's a reasonable period given the poor state of the program), it's hard to see Harlan getting an extension if Strong doesn't at least tread water football wise. 

I want Harlan to succeed because that means that USF athletics has done well, but there's a lot of work to get to that point-fundraising must do well. The teams must do well. I don't know how well Harlan is doing at building bridges. 

Is anyone concerned about the possibility of Strong failing? Or having a disappointing season? 

To some, anything less than 14-0 is a disappointment next year. Personally, I think playing for the conference championship is a reasonable goal.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

If Strong can keep recruiting and pull some local talent I think he will be fine. Too many people say how good of a coach he is.  I don't have concern for Strong.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

I agree on Strong defining him but less so on any of the basketballl hires. Kingston is looking like a good hire and waiting until the end of the season in 2015 to see if Willie could turn it around; even after they butted heads was a great move. At this point MBB is barely a blip on my radar when it comes to USF teams. As long as we continue to progress in football and Harlan's hires in other sports continue to trend upwards he has my support. 

Edited by 206BULL

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

As to all the chatter of Who's on the Clock, I don't care.

Lets see here:

I'm just happy being a Bull at the moment.

Our Football is doing well.

Our Ladies Basketball is doing well.

Our Baseball is doing well.

Our Softball is doing well.

Our Golf is doing well.

Our Tennis is doing well.

Our Sailing is doing well.

Our Hockey is doing well.

Our Men's Basketball is being addressed and hopefully fixed.

Life is good being a Bull.

Haters gonna hate. I say drive on Bulls, drive on. :iconic_u_black:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

To some, anything less than 14-0 is a disappointment next year. Personally, I think playing for the conference championship is a reasonable goal.

15-0

You forgot that winning the NC takes TWO bowl games, not just one.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

13 minutes ago, charsibb said:

15-0

No, I just remembered that we're not playing in either of those two games no matter what our record is.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

No, I just remembered that we're not playing in either of those two games no matter what our record is.

Guess we'll only find that out if we go 13-0!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

18 minutes ago, charsibb said:

15-0

I find the mind very fascinating that believes USF has a shot at the NC game in football, yet believes our baseball coach mailed it in when he didn't blow up the starting rotation for one big in-state game in the middle of the week.  

• Upvote 3