• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rubber Game vs. Iowa, noon eastern, In-game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, JoeB said:

Valdes is the midweek starter.  Not throwing in the towel, but his turn to pitch.  FSU will be a test no matter who is on the mound.  I have a feeling we'll see 4 or 5 pitchers in this game.

This was my point. If he doesn't give us the best chance to beat FSU, why simply stick with a rotation? Who do we have on the staff that gives us the best odds against the Noles?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

30 minutes ago, charsibb said:

This was my point. If he doesn't give us the best chance to beat FSU, why simply stick with a rotation? Who do we have on the staff that gives us the best odds against the Noles?

It is pretty standard to stick with your rotation in college baseball.  There is a Friday night, Sat night and Sunday starter and then a mixed bag for during the week.  Although it would be nice to see our best vs their best pitchers, you don't see that happen during the week. What this will show you is the difference in depth at pitching, their #4 vs ours.  Last season our Friday night guy got moved down in the rotation - to Sat or Sun - because he wasn't pitching well.  But usually you throw your best on Friday.  

Taking 1 against FSU on the road should be more important than 2-1 over Iowa at home. No?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

No. Because it wouldn't just be Iowa, it would screw up the following weekend's rotation too. One midweek game against FSU means nothing in the big picture of getting a young team settled and on the right track for the season. 

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, JTrue said:

No. Because it wouldn't just be Iowa, it would screw up the following weekend's rotation too. One midweek game against FSU means nothing in the big picture of getting a young team settled and on the right track for the season. 

Not to mention we had a few question marks before the weekend.  We didn't know how McClanahan would fare and we also didn't know about Stryzelecki.  We had our opinions on them, but neither had pitched an inning at this level before.  Its going to come down to hitting.  If we hit, we'll be in the game versus FSU.  If not, we'll lose by 10. 

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I'll take your word for it, but it just seems to me that 1-0 against FSU and 1-2 against Iowa is better for us than 0-1 and 2-1

FSU is more important in terms of local pride than Iowa is.

Edit: Especially since FSU is now apparently considered #2 in the country :(

http://www.gousfbulls.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211490257

So I'm back to my original conclusion that Coach thinks he's going to lose anyway. so it really doesn't matter who starts...

Edited by charsibb

5 minutes ago, charsibb said:

I'll take your word for it, but it just seems to me that 1-0 against FSU and 1-2 against Iowa is better for us than 0-1 and 2-1

So I'm back to my original conclusion that Coach thinks he's going to lose anyway. so it really doesn't matter who starts...

And that conclusion has those of us who even marginally follow college baseball shaking our heads.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

44 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And that conclusion has those of us who even marginally follow college baseball shaking our heads.

Count me in on that.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, charsibb said:

In the grand scheme of things it isn't. This time of year is all about developing players and a rhythm.  Don't think he wants to send out any of the weekend pitchers out on short rest especially this time of the year. Hope to meet with CMK in the next few weeks but have spoken with him a bit already.  He's concerned about the kids coming off surgery, finding a rotation in the bullpen, etc.  And the biggest thing is to be ready for conference play.

You absolutely set up a rotation. That's baseball. The goal is to win many games, not one game. Going by Charsibb's thought process, we shouldn't start Merrell in any games, we should keep him on the bench so that we can pinch hit him when a moment comes up where he could hit with a couple guys on base since he's our best hitter. We're wasting him by letting him lead off and knowing he might not ever get to hit in a clutch situation. If we start Phoenix against FSU, he's out last weekend and this coming weekend. We have to start McClanahan in the season opener in his first collegiate game coming off of Tommy John surgery. The other option is starting Strzelecki Friday, our #3 to open the season, not to mention another kid coming off of surgery, then McClanahan, then Valdes on Sunday? Phoenix throws against FSU, then what? We throw McClanahan Friday, Strzelecki Saturday, and then pluck a no-name out of the hat for Sunday's game so we can reset our rotation for the rest of the season and risk losing to Miami Ohio for the chance of maybe giving ourselves a better chance against FSU? You don't throw two series out of whack just for a mid-week matchup.

Edited by JTrue