• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB vs UCONN

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

18 hours ago, JoeB said:

It all went downhill after Bibby's TV appearance.  In what was a close game it turned out to be a blowout.  Not enough horses.

UConn was also playing with a short bench, so they were tired as well. We just don't have enough quality horses. I do see a difference in how the team is playing offensively. They seem to be running set calls and plays. USF MBB has actually been playing better under Bartow, it's just not translating into wins. Bartow has inherited a really bare cupboard. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

15 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Bartow will not get the HC job.

Link?  or just an opinion?  People in the Green and Gold room seem to like him.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

I was impressed with CMB when I met him at a practice session and he seems to run a very structured and strict practice.  Lots of emphasis on defense, which is something we haven't seen much of in recent years.

What I'm more impressed with his how the team seems to be playing with more intensity and purpose.  The UConn game was actually entertaining and you felt that we actually had a chance.   As mentioned, we just didn't have the bench (even less so than UConn) to be able to complete the comeback.

Unless we are able to make a 'home run' type of hire, I would love to see what CMB can do with more time to bring in and develop players.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

He may be likable but I think Harlan needs to hit big on this next hire. Have a hard time seeing Bartow get the job if doesn't win a game.

Someone called him likable?  Link?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

16 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

He may be likable but I think Harlan needs to hit big on this next hire. Have a hard time seeing Bartow get the job if doesn't win a game.

I don't think it's even about winning a game with this crew.  It's about demonstrating competence.  Demonstrating a plan to build a program that will attract players.  Illustrating a vision and how to get there.  Dragging in the next million dollar baby is something this program does not need right now.  

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don't think it's even about winning a game with this crew.  It's about demonstrating competence.  Demonstrating a plan to build a program that will attract players.  Illustrating a vision and how to get there.  Dragging in the next million dollar baby is something this program does not need right now.  

I agree with this but here is my take. If Bartow is able to keep the entire current roster we have, which is very young and seems to like him, then we should keep him unless we can get a home run hire. I'm just afraid that we will bring in a new coach that is about as good as Bartow no all of our current players will leave and we will be left in another bare cupboard situation.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Agreed.  Honestly, we don't need a home run hire. That would be more disarray on an expensive gamble.  

And I don't even like Bartow...still despise him from his UAfB days, but I am growing out of it.   :D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

Dragging in the next million dollar baby is something this program does not need right now.  

We need a billion dollar baby, one who would bring instant credibility and, along with that, high profile recruits to here ... of which there's only a handful, maybe 2 handfuls) and that ain't happening. Bring whoever in and the most important thing to give him is time. Only a few really give a **** about the program right now so it's not like you're risking a ton of support ...

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, brybull1970 said:

Reading this thread saddens me to see how far some of you have lowered the bar for this program. Likable is enough? Retaining players makes you qualified? We don't need a home run hire?

I understand that the program will not be turned around overnight but we need to hire someone who can actually coach basketball, which doesn't seem to be a requirement based on this thread.

You're saying Bartow can't coach? I've definitely seen a lot of improvement in this team since Antigua left. You just seem to set the bar way too high expecting greatness. We may be setting the bar to low, but you have been setting it way too high since Antigua got here.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

17 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Reading this thread saddens me to see how far some of you have lowered the bar for this program. Likable is enough? Retaining players makes you qualified? We don't need a home run hire?

Retaining players is obviously not a qualification but it sure as hell is a want for those of us who don't want another COA scenario ... and by your last question, I assume you think we do need a home run hire so what's your definition of  home run hire for us?