• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heisman Campaign or 2018 QB?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,638
  • Days Won:  3

Interested to see how Strong chooses to approach the quarterback role next year.  Try to push for a Heisman nomination for Flowers by leaving him in the game long enough to put up the big numbers, or develop the QB that will be at the helm the next season. 

Kean did not get very many reps last year thanks to the defense keeping things tight, and if there's not much improvement, Strong may not have the choice to take QF out.

Also wonder if a QF Heisman push had any influence in Mack figuring now was time to leave  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

For the latter comment, you crazy--it's about dreams & dollars.

But the QB rotation is probably not a big thinking area for CCS. He's got a proven winner, so I'm sure it will be a continuation of last year's strategy--he'll pull him if we get a "comfortable" lead, whatever that is.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Good question. If QF improves as much this off season as he did last off season we might see some Lamar Jackson type games early in the year. I think the defense will be a lot better next year, so some wide margin victories. Seems like there were a couple games where Lamar Jackson barely played the second half.

Agree with brybull1970 on Mack.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

He will want to groom a guy that's so important.   Charlie Strong having great success his first year with flowers only to falter his next will reflect poorly on coaching.   Strong will have to trust Gilbert and King on just how much live game grooming will be necessary because Strong will have his hands full revamping the defense.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,638

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

The running back position is pretty deep this year in the NFL draft. I'd imagine Mack's decision has more to do about his career path than any accolades QF may receive.

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

For the latter comment, you crazy--it's about dreams & dollars.

But the QB rotation is probably not a big thinking area for CCS. He's got a proven winner, so I'm sure it will be a continuation of last year's strategy--he'll pull him if we get a "comfortable" lead, whatever that is.

Yes - the running backs are deep, and it is about dreams & dollars, but it's also about timing.  I'm suggesting that just perhaps he's thinking his role is going to get diminished by Strong's attempt to get recognition (aka publicity) for Flowers and his program.  Mack may also see a little bit of reduced time on the field from hopefully being able to put back ups in the last quarter of the games. 

Timing.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

If he has undefeated season goals he's also going to want to run up scores, not just QF's stats. Still should get 4-6 quarters minimum for backup and keep running the offense in that time. 

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Boomer said:

Interested to see how Strong chooses to approach the quarterback role next year.  Try to push for a Heisman nomination for Flowers by leaving him in the game long enough to put up the big numbers, or develop the QB that will be at the helm the next season. 

Kean did not get very many reps last year thanks to the defense keeping things tight, and if there's not much improvement, Strong may not have the choice to take QF out.

Also wonder if a QF Heisman push had any influence in Mack figuring now was time to leave  

We should blow out SJST, Stonybrook and UMass. Plenty of time for backups to play. We need to win a conf. championship for the first time and its going to depend on how much the defense improves. If defense is good and we are up by 21 in middle of the fourth qtr, put in the backups. Otherwise this defense can't be trusted to hold the lead and we need to keep QF in the game. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610

2 hours ago, Atlanta Bull said:

We should blow out SJST, Stonybrook and UMass. Plenty of time for backups to play. We need to win a conf. championship for the first time and its going to depend on how much the defense improves. If defense is good and we are up by 21 in middle of the fourth qtr, put in the backups. Otherwise this defense can't be trusted to hold the lead and we need to keep QF in the game. 

Curious to see if Gilbert favors Kean or Oladokun as QB2. Heard Chris O killed it on the scout team and in practice. You might see both sharing time in garbage time, if the games go as expected. 

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

An interesting take is that if I am Q, I am looking at CCS and thinking that he has actually groomed a QB to go to the next level in TB. 

If CCS is as good of a coach as I think he is, he knows he needs to make a splash at USF which could in fact be his last stop. Make a big enough splash get into a P5 and CCS stays. 

Q can be part of this splash. Due to circumstance out of Q's and CCS's control I don't think he will be able to get the Heisman but he should be sitting in  the front row, get lots of attention and be a serious contender. Would be curious who his competition might be cuz he has a legit shot.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

My guess is that Strong will just want to win.  If that means keeping QF on the field then that is what he will do.