• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

12 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Wasn't aware that Idaho decided to go to the FCS, an almost unprecedented move according to the author. Pretty sure we'll be seeing more of this eventually.....

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/18119772/bobby-paul-petrino-opposite-ends-college-football-spectrum

Excellent read!

Two major stand outs:

"For years, Louisville had been a commuter school, so the wealthy businessmen and lawyers with U of L degrees had mostly grown up in town. They were locals who stayed local, creating a rich donor base. "

^^What we needed

Since the WAC's Brigham Young in 1984, no school from outside a current Power 5 conference has won a national title. So if they have no chance of winning, why invest so much in the effort?

^^Where we are .... I'm telling you all -- 8 team playoff (conf champs for p5; access spot for g5; and two wild card). Otherwise, the bottom half (g5) will NEVER make the playoffs

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Before you get hammered, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that P5 gets.

Blatantly obvious right!?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,706
  • Days Won:  424

11 hours ago, SpeedBull said:

Sometimes it's OK to be a big fish in a small pond. Watch the D2 playoffs. It's fun. It gives fans a reason to go to the games. There is such an obsession on this board with "getting into the P5". 

I say, for what?? There is such hypocrisy and backwards thinking amongst so many on TheBullsPen. We may NEVER, EVER compete with the big boys on a regular basis. It's OK. There is such an inherent inferiority complex.

What is the obsession with the P5? What is the rush to get our heads kicked in on bigger stages.

Build an OCS, generate a real following. Build REAL momentum and maybe, just maybe we can EARN a seat at the big boy table.

Anyone that thinks the P5 is clamoring for USF in its current state, playing at the RAY JAY to a half packed house is delusional. 

I agree completely with obsession with getting into the p5 .... but, to me, it's no different than the obsession for an ocs. Stop freaking worrying about where they play, physically and level wise, and just embrace USF football for USF football. Support it as much as you financially can, go to games, if you can, have a great time tailgating with other Bulls fans then go in and watch your Bulls play.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I agree completely with obsession with getting into the p5 .... but, to me, it's no different than the obsession for an ocs. Stop freaking worrying about where they play, physically and level wise, and just embrace USF football for USF football. Support it as much as you financially can, go to games, if you can, have a great time tailgating with other Bulls fans then go in and watch your Bulls play.

100% this.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

14 hours ago, SpeedBull said:

Sometimes it's OK to be a big fish in a small pond. Watch the D2 playoffs. It's fun. It gives fans a reason to go to the games. There is such an obsession on this board with "getting into the P5". 

I say, for what?? There is such hypocrisy and backwards thinking amongst so many on TheBullsPen. We may NEVER, EVER compete with the big boys on a regular basis. It's OK. There is such an inherent inferiority complex.

What is the obsession with the P5? What is the rush to get our heads kicked in on bigger stages.

Build an OCS, generate a real following. Build REAL momentum and maybe, just maybe we can EARN a seat at the big boy table.

Anyone that thinks the P5 is clamoring for USF in its current state, playing at the RAY JAY to a half packed house is delusional. 

LOL.  Buying into the P5 media superiority myth....

We would not get heads kicked in.  Did we get our heads kicked in for 10 years in a power conference (Big East)?

Recruiting would improve and we would compete and win at any level. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

19 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not too much, this was the perfect storm. The biggest problem they have is location. If the MWC has no interest then there is no place else to turn. Unrelated,  UAB will be back in business next year. 

Very true on location...we are not in dire straights, but the chasm is widening for many programs, and I believe others will fall in the near future.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, JupiterBull said:

Very true on location...we are not in dire straights, but the chasm is widening for many programs, and I believe others will fall in the near future.

You are  definitely correct. I do think we are  fortunate to be in the AAC if we are not going to be in the P5 though. This conference can survive and win more consistently than the the other G5 schools. Just got to keep doing what we do as long as we can and hopefully something opens up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

LOL.  Buying into the P5 media superiority myth....

We would not get heads kicked in.  Did we get our heads kicked in for 10 years in a power conference (Big East)?

Recruiting would improve and we would compete and win at any level. 

THIS...as the divide widens, it'll be tougher for G5 teams to recruit against P5.  That said, they can only take so many players, so I'm not sure how much worse our recruiting disadvantage gets.  Yet, here we are, 10-2 with Taggart, now Strong, and our class is in the 70-80 range currently.  IIRC, Leavitt scored a Top 25 class...in this era, not sure Strong can break top 40.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

THIS...as the divide widens, it'll be tougher for G5 teams to recruit against P5.  That said, they can only take so many players, so I'm not sure how much worse our recruiting disadvantage gets.  Yet, here we are, 10-2 with Taggart, now Strong, and our class is in the 70-80 range currently.  IIRC, Leavitt scored a Top 25 class...in this era, not sure Strong can break top 40.

I get your point here but these programs can't get all of the recruits and many kids don't want to leave their state which further means G6 schools can land 3 stars. Further, G5 schools can offer immediate playing time. 

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I get your point here but these programs can't get all of the recruits and many kids don't want to leave their state which further means G6 schools can land 3 stars. Further, G5 schools can offer immediate playing time. 

I think of most team, USF, UCF and Houston are positioned to success at G5, but hope we still make the jump.  Other teams like Cincy, Uconn and Memphis have other good sports, and decent markets, and should be ok. 

I'm really excited to see how we do under Strong (and of course, before then, in our bowl game).