• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lane Kiffin pushing ticket sales

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I have no problem with what FAU is doing. They are going all in and they have to. 

Yeah and if Lane can create a culture and a system that works for them it doesn't matter when he leaves; other up and coming coaches may see gaining success at any level of FBS will get them a call to a larger job. And no easier to do that than Florida or Texas.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Bourbon Bull said:

I think he will recruit the same way USF has always recruited.  Come here and be part of building something.  Pretty sure FAU beat USF a couple of years ago.  And they almost beat us years ago down at their place.  Don't remember which running back it was for us but he saved our sorry butts down there.  Pretty sure that was in the Leavitt years - not the Skip years.

Looked back and it was actually 2007, the week after the big WV win at home and it was Ben Williams.  

And the loss to FAU was the Taggart years, 2013, although every loss he endured was blamed on Holtz.

Surely you can concede that Holtz left this program in far worse shape than when he arrived and Taggart is leaving it in far better shape than when he took over,  right?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Surely you can concede that Holtz left this program in far worse shape than when he arrived and Taggart is leaving it in far better shape than when he took over,  right?

There is no question athletically.  But we have soft spots for him and his wife. We had lunch with them between the Memphis and SMU games. He was told to get the grades and that APR thing going in the right direction and thought it was a long term project.  I believe him.  And I believe that had he stayed we would be in good shape, definitely not wallowing in the 3 or 4 win range. He had been recruiting Rodney Adams and he seems to be able to get skill positions at La Tech.  Defense still seems to be a bug a boo though.  They were great on D but then loss Manny Diaz as D coordinator and that hurt a lot.  He loves coaching offense. You can see his eyes light up when he talks about designing plays. I'll never convince the haters and the record is what it is.  We just feel there were circumstances that prevented him from getting every athlete he coveted.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

bb- i feel the same way about holtz and wife.the move to replace him was the right move for usf.It worked out for holtz also

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

16 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

We just feel there were circumstances that prevented him from getting every athlete he coveted.

Tee time. :D

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

21 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

There is no question athletically.  But we have soft spots for him and his wife. We had lunch with them between the Memphis and SMU games. He was told to get the grades and that APR thing going in the right direction and thought it was a long term project.  I believe him.  And I believe that had he stayed we would be in good shape, definitely not wallowing in the 3 or 4 win range. He had been recruiting Rodney Adams and he seems to be able to get skill positions at La Tech.  Defense still seems to be a bug a boo though.  They were great on D but then loss Manny Diaz as D coordinator and that hurt a lot.  He loves coaching offense. You can see his eyes light up when he talks about designing plays. I'll never convince the haters and the record is what it is.  We just feel there were circumstances that prevented him from getting every athlete he coveted.

I have heard this side of the story many times just not sure what to think of it. Would CJL have had to deal with the same circumstances if the situation didn't occur?

Edited by Ionbull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, Ionbull said:

I have heard this side of the story many times just not sure what to think of it. Would CJL have had to deal with the same circumstances if the situation didn't occur?

No, because he was the most powerful...

Sorry, HAD to go there. :D

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

On 12/26/2016 at 5:10 PM, Bourbon Bull said:

This doesn't jive with the APR story.... Rodney had questionable grades in high school it was a big factor in UF dropping him and why he ended up at Toledo before transferring back home. So either Skip wasn't as handcuffed as he leads on or as I remember from following our recruiting Skip was actually more after Scantling who we lost out on to NCSt.