• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

12 minutes ago, Sipher said:

Oh, and the Big 12 doesn't play defense, so yeah I do think we'd still have gaudy offensive numbers! :D

I agree that the Big 12 has weak D's in general but I am not sure this translates as the general talent level in the Big12 is higher than the AAC. Its hard to say for sure though. I would guess that we would put up number but maybe we are closer to 20 than the 10th best O in the country.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

8 minutes ago, slowdown said:

I wonder what the buyout clauses on the Texas assistant coaches staff are if they take another job.  Texas had a 4.5 million dollar staff and their lowest paid guy wouldve been our second highest.  Gilbert was making $850,000.  I would think even with a sizable bump in our pool we are going to pay an OC around half of that. 

Bedford will have better opportunites IMO, even as a position coach vs DC.  I wonder if Strong had much of a relationship with Dan McCarney. 

Love to have Dan back coaching the D-line

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

26 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Do you think that would be the case if we were in the SEC or Big12? 

I would speculate that we would not be able to out talent as many teams as we did this year if you substitute us in either of those conferences. FSU was not that great of a D, but talent was on par with the many Big12/SEC teams, and we struggled on O. We had a hard time with a not as talented but well coach Temple D as well. Same was true in 2015.

The play calling was not the X factor in 2016. It was FL talent with a spread offense. Moreover, I foresee our O improving under CCS bc the I believe we will get a better OC. Keep the spread and the talent and we will be successful a la CJL and CWT last 2 years. Force a pro style/power set on USF and down we go. I would be willing to take a bet that CCS will stick to the spread because he is a smart coach. Moreover, you better believe Harlan will tell him to keep the spread.

The issue with this thought process is, if we were in the SEC or BIG12 our recruiting success would have likely been different.  With a larger conference would come exposure and likely leading to us securing athletes that are rated a little higher.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, ajusf16 said:

The issue with this thought process is, if we were in the SEC or BIG12 our recruiting success would have likely been different.  With a larger conference would come exposure and likely leading to us securing athletes that are rated a little higher.

AJUSF..you are making way too much sense lately! Also great job w the inside info the last few days even though you were doubted by some.  This is what makes the Bullspen such a great place to hang out.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, yosoybullsfan said:

AJUSF..you are making way too much sense lately! Also great job w the inside info the last few days even though you were doubted by some.  This is what makes the Bullspen such a great place to hang out.  Thank you.

The issue is I have cut out my bourbon lately, trying to shed a few pounds before our twins arrive.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Larry Scott has been mentioned as an Offensive Coordinator. Was 4-2 as head coach at Miami.

Edited by ToroDeFuego

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

11 minutes ago, ajusf16 said:

Not quite actually. The current discussion whether we should keep things as they are (ie the O staff) because the current O is better than the O that Strong had in place at Texas. 

My point is that we can't make this comparison between our O and the O at Texas bc the talent levels are different. We didn't out coach our opponents for the most part, we out talented them. I 'feel' that under strong we will not only be able to out talent but also out coach. Also both those conferences have bottom feeders as well.