• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I grew to like Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

8 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Would he have left if we got a Big12 invite?

Good question. Oregon is one of the top jobs so I think he would since they have the resources to win national title in the next few years 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, Rizman said:

Would he have left if we got a Big12 invite?

It's hard to say.  With a P5 invite, we would have had NC chance and obviously more revenue to be able to pay him and his assistants more.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Let's be real here... CWT was indeed on the hot seat before the offense got turned around. I agree, it wasn't a whole new offense implemented within a week or 2, but, a few more games of failure and he would have been fired. Weren't there reports that Harlan had a meeting with him and may have pushed him to open up the offense a bit too?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/miami-hurricanes-virginia-cavaliers-iowa-hawkeyes-spring-hot-seat-coaches-040215

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/willie-taggart-enters-third-usf-season-on-a-very-hot-seat/2240460

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

The article I originally posted had us moving the the spread just after the failure that was the second season. This was right after reports that Harlan had a meeting with CWT to discuss his future with the University. It was suggested at the time that a change in philosophy would serve him well. The next season we came out with a conservative spread and we kept failing. It was then suggested that CWT's seat was one of the top three hottest in the country. Quinton Flowers and CWT agree that Quinton convinced him to open up with nothing left to lose and we started winning and have not stopped since. I too have come to like CWT and I think he was wise enough to make the necessary changes when it became clear that his job was in jeopardy but I still think he did so reluctantly as all he said and did to start his tenure suggested his desire to force his offense in here. Maybe we can fine signs out of the change from 2014's 30 or so plays QF ran but it certainly didn't look like a change in philosophy, was not particularly effective so probably would not have been the driving force for the change and was completely at odds with anything CWT  was saying before the season ended in 2014.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

4 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

Yeah this couldn't be more true. I can admit I'm no football guru, but some of you guys reaching for ways to justify your dislike for Taggart is ridiculous.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that no matter what talent level you have,  you can't just flip an entire offensive scheme/philosophy in a week, regardless of how motivated you are to do so.

You can't just take a whole bunch of athletes who have never done something in practice repeatedly, throw them on the field, and expect them to just execute without a hitch. No one performing at a high level does that.

At best, we can assume they were practicing these things, but for fear of failure or putting his mentally fragile team into a losing situation, CWT was very conservative with his play calling. He didn't yet trust Flowers to be the qb we know and love today. 

Flowers said trust me/us 》CWT said OK I'll let you all do the plays we've done in practice 》Players showed they can be trusted 》History was made. I think that's the best any of us can do to understand what took place. 

To imply that CWT was on the hot seat and just flipped some switch in a week is ignorant at best. Adversely, anyone saying that CWT wasn't  being conservative in his play calling to begin with, would be guilty of looking back with green and gold goggles. 

We can all agree we wanted more from the CWT regime. We should also be able to agree that he, at the very least, gave us what we needed. AND that is mentally strong, talented, hungry, winning football team, that will go down as one of the greatest in USF history. 

- Sad but grateful Bulls Fan

This!  The basic change CWT made was taking a few more shot's down the field and not trying to protect the offense during long yardage situations/unfavorable down and distance.  This is a tweak in play calling not some radical change in philosophy.  At this point you might as well save your breath though.  A lot of folks are in "spiteful ex mode" and others are just people who have always taken any opportunity to take shots at CWT since he got here.  They had to be quiet a lot over the last season and a half so they're getting their parting shots in since it's open season.  You can't reason with emotion or somebody who already has their mind 100% made up.   

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  441
  • Days Won:  2

I also grew to really like what Taggart was building here which now feels woefully incomplete but seeing this is just painful

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, python815 said:

I also grew to really like what Taggart was building here which now feels woefully incomplete but seeing this is just painful

It really is. Not going to lie it does sting. Wait until you watch the press conference today and hear all of his cute phrases and motivational terms WHILE he has a ******* duck on his hat...it will hurt a little more. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, python815 said:

Opened my USF magazine today, the official magazine of the USF Alumni Association. Just got delivered to me.

Page 28-"Taggart's grand vision for USF Football"

Was not happy.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Opened my USF magazine today, the official magazine of the USF Alumni Association. Just got delivered to me.

Page 28-"Taggart's grand vision for USF Football"

Was not happy.

Was it simply "leave"?