• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Why has no one brought up David Reaves as a potential replacement?  

Probably because CWT retains most of the control, so you really don't know what kind of experience Reaves has.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

19 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Why has no one brought up David Reaves as a potential replacement?  

No way considering the talent at HC that is out there

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 minute ago, Skingraft said:

No way considering the talent at HC that is out there

I guess we'll see.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Just now, Who'sYourData? said:

I guess we'll see.

We shall

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

If money overwhelms loyalty in this case, I'll be glad he's gone.  USF needs a guy that believes he can take this program to new heights.  It needs a head coach to believe in USF as much as he will ask players and recruits to believe.  His leaving would be a sleight to every single player he has recruited to U of South Florida.  If he leaves, his enticements and vision would have been only to serve his own needs.  This school believed in him and gave him a hand up from WKU.  Players believed in him.  He and Harlan should talk this through to determine what makes the most sense.  Sure, we were spoiled to have a coach that would have made USF Football his life's work.  Now we know how rare that can be.  If Willie isn't about USF Football, if he is not #Allin and #OntheBus himself, then we need to #DoSomething and find someone that wants to be here and being a millionaire is enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Brad said:

If money overwhelms loyalty in this case, I'll be glad he's gone.  USF needs a guy that believes he can take this program to new heights.  It needs a head coach to believe in USF as much as he will ask players and recruits to believe.  His leaving would be a sleight to every single player he has recruited to U of South Florida.  If he leaves, his enticements and vision would have been only to serve his own needs.  This school believed in him and gave him a hand up from WKU.  Players believed in him.  He and Harlan should talk this through to determine what makes the most sense.  Sure, we were spoiled to have a coach that would have made USF Football his life's work.  Now we know how rare that can be.  If Willie isn't about USF Football, if he is not #Allin and #OntheBus himself, then we need to #DoSomething and find someone that wants to be here and being a millionaire is enough.

Sorry, but the odds of finding a young quality coach that can win here and won't entertain offers to at least some P5 schools are slim and none.  Leavitt was an incredibly unique situation because USF's football profile increased as his experience and prestige increased.  USF is currently at a plateau.  You aren't going to find someone to come here for $1 or 2 mil that will turn down $5+ mil in a few years if there is success.  You are asking someone to be more loyal to their job than to their family.  I'm not sure how you can expect that.  You can hope for that, but it's going to be a rare find.  Especially when you hire that coach away from a school that they did not show loyalty to by your own definition.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Well said Brad. But I do think at the end of the day all coaches are expendable. We want to fire someone after two losing seasons and they want to leave for greener pastures after the same amount of time. Thus, I think the environment/culture of college football today has decreased the loyalty you are seeking in a coach. Not saying it is impossible to find what you are looking for but it would be extremely difficult in my opinion. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

And it's not just money.  If you are a competitor, which you have to be in order to be a great coach, how can you turn down a chance to move to a school where you can win a NC instead of stay at one you can't?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

His leaving would be a sleight to every single player he has recruited to U of South Florida.  If he leaves, his enticements and vision would have been only to serve his own needs.  This school believed in him and gave him a hand up from WKU. 

This right here is disingenuous. Oregon is the type of school that can say the same thing about us.  They would show they believed in him and gave him a hand up from USF.

• Upvote 3