• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Going for 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

So say we were up by 4 points and Memphis was on our 15 yard line with 2 minutes to go.

Am I alone in thinking I might have had the defense step aside and go ahead and let them score so our offense can have the ball with enough time to go down and score a TD to win or at least a field goal to tie (assuming the other team goes for 1 on the PAT).  Has that ever happened before?  I've seen intentional walks thrown by pitchers that scored a run to avoid a power hitter and face the next batter.

I don't know what I'd say to my defense after the game, as a move like that surely wouldn't help their confidence, but it does say a lot about my faith in the offense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Wonder if coach ever addressed that .... Only thing I can figure is that he maybe thought we assumed he would run one of those times ... but don't remember if all 3 of the passes were play action, though.

I think Norvell said the 3 plays were read-pass-options and the correct read with our stacked box was the pass. Not sure I agreed with him but that's what he said.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Wonder if coach ever addressed that .... Only thing I can figure is that he maybe thought we assumed he would run one of those times ... but don't remember if all 3 of the passes were play action, though.

Even if they were he was he was trying to be too cute considering how they were gashing us on the ground.  They had just had a 5yd run to go from 1st and goal from the 8 to 2nd and goal at the 3 and they stopped the clock with a time out before 2nd and goal with 53 seconds left.  Sometimes coaches try too hard to be the smartest guy in the stadium rather than just sticking to what has been working.  Thankfully it worked out for us.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

2 minutes ago, Boomer said:

So say we were up by 4 points and Memphis was on our 15 yard line with 2 minutes to go.

Am I alone in thinking I might have had the defense step aside and go ahead and let them score so our offense can have the ball with enough time to go down and score a TD to win or at least a field goal to tie (assuming the other team goes for 1 on the PAT).  Has that ever happened before?  I've seen intentional walks thrown by pitchers that scored a run to avoid a power hitter and face the next batter.

I don't know what I'd say to my defense after the game, as a move like that surely wouldn't help their confidence, but it does say a lot about my faith in the offense.

I think the rule of thumb there is that if a chip shot field goal would beat you then you let them score and get the ball back. However, where they would need to get into the end zone to beat you I do not see why you would concede that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, SANJAY said:

I think Norvell said the 3 plays were read-pass-options and the correct read with our stacked box was the pass. Not sure I agreed with him but that's what he said.

Yup, just like i thought, he was trying to be cute. You have a time out just run the dang ball on at least one play.   

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

On 11/14/2016 at 0:04 AM, Triple B said:

Until Emilio gets back, I think we should pull a Mike Tomlin and go for 2 after every td ...

Yup

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

21 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

I think the rule of thumb there is that if a chip shot field goal would beat you then you let them score and get the ball back. However, where they would need to get into the end zone to beat you I do not see why you would concede that.

I honestly would not have put any amount of money on our team stopping them.  It even took stupid play calling and a missed PI for them to not get in on their last drive.

Rule of thumb, no.  But with this defense this year, I'd have to strongly consider it.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

It happened a bunch of years ago with the Bucs and (Jets, I think). I don't remember why exactly, but it seems to me it had to do with someone getting a rushing record. Anybody else remember this?

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I said this during the Temple game.  I think they were up 1 after the Kean pick and the next TD made it 8.  There are definitely times where its a sound strategic move (no timeouts left and the only way to get the ball back is to allow a score)

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, charsibb said:

It happened a bunch of years ago with the Bucs and (Jets, I think). I don't remember why exactly, but it seems to me it had to do with someone getting a rushing record. Anybody else remember this?

Good God that was a long time ago (I believe 1985) as I was a student at USF and actually attended that game. James wilder was the bucs RB and was close to some rushing record. The jets had the ball on the five yard line and the bucs let the jets walk into the end zone so Wilder could get the record. However when the bucs got the ball back they shut wilder down.  Thus the bucs lost the game and wilder did not get the record....typical Bucs. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull