• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Navy Fans are pretty cool and humble people. They are laughing at our comments about losing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

I went on the Navy Blog http://www.scout.com/college/navy/forums/2434-gomidshipmen/15080546-get-ready-for-south-florida?page=2 and they are having a field day at the negative yet hilarious comments we are making about our own team. Most of them seem confident they can beat us, but they are not ripping our team. Besides disliking the point spread they are baffled by how rough we are being on our team. 

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Whether we win or lose, Navy fans have earned my respect as being some pretty cool fans. I don't even think they have fully accepted that they are a good team. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

This was posted by a Navy fan on another board, complete with links. I appreciate their fans more now.

"One of the things I like most about being in the American is that we can learn about each other's teams and schools. I noticed several questions about Navy's offense in recent weeks. While I'm no expert, I thought I could point folks to some references.

Navy's base play is the triple option (sometimes called Inside Veer) out of the flexbone (called "the spread" by Paul Johnson) formation. In it, we create a numbers advantage by running to the weak side of the defense and by reading defenders rather than blocking them.
Triple Option

To combat it, defenses do many things, some mentioned in recent "I would do XX" posts. There is a counter-punch for most things that a defense does to combat our base play.
If - Then methodology

Common complementary plays:
1) Counter option

2) Midline option
Midline 1
Midline 2

3) Rocket toss
Rocket Toss

4) Zone Dive
Zone Dive

Hope this helps."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

If Navy lost to Temple the way we lost to Temple, my guess is that their board would not be too dissimilar to ours. 

We as fans had higher expectations of the actual outcome. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, BullFan98 said:

If Navy lost to Temple the way we lost to Temple, my guess is that their board would not be too dissimilar to ours. 

We as fans had higher expectations of the actual outcome. 

I notice that there wasn't any smack talk on the Navy board. I don't think they have high expectations for their team. I think they are happy with a winning record and a decent bowl game. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

True.  We gave up moving to the next level long ago (around 1963 or so).  After miserable seasons from 1997 to 2001, there were some who thought the program needed to move down to the FCS (Div IA) level.

Edited by 71GoatsDoRoam
correction

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Tbh if USF doesn't win the American, I'd rather Navy won it over any other team in our conference. I admire the sacrifices our military men and women make, and their traditions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

When we left the Navy game last year, my first comment was:  man, ALL these fans are cool & gracious.  It's hard to be mad losing to Navy.  I was upset at losing, but the Navy team & fans were first class all the way.

I hope we outscore them Friday night, and right OUR ship.  Then, I'll be hoping CIncy beats Temple.  Time for Gunner Kiel to create a legacy.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Do we storm the field if we pull the upset?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I wonder if we will sing Navy's song (Anchors Away?) before singing the Alma Mater after the game?

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Navy fans know there are many things that can be far more traumatic than a football game.  War isn't fun, win or lose.  

Football games are fun, win or lose.