• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is Good to Go!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

5 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

The Taggart was also asked if someone else like Jancek could call the plays and he said no because he ran a different scheme. So either we are getting more of the same or Willie is being coy. I think the former is true. He believes energy and intensity will overcome 325 lbs linemen with 180 lbs CBs.  uggghhhhh!!!

Pretty sure the biggest guy on Navy's line is 250 or so. They don't tolerate weight for weight's sake in the Academies

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

54 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Pretty sure the biggest guy on Navy's line is 250 or so. They don't tolerate weight for weight's sake in the Academies

That was clearly demonstrated in Full Metal Jacket. Poor Sgt. Pile.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, charsibb said:

This use to be true but I believe they now receive waivers while playing.  See the roster with weights:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/2426

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

CWT had Woodie read these

https://www.xandolabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2090:defending-the-option-with-the-4-2-5&catid=95&Itemid=164

https://www.google.com/amp/www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/05/35605/film-study-defending-navy-flexbone%3famp?client=safari

And then of course our secret weapon, the fumble when the navy ball carriers are looking at the Sun Dolls instead of paying attention to the pitch.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

We need to beef up our personnel selection and stay in scheme.  Utilize timeouts during long drives to keep fresh in first half.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808

Here is what one coach said about defending the option:

"How about teaching kids that the option loves passive defenses. Kick the crap out of the option before it gets outside the tackle box or watch it explode. Meet the diveback in the backfield, meet the QB after the fb dive. Then get the defender assigned to pitchback upfield, passed the los, in the backfield, in the pitchback's face and pummeling him before the ball even gets there.
That is how you stop it.
I watched a team do it time and time again and every one of their option opponents had their backup/scout/throwing QB taking snaps in the middle of the 2nd quarter. We all know how that ended up."

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Stout in the middle to take away the fullback dive and swarm to the perimeter, force the pitch and tackle.  Other than stout in the middle on occasion this year I think we have a lot of work ahead of us this week.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  262
  • Days Won:  2

It's behind a paywall on TOS so I'm not going to say what it is, but there is a major change coming Friday in the defense.  Will it work?  Who knows.  But no one can say they didn't try to slow them down.  

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502

19 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

They put up 56 on us this week.  With our "score in 2 minutes" or "3 and out" offense they will control the ball, the clock and the scoreboard.  This won't be pretty.  After the game the people on the Bullspen will blame the lack of students, the crowd and the guy in back of them for telling them to sit down on 3rd down (assuming they get to any 3rd downs).  Of course Fire Woodie will make the rounds as well.  

First time this year I'll be walking into RayJay feeling we don't have a chance.  Even with FSU I thought we had a chance.  Not feeling it this week.  If I thought QF was 100% I'd have some hope but I just don't believe he is.

The optimist that I am, before the Temple game I bought extra tickets for Navy to bring my wife's parents to the game, hoping to turn them into Bull's fans.  If I have to listen to her dad complain all game about how bad our defense is, I'll go broke in the beer line.  The team might lose bad, but we'll be there supporting them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

47 minutes ago, BullsBoltsJagsRays said:

It's behind a paywall on TOS so I'm not going to say what it is, but there is a major change coming Friday in the defense.  Will it work?  Who knows.  But no one can say they didn't try to slow them down.  

Looks like a smart strategy but I'm hoping we continue to make adjustments and not just against navy (which should have been an adjustment game anyways)