• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The game of FB needs to evolve

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, Rex Havoc said:

UT player being taken off on a stretcher after a helmet to helmet hit. They have his neck immobilized. Hate to see injuries like this. 

The reality is that we enjoy the game but if we start thinking about the players, as let say family members, it's hard to justify not changing the game for their safety.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

22 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

The reality is that we enjoy the game but if we start thinking about the players, as let say family members, it's hard to justify not changing the game for their safety.

Yeah I love football, but watching his mom and the fear in her eyes got to me a little. Football is an amazing game, but you're just 1 hit from being paralyzed or worse. I wouldn't want any of my family members playing football. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

Yeah I love football, but watching his mom and the fear in her eyes got to me a little. Football is an amazing game, but you're just 1 hit from being paralyzed or worse. I wouldn't want any of my family members playing football. 

This was when it started to sink in for me.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/sports/long-island-high-school-player-dies-after-football-collision-officials-say.html

This was 5 mins down the road from where my wife and I were living, also where my son was born. 

Here is another scary article where the high school never really got his bell rung but still had symptoms just from repeated "normal" blows to the head over the course of football.

https://cdn.ampproject.org/v/www.si.com/high-school/2016/09/07/high-school-football-player-death-long-island-new-rochelle?amp=1&amp_js_v=5

3 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

This was when it started to sink in for me.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/sports/long-island-high-school-player-dies-after-football-collision-officials-say.html

This was 5 mins down the road from where my wife and I were living, also where my son was born. 

Here is another scary article where the high school never really got his bell rung but still had symptoms just from repeated "normal" blows to the head over the course of football.

https://cdn.ampproject.org/v/www.si.com/high-school/2016/09/07/high-school-football-player-death-long-island-new-rochelle?amp=1&amp_js_v=5

It sucks reading stuff like that, but honestly I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. My fiancé and I were at the game today and she said "I'm shocked more players don't get seriously injured". 

4 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

It sucks reading stuff like that, but honestly I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. My fiancé and I were at the game today and she said "I'm shocked more players don't get seriously injured". 

Well several kids die each year from direct blows taken while playing while many more pass away from football related events. 

http://m.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/high-school-football-death-camron-matthews

That doesn't account for post football long term effects.

Just now, Bull-Hornz said:

Well several kids die each year from direct blows taken while playing while many more pass away from football related events. 

http://m.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/high-school-football-death-camron-matthews

That doesn't account for post football long term effects.

Yeah i watched the movie Concussion and read some reports about the long term effects. I thanked my parents for never letting me play football. I really wanted to play football for years, and my mom never signed the form. My parents let me play everything but football. I ended up loving to play tennis and golf.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

The game has and will continue to evolve.  Instead of looking at equipment and rules, look at who is playing I,t and more importantly who is not.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

13 hours ago, Rex Havoc said:

Yeah unfortunately I agree with you, most probably pick easy majors with little job potential. Maybe it's time the NFL makes a minor league system like most sports? Let the really gifted football players go straight from high school to a developmental system like baseball does. I think collegiate atheletes should be real students who actually want to get a degree. I'd say a decent portion of our players see school as a burden and something they have to do, not want to do. 

I used to think this way but in reality what baseball does is far worse for someone.  get drafted out of high school, play 8 years in the minors for almost no pay then have absolutely no job prospects and no education to fall back on. at least with college you get the opportunity to get a free education and I disagree about there being a decent portion that think of school as a burden.

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

I used to think this way but in reality what baseball does is far worse for someone.  get drafted out of high school, play 8 years in the minors for almost no pay then have absolutely no job prospects and no education to fall back on. at least with college you get the opportunity to get a free education and I disagree about there being a decent portion that think of school as a burden.

Regardless of the semantics, it's a fact that athletes have a higher demand on their time due to sports which is time other students can spend in the classroom. Furthermore, this leads the majority to choosing majors that have very little job prospects. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2014/7/9/5885433/ncaa-trial-student-athletes-education?client=ms-android-att-us

Edited by Bull-Hornz

3 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

The game has and will continue to evolve.  Instead of looking at equipment and rules, look at who is playing I,t and more importantly who is not.

Not sure what you are insinuating...but I think the game can provide opportunities for many with out risking their lives and providing proper compensation for their efforts.